Minimal cost options for CM 1.2m mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RnR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2007
I'm currently looking around for a pole that will support a reclaimed CM 1.2M.

Now, I'd never classify myself as knowledgeable when it comes to steel tubing options, but it would appear that the standard mount for this dish (originally deployed for Primestar use sometime ago) is a touch too big for 2 1/2" ID Sched. 40. That type gets you about 2 7/8" OD.

Kinda looks to me that the mount needs a true 3" OD pipe or a touch over that to successfully mate with when you clamp 'er down on the pipe.

Likely there are a number of you that have already installed this dish successfully with the fixed factory mount - so I'd be interested if any of you came up with a unique and possibly cheap solution for the pipe.

Thank you China ($$) for today's steel prices!!

I don't know about a 1.2m CM, but the 1m Primestar I rescued, made by CM, has a 2-3/8" pole for it. I rescued the pole also. I'm just as sure the P* mount will fit a 3" pipe with no problems....

The 1.2m is a different story; the mount's integrated pole clamp needs a 3" pipe as far as I can tell.

Maybe there's a way to bulk up a smaller pipe, but I suspect there is a standard size/type that would do the trick. I mean, how else could P* deploy them all in the first place? :confused:

But the desire and need to save some money seems to grow every day. However, I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish!

Last edited:
I appreciate the link!

The table shows nothing at 3" OD; so thanks for the verification of a suspicion that I'll have to head into the local metropolis, stop at a fencing supply and look at their 3" galvanized tubing. Maybe I'll have a chance at something a tad thinner than SS40, but will still net me the required 3".

Not lookin' too good in the savings department thus far...

The 2-1/2 (this is ID) from either chart is the 3" you are looking for.

I wish it were so, VV (please refer to my first post), but the corresponding 2.875 OD for both types doesn't quite get me there. The thing is that the "clamp" on the mount only gets down to 3". There is a thin pad inside the mount that permits you to say that a tru 3" OD is just right, and that's what I'm shootin' for.

CHEAP:

People have taken a foot of plastic pipe about the right size, cut a slit down one side, and forced it onto the smaller pipe to make the outside diameter larger.
Not sure this is good advice for your particular case, but that's up to you. :cool:

ALSO, the mounts should have a range of pipe sizes they'll accommodate.
Not just one magic size...

I welded a collar on my pipe with my 90cm Primestar (channel master) to bring it up to 3" that the mount wanted, works well.

Attachments

• ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 196
I welded a collar on my pipe with my 90cm Primestar (channel master) to bring it up to 3" that the mount wanted, works well.

Interesting... what kind of pipe was the collar made from?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)