minimum 1 joey per hopper

Were you able to get any configuration that includes less than 1 joey per hopper?

• Total voters

wo0t

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
USA
Just wondering how many people have actually gotten around the supposed minimum 1 joey for each hopper policy (ie. 2h/1j, 2h/0j, 1h/0j)

When installing my 4 Joeys , they all were installed on the 1st Hopper. They was a signal at each TVS set and they appeared to work. I moved two Joeys over to the other Hooper

eddwall said:
When installing my 4 Joeys , they all were installed on the 1st Hopper. They was a signal at each TVS set and they appeared to work. I moved two Joeys over to the other Hooper

Sorry using IPhone...two Joeys were moved over to Hopper two ... To balance loading on tuners

I hopper, no Joey, installed this afternoon with no hassles.

To anyone that gets told by a CSR it's not possible, hang up and call again, or offer to email the CSR the Dish training materials that clearly show the 1 Hopper/-0- Joey config.

I haven't had the install done, but a chat CSR quoted me $200 for two hoppers and only one joey. It took some explaining to get two hoppers and one Joey (and talking to a supervisor), but they were ready to roll the truck and get the upgrade done. So it does seem like the Joey requirement is not a mandatory thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Excellent.

Even if the CSR forces you to order 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, I wonder if you can just tell the installer "don't bother installing the 2nd Joey, I don't want it anymore."

I assume the work order would have to be modified and if the same system limitations were present the first time, could possibly be present again when trying to get the work order to match what the tech is actually needing to do.

It would also be great if those who got the 2H/1J, which even DIRT says isn't possible, would explain how they ordered. Did you use Dish CSR, local retailer, etc?

I called the 888 number on the Dish website Thur morning. Asked for 2 hoppers and 1 Joey. They wanted to if I wanted 1 hopper and 2 joeys. I said no. Explained I wanted the extra turners, so I could have double play/swap on 2 tvs. Talked to a supervisor and it was set up. Sat morning a manger called wanted to double check 2 hoppers and 1 Joey. He needed to bring the Duo node if it was correct. The installer had everything ready when the manger showed up. I was a new install. I had been with Direct for 10 years, maybe new installs are different than upgrades?

bb83 said:
I called the 888 number on the Dish website Thur morning. Asked for 2 hoppers and 1 Joey. They wanted to if I wanted 1 hopper and 2 joeys. I said no. Explained I wanted the extra turners, so I could have double play/swap on 2 tvs. Talked to a supervisor and it was set up. Sat morning a manger called wanted to double check 2 hoppers and 1 Joey. He needed to bring the Duo node if it was correct. The installer had everything ready when the manger showed up. I was a new install. I had been with Direct for 10 years, maybe new installs are different than upgrades?

I would be a new install and I keep getting shut down on the two hopper one Joey set up :(

Seems to me Dish should charge $10/month for extra Hoppers beyond the first, $7/month for Joeys, and remove the Hopper/Joey restrictions. The $10 and $7 pricing would mirror the $17 charge for duo ViP receivers. Why they didn't do something simple like that is beyond me.

Update got the ok for two hopper one Joey. Politely explained why I wanted second hopper over Joey in case one goes out and down the road when they can integrate. Sales Had to speak to escalation team. Got the ok, just wanted me to know that there would be a 199 chrarge that I was ok with

Last edited:
Just did a chat with Dish through their website and told them I wanted to check on price to get 2H/1J. CSR said I could upgrade to 1H/2J for $100 and no install fee. I explained the three tuner Hopper was not enough for my home and that I would need 2H/1J...and that I knew it was possible because I was a member of this forum and that several members have this configuration right now in their home. CSR checked and came back in a few minutes to say I can upgrade to 2H/1J for $200 with no installation fee. :clap:yes

So it appears whatever the word was on day one...it has been updated to allow this configuration.

Just did a chat with Dish through their website and told them I wanted to check on price to get 2H/1J. CSR said I could upgrade to 1H/2J for $100 and no install fee. I explained the three tuner Hopper was not enough for my home and that I would need 2H/1J...and that I knew it was possible because I was a member of this forum and that several members have this configuration right now in their home. CSR checked and came back in a few minutes to say I can upgrade to 2H/1J for $200 with no installation fee. :clap:yes

So it appears whatever the word was on day one...it has been updated to allow this configuration.

For me with future integration of the two hoppers, really wanted two now as a new customer where when they did integrate it will cost $$$ then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)