Minimum monthly contract with HBO?

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Hi guys. I want to sign up for HBO just to watch the last season of The Sopranos. The season runs until June. My question is, can I cancel the HBO subscription in June, or is there minimum monthly contract of 6 or 12 months for example?

You can cancel anytime, but I think there is a $5 downgrade fee anytime you drop service.

I don't see how that is extortion. It is done to cut done on people doing exactly what you are doing.

I don't see how that is extortion. It is done to cut done on people doing exactly what you are doing.

I don't agree with the down grade fee either, but slammin is right that is what they do it for.

Interesting point. I still think HBO and Dish should be happy to get extra money for programming for 3 months instead of getting no money. In the end, $5 is not a big deal...thanks for the input guys.

Interesting point. I still think HBO and Dish should be happy to get extra money for programming for 3 months instead of getting no money. In the end, $5 is not a big deal...thanks for the input guys.

Of course it isn't a big deal...that's why they charge it. Free money for a CSR to click a mouse a couple times to remove the channel. Like the cop sitting at the end of a freeway ramp where the speed limit was 65 on the highway but the ramp is 25. They like to call those fundraisers...

People who watch original programs like Sopranos, forget that HBO & Showtime both show a lot of uncut and uninterrupted movies, as well as sports, like big Boxing matches.

So, the $5 downgrade fee is to prevent people from signing up for HBO, just to watch one movie or Boxing match, and then unsubscribing a day later.

Otherwise, the total cost for the day of HBO would be $0.50, as opposed to $3 or $4 for a PPV movie.

Does anyone know how to get a good deal on HBO? I'm wanting to do the same thing. Is there any way to get it for a discount for being a good subscriber?

Does anyone know how to get a good deal on HBO? I'm wanting to do the same thing. Is there any way to get it for a discount for being a good subscriber?

Buy the company, then you can get it for free. Otherwise, you get to pay what everyone else pays. No discounts on the movie channels.

Hi guys. I want to sign up for HBO just to watch the last season of The Sopranos. The season runs until June. My question is, can I cancel the HBO subscription in June, or is there minimum monthly contract of 6 or 12 months for example?

When you upgrade to HBO there is an 18 month commitment to Great Wall. jk. 5$ transaction fee downgrade which I never charge. Hopefully a nice agent will do the same for you!

but it sounds like he's going to keep it for the whole series so it would just be a $5 downgrade fee.

My dad does the same thing :)

I think I see the misunderstanding on the $5 downgrade fee.
Remember, you are not charged for a month's worth of programming - you are charged for the time you have it. Therefore, as stated in another post, someone could watch one movie or event for 80 cents. If alot of people did that not only would the call centers be much busier, but I imagine those that do subscribe would eventually have to pay more. People would keep changing packages probably too if there were no penalty. I do think if you have the service for a period of time - say six months, you should not be charged a downgrade fee. The other way to do it would be to charge for a month's service or even two months even if you cancelled before the two months is up, with no fee.

As I think about it, 80 cents a day for how much I watch HBO - remember several channels - is not a bad deal. How much cheaper do you want it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts