Minimum needed for HBO and or Showtime?

CDH

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 28, 2004
Greenville, SC
I have been a (mostly) happy Dish subscriber since Voom went "boom". I still have a 622, which is on lease. The thing is, I barely ever watch TV any more. And the little I do watch is usually HBO (usually through HBO GO).

I was looking and found an old thread about getting just locals and HBO/Showtime: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/223158-Subscribe-only-to-HBO-or-Showtime

So what would the minimum be now?

In a perfect world I would return my 622, just pay Dish Network for HBO, and access it via HBO Go (without a receiver). But it seems unlikely that would be possible. Back in 2010 someone mentioned purchasing a receiver and paying a "no basic programming fee" of $6/month. I was looking at a 211k for under $100.

If I bought a receiver to link to my account could I just use the HBO GO service without hooking it up?

If I did actually hook up the receiver then I assume could connect a hard drive since I already paid the $40 account fee on my 622 ages ago, and I assume I could also connect my OTA antenna. (I understand I'd still have to pay for locals if I wanted guide information.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The minimum would be the Welcome Pack. The 211 would have to be connected and activated. You would have to pay another $40.00 for EHD. The $40 you paid years ago, and no longer necessary, does not apply to the 211. It was for the VIP series receivers.

Thanks for the very prompt reply. It sounds like it is no longer possible to just pay for locals plus HBO as it was a few years ago. I think at that rate I'll just cut the cord completely.

Any idea if I put the account on "pause" whether I could still access HBO Go (which links to my Dish log-in credentials)?

Thanks!

I think at that rate I'll just cut the cord completely.

Any idea if I put the account on "pause" whether I could still access HBO Go (which links to my Dish log-in credentials)?

Thanks!
That question was asked a little while ago. With HBO go, you have to reauthorize once ever 4-6 weeks. So if you pause, you might be good for a while, but when time for authorization, you would not be able to.

It sounds like it is no longer possible to just pay for locals plus HBO as it was a few years ago. I think at that rate I'll just cut the cord completely.
I don't like saying "it's only" when it's someone else's money, but the Welcome Pack is $19.99/month and includes locals (I'm certain - I think ALL packages include locals now). You might be able to get Dish to give you a promotional rate for HBO and you can often keep refreshing it every time it runs out (I've done this with BB@Home for a couple of years now).

I wish we could just pay HBO directly for the GO app without having to sub to a provider for it.

I don't like saying "it's only" when it's someone else's money, but the Welcome Pack is $19.99/month and includes locals (I'm certain - I think ALL packages include locals now). You might be able to get Dish to give you a promotional rate for HBO and you can often keep refreshing it every time it runs out (I've done this with BB@Home for a couple of years now).

While you may be able to "refresh" a special rate on the other premiums (Cinemax/Showtime/Starz/Blockbuster/Heartland/Encore/Multisport), you can't do that on HBO. The system locks it out. If you go back to full price, or drop it, after a while, that special HBO offer MAY be available again.

(And folks, please, don't tell me how an agent made it happen for you. Agents can find ways to cheat the system...those agent can also be fired for it, too)

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts