Minneapolis gets their 1st low powered digital

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
TBN in Minneapolis went from analog to digital

Trinity Broadcasting Network has converted its Minneapolis low-power TV station, K25IA, to digital, giving Twin Cities DTV viewers another five program options: TBN, Church Channel, JCTV, TBN Enlace, and TBN Kids. K25IA-D operates at 15kW, the maximum power for low-power digital TV stations, theoretically covering the entire Twin Cities metro area.

nope its 25 and yes you need to rescan unless you can manually scan in 25 (I did that with the DTV Pal)

Sure its religious stuff but some of the stuff on smile of a child the nieces like...and I dont have to turn on the FTA system to see it

whats left for low powered here in Mpls

7-Telefutura
13-Univision
14-3 Angels (3ABN)
19-EWTN
43-HSN
62-Daystar

and I guess 2 low powered digital stations are moving to Minneapolis too
28 which is in Montgomery (cant pick it up though)
50 in Elk River

both are moving closer to Mpls...both are religious channels

agreed

on my TV (Panasonic) they show as "K25IA-D" for all 5 channels as the ID. I renamed them and now the guide shows what I renamed it to
TBN
CHURCH
JCTV
SOAC
TBN ENL

like I say its a few extra channels :)

Picked up 25-1 thru 25-5 last night from the tw cities, it seemed the weather was just right, although the picture
pix elated quite a bit, but I thought it was pretty good, as tvfool.com shows my location as 92 miles away from
the cities, which I had thought was a little more than 92. I also locked in 16-8, and 16-9, but I don't what they
are, as I never got a picture on either of them. This is with a Winegard 8200U at 63' up. The analog reception
used to be real good here, but the trees have really grown up over the last 18 years, and really clobber the
signal in the summer.

Bob

I have never been a big believer that leaves cut TV signal strength that much. I concede there is a little degradation due to leaves, but it is not a major factor.

Evergreens have been shown to be more detrimental to signal than desiduous trees and UHF is more effected than VHF, the higher the channel the more a factor the water in tree leaves/needles is.

The 8200U is probably the best VHF wide band antenna out there, but if you are mostly interested in UHF signals, the 8200U's UHF performance is not the best.

The Winegard HD8800 is the best UHF antenna for channels below 25 and only the CM4228 and the DB-8 are slightly better from 25 to 48 where the 91-XG takes over. (Data from HDTVPrimer.com)

I'd remove the UHF part of the 8200U and add one of the recommended UHF only antennas combined with a UVSJ or a CM7777 pre-amp.

Comparing HDTVPrimer's data to Winegard's data on the 8200U, It is very close on channel 14 but drops off from there while all the UHF antennas go up from there to a difference of 4-5 dB.

Thanks, Jim5506. I'll take a look at HDTVPrimer.com. I have a CM 4228 mounted 7' below the WG 8200U, on the same tower, and the leaves really affect it big time for 18-1 out of Eau Claire. I have turned it towards
Duluth, and am picking up 21 Fox, and NBC 6 (19), and it is coming in pretty good. As far as doing any changes to the existing setup, that's never going to happen, as it was a lot of time & money to get it where it is.
Also, what is the WG 8800 ?, or is that a typo ?.

Bob

Thanks Ice, I finally picked up 2-3, and 2-4 yesterday also, on the same scan.

they will be moving sometime after June12th...they're going to move to digital 23

some info on it (courtesy of northpine)
After a theoretical trip up and down the dial, it appears KTCI-DT (St. Paul) will finally land on channel 23. The Twin Cities Public Television station has been on analog channel 17 since 1965 and digital channel 16 since 1999. It had initially planned to move to channel 26 after the digital transition, using KMSP-DT's antenna after KMSP-DT moves to channel 9, but later determined the antenna could not be used at a suitable power level. It then proposed moving to channel 38, but Duluth-Superior Educational Television opposed that plan. Duluth-Superior operates WDSE/8 (Duluth), which operates on digital channel 38 but will move to digital channel 8 after the transition, and wanted to reserve channel 38 for a future non-commercial station licensed to Superior. TPT and Duluth-Superior later reached a settlement agreement whereby KTCI would request channel 23, formerly used by the analog signal of WUCW (Minneapolis). The FCC has now approved the new channel 23 allotment, but KTCI-DT will still have to apply for and receive a construction permit before making the actual change. KTCI-DT remaps to digital channels 2.3 and 2.4, matching the channels of sister station KTCA-DT. As part of the settlement agreement, Duluth-Superior agreed to drop its proposal to allot channel 38 to Superior, but the proposal could theoretically be revived since the channel will be vacant.

Ice!, where will 23 CW go ?.

they are on digital 22 (mapped to 23)...they went digital only on 2/17

on the 12th of June there will be some channels moving around
9 & 11 will move to their analog spots on VHF
29 & 45 will move to their analog spots on UHF
5 will move from DT50 to DT35 (right now KARE 11 is on DT35)

later on the above will happen to KTCI 17 (DT16)

No Static At All, When I turn the WG 8200U towards Eau Claire, I get DT 13, 18, and 48 at a low but steady signal, usually 1 or 2 bars.
18 is the best signal ,then 13, and 48. I normally leave the CM 4228 pointed at Eau Claire, and WEAU is almost impossible to get at any time of the year with it.
I only stuck the CM 4228 up there, to get local news, as 18 comes in super, but we pretty much have become used to watching the cities all the time, after 20 years, so I leave the WG 8200U pointed there, and don't usually move it. Also, thanks for the link, will take a look.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts