Status
Please reply by conversation.

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
There is currently a new software update being released to both "series 1" and "series 2" DirecTivo boxes. The update fixes issues with audio dropouts on the optical output, a closed captioning problem and the problem with some DirecTivos locking up at 28% on bootup. The new software version numbers are 3.1.0b for the "series 1' and 3.1.1b for the "series 2". The software update also changes HDVR2 boxes to HDVR3. No one is quite sure why. Rumor has it that it will take approximately three weeks for all DirecTivo boxes to be updated to this version. The roll out is totally random and you can not force your box to update.

This update has fixed the sound dropout after trick play for both my unit's. I havn't been experiencing any random dropouts either, but havn't been watching much tv. I'll give it a week and see if there are any dropouts.

Even though the audio dropout problem after pause or trick play has been fixed with this upgrade, a couple of users in another forum have reported that they now get audio dropouts after switching tuners while watching live TV.

I still haven't received the upgrade on my HDVR2 yet.

Even though the audio dropout problem after pause or trick play has been fixed with this upgrade, a couple of users in another forum have reported that they now get audio dropouts after switching tuners while watching live TV.

If it's only 1 dropout,like say for a second after switching tuners and that's it. That's no big deal. The repeating random dropouts were a problem for me.

There has always been a minor delay in audio (1-2 seconds) when you switch tuners or hit play after being paused. The dropouts that are being referenced were happening during normal playback. From what I understand from other forums these have been corrected.

soon for the new hdvr 3 will it have 5.1 output wiil there be fee per month

Well I seem to have sound dropouts on the optical hookup. I was watching/listening to music choice and the sound kept on dropping out.I switched to analog and it seemed ok.
We'll see.

Maybe need another receiver?

Several people said that there seems to be a compatibility issue between DirecTiVo and some brands of receivers.
I remember reading about this person who complained about the same audio dropout issue on the optical output too even after the upgrade. He then bought another receiver made by another manufacturer and no problems whatsoever.

geneb11, unfortunately you night want to consider looking at other receivers maybe?

I have heard this before as well. It was a long time ago. There were in fact certain receivers that did not like the optical output of the DirecTiVo. I am sure a search over at the tivocommunity forums would do the trick.

geneb11, unfortunately you night want to consider looking at other receivers maybe?

I don't know about that. I have the same receivers on both unit's (Pioneer VSX D-508). The one upstairs that seems to be working alright has a cheap 3' optical cable I bought on E-Bay and it's real thin. The one downstairs has a 6' AV Reasearch cable from Bestbuy. Maybe I should try changing the cable first.

There is one thing that these units(HDVR2s) have that others don't is that flap. That flap has to swing open inside. Maybe the gap is to wide.

I just experienced audio dropouts for the first time during normal palyback on my receiver.

Seemed to be localised to a Showtime channel.

I'm DD, I'm not DD, I'm DD, not DD......

If this is the first time you have ever experienced audio dropouts it may have been related to uplink problems and not a problem with your equipment.

geneb11 said:
Well I seem to have sound dropouts on the optical hookup. I was watching/listening to music choice and the sound kept on dropping out.I switched to analog and it seemed ok.
We'll see.

That's exactly what happened to me! :shock:

Well this is just a rumor,but I was over at the tivocommunity and a person claims to have had a Hughes CSR tell him that the DVR-40 has had a hardware fix for this.

edit: almost forgot, they also said the SD-dvr40 resolves this issue in the hardware. And that is why I'm trying to exchange for the new model.

I'll be back with the link.
Here's the link:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=951ecf3880e8f8c5ea4a17ad6ba436df&threadid=142258

I would like to know if it's a software or hardware problem. After the last software fix I still get dropouts but they are quicker.

Well it seems that an optical to digital coax converter has helped a couple of people. You can pick one up at Radio Shack for $15 bucks. I will pick one up and try it. I Hope it works

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)