Missing Indie and Retro HD

shimma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
I have America's Top 250 with HD & Platinum. I have found five of the new HD channels (don't have Showtime) but can't find the new Retro and Indie channels.
Can anyone help? Thanks.:eek:

ALSO U have to hve 129 or EA to see it if you have 61.5 your SH!T out of luck

Is English your Third Language? Is it too much to ask to use Actual English and use proper Grammar and or punctuation. It might be easy for you to understand your post as you wrote it, but any other person is going to try to read that statement using the rules of grammar and that makes trying to understand your post quite hard.

I think Koilvr meant to say, "All the additional HD channels are only available from the 129 or 72.7 orbital slots. If the OP only has a 61.5 Dish he will not be able to view Retro or Indie HD."

Or to directly convert Koilvr statement, "(You) have to (HAVE) 129 or Eastern Arc to see it (,) if you have 61.5 you are ( or You're not Your as it's Possessive) SH*T out of luck.

John

It is a moot point anyway. If the original poster is already able to get five of the new channels then the configuration shouldn't be the issue. Are the channels just missing or are they listed in red? Try using the "All HD" list.

Is English your Third Language? Is it too much to ask to use Actual English and use proper Grammar and or punctuation. It might be easy for you to understand your post as you wrote it, but any other person is going to try to read that statement using the rules of grammar and that makes trying to understand your post quite hard.

I think Koilvr meant to say, "All the additional HD channels are only available from the 129 or 72.7 orbital slots. If the OP only has a 61.5 Dish he will not be able to view Retro or Indie HD."

Or to directly convert Koilvr statement, "(You) have to (HAVE) 129 or Eastern Arc to see it (,) if you have 61.5 you are ( or You're not Your as it's Possessive) SH*T out of luck.

John

Wow!! Thanks for the English lesson. I bet you don't have to many friends. Do you just sit there correcting everyones mistakes? Do you wanna come here and wipe my *** to? Life must really suck for you, if you sit there letting words piss you off that much. Do you pull your hair when you see newspapers making punctuation and grammar mistakes? I think you need some therapy, it's OK thou life gets tougher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you wanna come here and wipe my ass to? Life must really suck for you, if you sit there letting words piss you off that much.

Actually I love my life, I have many close friends, but I appreciate your concern, though.

One last thing, "It is wipe my *** (TOO not to)." There are three 2's to, too, two, TOO is possessive, and is the proper use :>)

My original post was just to point out without proper English structure your meaning can be misconstrued, and or misunderstood. If you can't get your point across why even bother answering the question in the first place.

I was merely suggesting you use proper structure so you can better get your point across. No need to go postal.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you "old corps" and "Volmaul." Guess I missed these channels in the All HD guide list.

Thank you "old corps" and "Volmaul." Guess I missed these channels in the All HD guide list.

Funny thing though. I'm getting a nice wide screen presentation on Retro. However, Indie is showing a wide screen movie in letterbox. Bravo also does this pretty consistantly. I wonder why this is so. Do these channels save money by displaying cropped versions?

Thanks again. I like these forums.

Are you speaking about black bars, top and bottom? That is OAR Original Aspect Ratio. If the film is 2:35 you will see the bars top and bottom. If the film is 1:85, it will fill the screen. There is no cropping going on with your description.

Edit: I note that you have edited your original post. Maybe you figured it out on your own... :)

No, Bobby, I'm still confused. Having run through the previous post "What's with HD channels letterboxing in 4:3" I now know that the phenomenon I described is really "pillarboxing."

Despite all the abstract explanations I still don't understand why a theatrically released wide screen movie is broadcast with black pillarboxes. Thanks.

No, Bobby, I'm still confused. Having run through the previous post "What's with HD channels letterboxing in 4:3" I now know that the phenomenon I described is really "pillarboxing."

Despite all the abstract explanations I still don't understand why a theatrically released wide screen movie is broadcast with black pillarboxes. Thanks.

So, you are saying that the film has black bars, left and right? Or is ist window boxing with black bars all around? If it is left and right then, perhaps, the film is a 1:33 and that is OAR as well. Can you give me a film title that you saw left and right black bars.....

Lots of reasons:

1. Like Bobby said, OAR for many older movies is 4:3

2. A film has not been transferred to HD...an expensive process.

3. The channel has not purchased/leased the HD version.

4. The physical condition of original negatives or release prints prevent transfer or would result in an inferior product. Many SD movie transfers were made decades ago.

5. There is no HD magic wand.

Some have missed the correct objection to the new Indie and Retro. The picture is window boxed, i.e., a letter boxed picture inside a pillar box. Yes, it has the correct aspect ratio but effectively at SD-like resolution.

A good point is they do not claim HD. These films have been been shown in "wide screen" HD, i.e., only top and bottom bars because the film's aspect ratio is greater 16/9.
-Ken