Missing one local - ABC

ddpelp

Sep 20, 2004
This is just a question I have regarding when I might expect my local ABC station to alow Dish to xmit their signal. I was under the assumption that ALL locals were in their local package. What I found out and I can live withit but do not likeit .. is the local ABC TV station is NOT on DIshnet. My installer said it has to do with the local signing a 25 yr contract with DTV to be exclusive with them. Yet.. he says.. there is some type of negoiations with Dish and the local TV station to provide it via another method such as fiber optics..

I wrote Dish their reply said they were talking to the owners of the local ABC TV and "hoped to bring it to Dish soon"

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? DOes it make sense o not that maybe we will get it here sooner then 25 yrs <g>..

It really is my favorite and I sure hope they get it soon but I was curious as to how these thigns progress shoud anyone know that answer...

A bit more information might help such as what city you are in or your affiliate's call sign.

Here it is

Ok the local station is the ABC station KVIA in El Paso, texas

from what I have been told they have a long agrement with Directv but that they could use viberoptics to get the signal to DISH.. which I assume goes around the DTV contract..

Anyway, if there is someone to write to let me know I sure miss ABC here

I have writtenthe station manager but doubt that helps..

thanks for any info you can provide

tnx

Good info I have started to read it. But I guess then that brings up a question.. why would Dish say they are in negoiations "with the local owners".. if this is the law seem sall they need to do if match DTv cntract.. and if Disj thinks the owners are going to take less I would say someone at Dish is big time mistaken..

Iwill cut and paste this info and add to my letter to local as i sure this someting needs o kick start this process..

Dan

Just from very quick research, it appears that the corporate parent of KVIA has, thus far, refused retransmission consent. The station does have must-carry rights but that does not mean it must provide its signal to DISH. For whatever reason, KVIA is refusing to provide its signal.

info

Can you give me the urls for the info you refer to? i woudl like ot read that and then talk with KVIA management Mr. Kevin lovell

It doesnt actually say that. I'm just deducing that based on this logic:

The El Paso Times article and the KVIA website both say they are in negotiations. In a must-carry situation, there really is not much to negotiate since DISH is required to carry the channel. If DISH was refusing to carry it, KVIA only needs to file a complaint with the FCC who would then force DISH to carry it. It would make sense that the only side holding up the process is KVIA itself. KVIA is required to provide a good quality signal to the local POP (point of presence) at its own expense in order to enforce its must-carry rights. It could be a signal quality issue (DISH has used this argument in the past and partially won with the FCC forcing DISH to carry the signal ONLY after that particular station provides a better quality signal; this particular case happened about two years ago and DISH still does not have to carry the station), KVIA may not want to pay the costs to get its signal to the local POP, or some other issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)