Missing recordings on H3

DennisTheSatellite

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
My schedule listing says the programs (set in the timer) have successfully recorded. But the recordings are not there in the "DVR" for viewing ! I'm recording the news on four local stations at 5:30pm. One of the four sometimes is available. All the stations record successfully when scheduled, individually, at different times.

Can someone help, pleeeeeeeeeeeeese :)

Reactions: jimijam28
My schedule listing says the programs (set in the timer) have successfully recorded. But the recordings are not there in the "DVR" for viewing ! I'm recording the news on four local stations at 5:30pm. One of the four sometimes is available. All the stations record successfully when scheduled, individually, at different times.

Can someone help, pleeeeeeeeeeeeese :)
Just a couple of guesses:

Are these recordings going into a folder?

Is there a PTAT overlap that might be causing these programs to be listed in the PTAT section?

Just a couple of guesses:

Are these recordings going into a folder?

Is there a PTAT overlap that might be causing these programs to be listed in the PTAT section?

1) The recordings do not go to a folder.
2) My PTAT is "off"

Thanks for your help !!!

My first Hopper 3 lost recordings and seemed to be filling up the hard drive. I found the lost recordings by doing a search for all of that program and they showed as being recorded. They would play and delete but didn't show up in the DVR list of recordings. Of course this got me wondering how many different recordings were not seen by searching but were filling up my drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i am getting somewhat the same thing- all my recording after 6pm does not show up on the drv- i have too reboot too get them too record, - primetime or just a normal channel like cnn. is this a bug or should i get a new rec?

I don't know if my second H3 did that. I replaced the first one for that problem and a worse problem of locking up when transferring to EHDS.
The second one froze up and had to be rebooted constantly and then when the U331 update downloaded on Oct 21st it quit recognizing all 4 of my EHD. The 3rd H3 now works better so far but still won't see my 4 EHDS. It does still lock up when transferring too many shows at once so I have to limit each transfer to 1 or 2 shows at a time. DISH was supposed to email me a response to the problem. I haven't received any and they haven't come up with a fix nor will they roll back the update.

My first Hopper 3 lost recordings and seemed to be filling up the hard drive. I found the lost recordings by doing a search for all of that program and they showed as being recorded. They would play and delete but didn't show up in the DVR list of recordings. Of course this got me wondering how many different recordings were not seen by searching but were filling up my drive.

I tried the "search", but with no luck. Thanks for your post.

I also lose programs. For example , I have recorded all the American Horror Stories on FX. Yet my DVR is missing episode 4. It has 1-3 and 5-7 but no 4. 4 use to be there but has now disappeared. Another example is Quantico my DVR shows episodes 2-5 as recorded and episode 6 as On Demand and episode 7 to be recorded on 11/13. Episode 6 was recorded in PTAT and saved yet is not there. I have noticed that sometimes saved PTAT programs just disappear. In some instances the lost program has reappeared after watching some of the other episodes.

I didn't have any prime time programs shows up in the pta folder. Searches found nothing. I then noticed the hopper wasn't recording a program I selected. I unplugged and rebooted and is now recording.

My wife is immobile and turns on the tv at 6 am and I retire at 20:30 pm so it is on all day.
I wonder if I need to reboot every day.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I was just going to ask about that, turning off Prime Time.
I've had my hopper 3 for three days now and already noticed issues with PTAT. I now have folders that say 5 on it for 5 recordings supposedly but I know it only has 4 recordings in it. When I go into the folder and back out it says 4.
I turned off Prime Time last night. My main point of it was to skip commercials and well I found out fast that most of the shows didn't offer this. Did I mention I'm a new dish customer also?
Anyway, I like the folders to keep shows organized. Ones I watch, ones others watch, and ones we all watch.
But saving the Prime Time serries doesn't listen to the manual timer and move them to the folder. So between commercial skipping and not goong into folders I decided to turn it off.

I think after maybe 48 hours when the trash can empties the folder count might correct its self. Even through I emptied the trash I think the shows are still on it. Or Prime Time recorded the whole network for that night as one big file. So once I watch the last show it will hopefully reset the count. I say this because I watched one last night and was able to rewind to far and it went into another show that I already deleted and removed from trash.
So it seems that Prime Time is just putting links or short cuts to index markers to one big file.
And I also noticed the space is increasing fast despite hardly any shows in the last three days.
So maybe even if you delete 3 shows that is part of a big file that has 4 shows from Prime Time, then that big file is still on the drive. It seems dish has taken a new approach to recording like this with Prime Time.

Well I read that the show is auto removed from trash in 48 hours. I will watch the rest of the Prime times ones I saved and wait 2 days and see if the drive space frees up. If so then my suspicions may be correct.
I wish I had access to the OS, I could confirm and even fix a lot of this. Oh well, I don't see dish giving me remote command line access.
Scott

Unless you are using PTAT to catch shows you might have missed hearing about, there is little value in having it on more than one day a week and saving for the minimum 2 days. And, it doesn't take long to scan the prime time network guide for upcoming programs. The recording of the 4 networks from one tuner is always on 24/7, anyway. Having PTAT on with minimum days. gives you autoskip, but remember there is a delay of up to 7 days depending on the network. When you see the little red kangaroo on an icon, you have autoskip.

Saved PTAT programs are part of the larger PTAT file until the expiration (default 8 days), only then they go to folders and permanent storage. If you set PTAT to one channel on one day a week, saved for 2 days, the PTAT file wont take up much space and you'll have autoskip.

Your making it much to complicated. PTAT is a nice optional feature if you need it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Pat, thanks for the reply. I was told that the auto skip is after 24 hours, this is what I tried and only new and some coking show had the auto skip. No one mentioned, not even dish when they were using as part of their sales pitch, that some shows could take up to 7 days.
So if I understand you correctly setting it to 2 days and choosing Save Serries on the PTAT recording then it will then move the shows to the folders and delete the PTAT copy after 2 days?
If it's moved out of PTAT and into a folder after two days will the autoskip still work one those 7 day networks? Will the karangaroo still show up on the moved PTAT show that is now in a folder?

What I know is when I selected save, not save serries it moved it to the main directory and not the folder.
Also a lot of threads about shows not being recorded and lost and it seems to be all PTAT shows on the Hopper 3. So I'm looking at patterns and this was the main reason for turning it off. It's like a cell phone these days, I don't care if the cell phone runs 1 million apps and can make me breakfast, if it doesn't work as a phone then it's not what I paid for. If I'm in a two year contract for TV that has a DVR and it doesn't record my shows then I will feel ripped off for two years. Even if I have to constantly get the unit changed, seems like a lot of extra hassle.
I don't car for direct TV since AT&T bought them. Getting errors that are the same as when I had uVerse but I can say the genie never missed a recording and I never had to replace it for the 26 months it's been running constantly. Even on power brownouts, it was running since I had it on a 1500VA UPS battery, I think I had restarted it 5 times in over two year.
The hopper 3 has now reset/restarted 14 times, 3 with the reset button and the others because of the YouTube app so I give up on the YouTube app. At least I got Netflix working, and when it wasn't working it wasn't restarting the system interrupting a recording.

So my previous statement is based off of what I was told by Dish, and comments I've read as a new customer.
Please feel free to enlighten me on things dish or the install tech misinformed on, I may turn PTAT back on. But as of now it didn't do what I was told it does. And with the hopper 2 I can see why PTAT was nice, maybe even needed. But the hopper three has a 16 channel tuner, or was o told wrong on this also.
The H3 has been out for almost a year and I figured most bugs would have been fixed. Maybe I should call dish back and tell them to exchange the H3 for a H2 DVR. Or is the H2 also buggy now that they are pushing out the new operating system to it, or are they just changing the menu interface and the main OS is stable and won't need reboots. But when I read comment about people thinking they need to reboot daily it makes me wonder if I made a bad decision? I also understand people only complain when something is wrong, so let me know if you have the H3 and the last time you needed to restart it or how many times you had to exchange the box?
Scott

PTAT needs to be on at least the minimum to get autoskip, but once you get it it stays with the recording. Just turn it on for one channel once a week and 2 day save for autoskip to be active. PTAT is unrelated to the number of tuners. You have 16. but one of them can record up to 4 of the network channels at one time, 24/7. My Hopper3 has been stable since it came out and I've never missed getting a recording, If, every once in a while using a new app it is unstable, remember it's the 3rd party that writes the app.

Reactions: charlesrshell
PTAT needs to be on at least the minimum to get autoskip, but once you get it it stays with the recording. Just turn it on for one channel once a week and 2 day save for autoskip to be active. PTAT is unrelated to the number of tuners. You have 16. but one of them can record up to 4 of the network channels at one time, 24/7. My Hopper3 has been stable since it came out and I've never missed getting a recording, If, every once in a while using a new app it is unstable, remember it's the 3rd party that writes the app.

Thnaks. So if I enable the minim for PTAT like you describe.
Example I enable fox to record on Monday and save for two days even if their isn't any shows I want to see on Monday fox. Then by doing this it enables the auto skip for all recorded shows, even the ones I have manually set in the timer?

Also currently PTAT is set up to record from 8pm to midnight I think, so if I change the time to record only 1 hour does this still meet the minimum?
Thank you,
Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts