Missing Some Channels - Switch gone permanently bad?

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I noticed today that I am missing some channels and I have other channels. On those missing channels, info screens flash between "Total Signal Loss" and "Partial signal loss".

For the history of my 625 with a dp plus 110/119 LNBF, I've had to reset the switch configuration about every 3 months or so. I thought that might be the case today and did that switch reset, but the problem is not fixed.

I even reset the receiver (unplug and plug back in) but still not fixed.

I've found on the dish pointing screen that I seem to be able to lock odds but not the evens.

I am wondering at this point if the switch (used on my system for about 4 years) might have finally given up the ghost for some of the configurations and if I might need to go get a new LNBF.

Anything else recommended to try? Should I try hooking up my single coax to the "2" input on the LNBF rather than the "1" input? I know those two should be the same, but if there is something wrong with the "1" port, I wonder if the "2" port may work good.

Thanks.

I had this SAME issue yesterday afternoon. I reset the receiver, and everything. Then mysteriously everything came back, like nothing even happened.

I had this SAME issue yesterday afternoon. I reset the receiver, and everything. Then mysteriously everything came back, like nothing even happened.

My issue might have gone back to yesterday - I was asked where the Phineas and Ferb movie is. I said I had set up a DVR timer Friday evening. I looked and there is no recorded event and Disney is one of the affected channels.

I am thinking about Plan B if I'm not as lucky as you to have all channels restored tomorrow as I really want some of the affected channels on Sunday evening. My plan B is to make my system a 119W dish temporarily but I don't know if it can be done this way: My port 3 on the DPP TWIN is hooked up to another dish I have with a Dish Pro LNB on 61.5W. I wonder if I can unconnect my 625 coax from the "1" port on the LNBF, barrell connect it to the coax to the 61.5W dish, reaim that 61.5W dish to 119, and in my 625 do a switch reset and reinitalization and make things into a 119W only dish while I continue figuring out if I need to get a new DPP Twin LNBF or not.

Solar Flares are really hitting right now. I lost my signal for 2 minutes today and I am on eastern arc . It was only minimal drizzeling so I don't think that was the actual cause . Rain fade is usually cats and dogs for me.

Mike D is right. I read some articles that stated that satellite communications would 'likely' be affected due to solar storm. I would wait a few days before you went banging your head against the wall when it could be the sun storm issue. If you still have the same problems later this week, say like Wednesday, then you might have some equipment going bad.

I find flares usually a BS way of explaining things. The flare events I've noticed in the past have knocked out whole satellites temporarily or permanently. considering I get about half the transponders at 119, I don't think it's a solar flare because all the transponders should be gone I would think. If you are going to use a solar flare as a reason, the scenario would have to be that the backup sat at 119 is totally knocked out and the flare took out the even numbered bank of transponders on the primary sat. If that were the case, I'm sure DISH would put the kids channels on odd numbered transponders so the kids could continue enjoying their crack called Disney, Nick, Cartoon network, etc. and some of the adult-enjoyed channels would be on temporary hiatus until all the transponders at 119 got restored.

I'm just not seeing any evidence to make it seem like flares are an issue but of course DISH staff are on weekend days off and not filing stuff to the FCC and/or SEC, plus I have to assume I'm among the few not getting History Channel right now since missing channels is not a trending topic on this forum right now.

Considering the hassle of having to reconfigure the switch about every 3 months for four or so years now since I got DISH, I am more certain it's finally a switch failure or maybe even a software update that bricks some of the function of the switch rather than to solar flares.

You didn't mention what your signal strengths are in general. If they are low as a rule, it could be that your dish needs to be peaked. I haven't seen it so much on the DISH side, but over at DIRECTV, losing polarities is sometimes a peaking issue.

Referencing "the switch" is confusing since you aren't using (and don't need) a dedicated switch. I suggest the term "LNB assembly"

I got things to work just by changing the coax from Port 1 to Port 2 on the LNB assembly. I don't know why that works since IMHO they are supposed to be equivalent but for some reason it works.

It's slow and lethargic to lock (maybe 5-10 seconds) rather than the typical 2 secs or so.

Signal levels are 58-72 so maybe it could use a touchup with my signal meter to get those 58's up into the 60's. 60's and low 70's are generally the best I've ever had under the newer signal meter system so it's not far off from being the best I've ever had it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)