Time to upgrade dish equipment, opinions wanted

scrimp

Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
USA
I recently bought my first HDTV (yes, I know, welcome to 2005...) and am looking to upgrade my dish receiver, and thought I should review my overall equipment to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

Currently I have a 301 attached to a 32" SD tv in a guest bedroom, a PVR 508 attached to a 40" HDTV in the master bedroom, and a PVR 508 attached to a 60" SD tv in the living room. In searching this board and others on the internet, it seems as if all 3 of my receivers are being phased out. Currently, I pay the regular rates for my programming package, plus $7 a piece for the 2nd and 3rd receiver (PVR 508s are considered Solo Recievers).

My initial thought was to upgrade to a ViP612 on the 40" HDTV, and let Dish upgrade the PVR 508 units to DVR 512 and put them on the 60" SD TV and the 32" SD TV. I was told by online chat that I'd have to do a 2 year contract, but there would be no charge to upgrade to the 612, and my total cost would stay the same (612 included in sub, $7 each for the 512). At that time I'd also get the HD free for life, since I already do paperless and autopay, and would have to do a 2 year anyway for the receiver.

A couple of questions--should I be looking at any other receiver combinations? I'm assuming there is no added benefit of putting an HD receiver on a SD TV. Would any of the duo receivers benefit me (save money, better quality, etc)? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
Just be sure to ask if the 512's will include the dvr fee.According to what the dirt team says if a 501/508 is replaced by dish then they are grandfathered in with no dvr fee.If they are upgraded then the 512's are subject to the dvr fee.

If it were me I would go with a 722 and 2 211's or 612's.That way you are HD ready on all your tvs.The 211's can be turned into single dvrs by adding a ehd and paying a one time fee of $40.The 211 has no per month dvr fee and would be counted as $7 per extra receiver.If you went with 612's then they would add $10 per receiver.

First off, the 501/508 fees will change as of Aug 11th to $10 instead of $7. As I understand and from reading other threads: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ork-retailer-chat-recap-july.html#post2582750, they will be "accomodating" existing customers with some fee-credit adjustments. I would definitely wait until after that to see how you are affected before "upgrading" to a 512.

Eventually, they will have to come up with a swap plan for the QPSK conversion for those who may be holding out until then. It should be "SOON" :confused:

I did an online chat with a dish rep yesterday regarding the change for 501/508 fee change, and she kept avoiding the question, stating that currently there is no fee and it is billed as a Solo Receiver. I didn't have much confidence in that answer.

I did an online chat with a dish rep yesterday regarding the change for 501/508 fee change, and she kept avoiding the question, stating that currently there is no fee and it is billed as a Solo Receiver. I didn't have much confidence in that answer.

It's not DISH-official until it happens. I found out long ago that anything discovered on this site is "unofficial" and most chat workers have no clue.

First off, the 501/508 fees will change as of Aug 11th to $10 instead of $7. As I understand and from reading other threads: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ork-retailer-chat-recap-july.html#post2582750, they will be "accomodating" existing customers with some fee-credit adjustments. I would definitely wait until after that to see how you are affected before "upgrading" to a 512.

Eventually, they will have to come up with a swap plan for the QPSK conversion for those who may be holding out until then. It should be "SOON" :confused:

i thought dish locked thier pricing for 2 years

mdram said:
i thought dish locked thier pricing for 2 years

If u r refering to the print and tv adds that have been on im betting the fine print is that there will be no increase in the "programing" price until 2013.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

If u r refering to the print and tv adds that have been on im betting the fine print is that there will be no increase in the "programing" price until 2013.

Ross

sneaky sneaky
for some reason i knew charlie couldnt resist changing your bottom line

mdram said:
sneaky sneaky
for some reason i knew charlie couldnt resist changing your bottom line

Nah not sneaky its marketing. For years consumers have been told, if it looks to good it probably isn't. Also we have been told to ask questions about fees etc....
Every time I look at my verizon bill it makes me sick, all the fees and taxes, same with electricity.
The alternative is a wood stove to cook on andoil lamps...then I wouldn't have to worry about TV so I wouldn't care about price freezes! :)

Ross

I guess I'll hold tight for another week or so to see what they are going to do with the 508/501 and the price increase......

Any opinions on the 612 units? I saw some people mixed reviews early, but it seems most people lately have said they are pretty solid....

I lease two 612's and have since (almost) the beginning. I think they were brand new and not refurbs. My 612's have been about as trouble-free as my 722. Years ago I had big problems with both of them deleting recordings, or crashing, or deleting recordings and then crashing. But I haven't suffered any such incidents recently.

Got a 612 and a 722,the 722 is better overall.its got larger hdd and have had less issues with recordings skipping or audio skipping.The 722 also has pip the 612 doesn't.That said the 612 since the last s/w update has been working great.For an annual savings of $84 its worth it imo.

Your 501/508 receiver(s) are QPSK receivers and dish is converting 110/119/129 arc to 8PSK modulation.

That means your 501/508 will soon be a very fine doorstop.

There are several ways to upgrade.

The 612 is a three tuner HD DVR (2 sat and one OTA tuner) that has had a checkered past but is reportedly becoming more reliable as its software matures.

You could also upgrade to a ViP211 and pay a 1 time $40 fee to convert it to a DVR by adding and external hard drive. That fee covers all 211/211k/411 receivers on your account.

The monthly fees are also different for different type of receivers.

Single (sat) tuner receivers fee is $7 - 301/311/211. Note: 211 is still considered in thei category even if it has been converted to a DVR.

Single tuner DVR receiver fee is $10 - 512/612.

Dual tuner receiver fee is $14.

Dual tuner DVR fee is $17.

922 dual tuner DVR with sling is $20.

If you have a DVR on your account, there is also a $6 fee per account for DVR service.

Consider getting 3 ViP211 receivers all with external hard drives. Fees will be $14, no DVR fee - disadvantage is you do not have the two HD tuners like the 612 has.

If you go with a 612 plus 2 211's the fees will be $14 for receivers plaus $6 for DVR access.

If you go with a 612 plus the two 508's, the 508's will soon have to be replaced with 512's and your fees will be $20 for receivers and $6 for DVR access.

Last edited:
Dish taxes outputs, the 612 has 2 sat tuners but only one output, therefore it is TAXED $7 receiver+ $3 DVR= $10.

Substitute outputs for tuners in my list above.

Your 501/508 receiver(s) are QPSK receivers and dish is converting 110/119/129 arc to 8PSK modulation.

That means your 501/508 will soon be a very fine doorstop.

And that is part of the equation.If Dish replaces your equipment you will be grandfathered in on the no dvr fee.If customer does an upgrade then you get the dvr fee.And it is anyone's guess when they will fully implement 8psk.The word Soon comes to mind and we all know that that word with Dish has a different meaning than in Webster's dictionary.

I have heard that the replacement receivers will not be grandfathered, but that you will get a credit equal to the fee for one, maybe two years.

Dish taxes outputs, the 612 has 2 sat tuners but only one output, therefore it is TAXED $7 receiver+ $3 DVR= $10.

Substitute outputs for tuners in my list above.
Ah there we go, I was reading "tuners" but thinking "outputs"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)