Time to upgrade dish equipment, opinions wanted

scrimp said:
I recently bought my first HDTV (yes, I know, welcome to 2005...) and am looking to upgrade my dish receiver, and thought I should review my overall equipment to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

Currently I have a 301 attached to a 32" SD tv in a guest bedroom, a PVR 508 attached to a 40" HDTV in the master bedroom, and a PVR 508 attached to a 60" SD tv in the living room. In searching this board and others on the internet, it seems as if all 3 of my receivers are being phased out. Currently, I pay the regular rates for my programming package, plus $7 a piece for the 2nd and 3rd receiver (PVR 508s are considered Solo Recievers).

My initial thought was to upgrade to a ViP612 on the 40" HDTV, and let Dish upgrade the PVR 508 units to DVR 512 and put them on the 60" SD TV and the 32" SD TV. I was told by online chat that I'd have to do a 2 year contract, but there would be no charge to upgrade to the 612, and my total cost would stay the same (612 included in sub, $7 each for the 512). At that time I'd also get the HD free for life, since I already do paperless and autopay, and would have to do a 2 year anyway for the receiver.

A couple of questions--should I be looking at any other receiver combinations? I'm assuming there is no added benefit of putting an HD receiver on a SD TV. Would any of the duo receivers benefit me (save money, better quality, etc)? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any input.

When upgrading to hd ,all recivers in the system must be Mpg4 meaning all hd recivers .the dish is replacing all sd 508/510 with 512 sd and all 301 with 311 .so in your case I would suggest :722(for the hd tv plus tv2 to replace 508) and 211 for the third tv !

If your Dish is pointed to WA, you can have a mix of HD and SD receivers, because WA is not MPEG4 for SD signals.

satmasterplus said:
When upgrading to hd ,all recivers in the system must be Mpg4 meaning all hd recivers .the dish is replacing all sd 508/510 with 512 sd and all 301 with 311 .

Not entiely true, for EARC yes, West no. Still installing mpeg2 on same account as HD here on the west coast.

Although since it doesnt cost anymore for the customer, if they are getting say a 622/722 and a 311/381 then i will call CSR and upgrade the 311/381 to a 211 anyways.

Jim5506 said:
If your Dish is pointed to WA, you can have a mix of HD and SD receivers, because WA is not MPEG4 for SD signals.

Agreed !I was assuming he got 110/119 and maybe 61.5 but it's up to where he s located .in my area all hd system must be upgraded to EA.but some places they use WA.but in any case I don't see why he got keep old sd solo receivers when he could get hd solo for the same fee.

Dishman1978 said:
Not entiely true, for EARC yes, West no. Still installing mpeg2 on same account as HD here on the west coast.

Although since it doesnt cost anymore for the customer, if they are getting say a 622/722 and a 311/381 then i will call CSR and upgrade the 311/381 to a 211 anyways.

Agreed

First off, the 501/508 fees will change as of Aug 11th to $10 instead of $7 ... I would definitely wait until after that to see how you are affected before "upgrading" to a 512.

I decided to beat the rush and installed ViP 211k receivers throughout the house replacing a 301 and 508. I switched over to Eastern Arc to address line-of-sight issues with 129, and paid the $40 upgrade fee and have individual DVR capability in 3 rooms without the monthly DVR fees. It seems stupid for Dish to start charging monthly DVR fees on a line of receivers they are not supporting anymore and will likely phase out sooner rather than later.

It seems stupid for Dish to start charging monthly DVR fees on a line of receivers they are not supporting anymore and will likely phase out sooner rather than later.

Yes it does,but they are thinking they will have all equipment switched over to 8psk in 2 years.So basically the 501'508 series will most likely never get a dvr fee.

Thanks for all the replies. Some great advice and opinions in this thread. I'm in Arizona, so I don't think I have to worry about the mp4/mp2 think just yet.

Can someone explain to me how the 2 output receivers work?

For example, if I want to get the 722 to replace receivers. I put it in the master bedroom to give HD to my only HD tv, and then it has an output for the 2nd TV in SD. How do I get the signal to the 2nd TV? I my case, the other 2 SD TVs are downstairs, and I'm not sure running any new cables/wires would even be realistic.

Thanks for all the replies. Some great advice and opinions in this thread. I'm in Arizona, so I don't think I have to worry about the mp4/mp2 think just yet.

For example, if I want to get the 722 to replace receivers. I put it in the master bedroom to give HD to my only HD tv, and then it has an output for the 2nd TV in SD. How do I get the signal to the 2nd TV? I my case, the other 2 SD TVs are downstairs, and I'm not sure running any new cables/wires would even be realistic.

You would have to run coax from the tuner output on the receiver to the second set.

This is how mine is set up:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4426/dishdiagrambz5.png

Keep in mind that the diplexer connected to the dish is on the outside of the house, so that the TV2 cable from that diplexer can be routed directly to the 2nd room, in my case, thru one exterior wall on the other side of the house. The other diplexer and splitter are just a few inches away from each other behind my entertainment center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts