Going to upgrade my audio equipment, opinions welcome

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Put the money into speakers, and then decide if you need to upgrade your receiver. I'm betting you'll decide that your ONKYO is just fine. A new receiver really won't make as much of an impression as new speakers will.

From further research, I think you are 100% correct. In the $700 price range, the rcvr upgrade wont matter very much.

From further research, I think you are 100% correct. In the $700 price range, the rcvr upgrade wont matter very much.

Yeah, I agree with paul. Personally, I would put a lot of it into a good sub, as I think that will give you the best bang for the buck. The Klipsch is OK, but I would be looking at the Velodyne SPL series, the Infinity, or the Sunfire. Clean smooth bass will cover lots of sins.

I own a velodyne also - URL-12, about 15 yrs. old now, also have a JBL 12", both connected with Y-cords. The Velodyne in is in the left corner, the JBL on the right wall, about 8 feet down. Gives me a nice flat (relatively) bass response. Buying Velodyne is a no-brainer, but there are plenty of other options. For me, when the economy changes (read: I find some employment), I will be replacing the JBL with another Velodyne.

I went from a Denon to the ONKYO, because I was updating my features set, and I needed more power. (I'm driving Magnepans). I bought the ONKYO simply because it was on sale that day at CC. Would have been just as happy with another Denon, but it wasn't on sale that day. Except for more power, I couldn't hear the difference between the older Denon and the newer Onkyo, and why would I? They're both great pieces of equipment. It will be a long time till I upgrade my receiver.

I went from a Denon to the ONKYO, because I was updating my features set, and I needed more power. (I'm driving Magnepans). I bought the ONKYO simply because it was on sale that day at CC. Would have been just as happy with another Denon, but it wasn't on sale that day. Except for more power, I couldn't hear the difference between the older Denon and the newer Onkyo, and why would I? They're both great pieces of equipment. It will be a long time till I upgrade my receiver.

I did the same thing, except that my Denon was ancient and didn't have any digital decoding capability.

However, this circa 1992 receiver is as sweet and clean as the day I bought it. Just dated.

I must say that I have been quite happy with the Onkyo as a replacement. Some day, when I have a bigger and dedicated room again, I'll probably look into getting whatever Denon AVR-380X model is then current, but for now the Onkyo is doing the job very well.

I did the same thing, except that my Denon was ancient and didn't have any digital decoding capability.

However, this circa 1992 receiver is as sweet and clean as the day I bought it. Just dated.

I must say that I have been quite happy with the Onkyo as a replacement. Some day, when I have a bigger and dedicated room again, I'll probably look into getting whatever Denon AVR-380X model is then current, but for now the Onkyo is doing the job very well.

My old Denon 685 is sitting in a closet, waiting for me to put it to use somewhere.

Now that I put my older larger Polk center channel back into action, Im much happier. Gonna run with the sub buy next, because its the weakest link in my HT system right now.

Amazing how bad a weak center can make things.

Now that I put my older larger Polk center channel back into action, Im much happier. Gonna run with the sub buy next, because its the weakest link in my HT system right now.

Amazing how bad a weak center can make things.

Definitely the truth. It is always a balancing act between something that sounds good and balanced against something that doesn't take over the space. Me, I go for big and Feng Sei be damned :)

Darn it Elway, all this talk goaded me into finally going for a good sub. I bought a Velodyne SPL-12 off eBay over the weekend at a very good price. There is a big hierarchy of Velodyne subs and the SPL series is second from the top. No way could I justify $2500 for the top of the line DD series.

Hehe, glad I could be of help.

The polk monitor line I have (bought the sub, floors and center at the same time) sounds real good to me, just the sub is weak (gets muddy on bassy tracks like cloverfield and parts of iron man). After I figured a fix for my better center, I was like "wtf was I thinking when I put this in the attic in April"

I got my BD35 for such a good deal, I just dropped the cash. Still leaves me buying a sub the week after Christmas :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts