Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Mission Broadcasting blacks out DISH customers in 21 markets across 18 states

· Mission rejects DISH offer to extend contract, keep local stations up while negotiations continue

· Mission demands outrageous rate increases from DISH viewers while declaring its content is available for ‘free’

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., September 11, 2020 – After rejecting DISH’s calls for a contract extension, Mission Broadcasting today blacked out DISH customers from viewing its local stations in 21 markets across 18 states.

“Mission proudly claims on its website that its stations ‘provide free over-the-air programming,’ but clearly their actions could not run more counter to that claim,” said Brian Neylon, president of DISH TV. “Not only is Mission trying to force DISH customers to pay an outrageous 50% price increase for the same old content, they are also demanding payment from customers who don’t even subscribe to local channels. It makes no sense.”

Earlier this year, Mission blacked out DISH customers as part of a contract dispute. In March, the companies agreed to restore the channels so that viewers could access important local news and information during the pandemic.

“Mission has gone from working with us to support viewers in the communities we both serve to chasing dollar signs however they can,” continued Neylon. “Why? It’s simple. The NFL season has begun and Mission thinks they found the leverage they need. We don’t see it that way. Serving customers is a year-round commitment for us, and we won’t let them be played as pawns by a greedy broadcaster.”

DISH remains open to reaching an agreement with Mission that is fair to customers.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
Mission Broadcasting blacks out DISH customers in 21 markets across 18 states

· Mission rejects DISH offer to extend contract, keep local stations up while negotiations continue

· Mission demands outrageous rate increases from DISH viewers while declaring its content is available for ‘free’

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., September 11, 2020 – After rejecting DISH’s calls for a contract extension, Mission Broadcasting today blacked out DISH customers from viewing its local stations in 21 markets across 18 states.

“Mission proudly claims on its website that its stations ‘provide free over-the-air programming,’ but clearly their actions could not run more counter to that claim,” said Brian Neylon, president of DISH TV. “Not only is Mission trying to force DISH customers to pay an outrageous 50% price increase for the same old content, they are also demanding payment from customers who don’t even subscribe to local channels. It makes no sense.”

Earlier this year, Mission blacked out DISH customers as part of a contract dispute. In March, the companies agreed to restore the channels so that viewers could access important local news and information during the pandemic.

“Mission has gone from working with us to support viewers in the communities we both serve to chasing dollar signs however they can,” continued Neylon. “Why? It’s simple. The NFL season has begun and Mission thinks they found the leverage they need. We don’t see it that way. Serving customers is a year-round commitment for us, and we won’t let them be played as pawns by a greedy broadcaster.”

DISH remains open to reaching an agreement with Mission that is fair to customers.
I just am glad that I decided to get my OTA. Before, I got the OTA, I thought about cancelling the work order for it. I am more than happy about getting it now, since this happened. It is well worth getting the OTA, and would do it again.

Reactions: bspei and TheKrell
It hasn't even been a full year since we got the channels back (at least KOLR in Springfield, MO) from last time. WTF? How long was the last contract? 9 or 10 months? Crazy. And BS

As of 01/28/2021 , maybe sooner, I just noticed it. "We are pleased to announce that DISH and Mission have reached a multi-year agreement and your local channel has been restored. Thank you for your patience and support. " Evansville , Indiana market, CW7.

As of 01/28/2021 , maybe sooner, I just noticed it. "We are pleased to announce that DISH and Mission have reached a multi-year agreement and your local channel has been restored. Thank you for your patience and support. " Evansville , Indiana market, CW7.
And the people are still complaining on Dish's Facebook page. I replied to one woman that said they were on and would be taken away again. I posted that it had resumed from the stations own website that the dispute had ended.:facepalm

Reactions: NYDutch
Funny how the dispute ended as soon as the NFL season was over (except for the Super Bowl, of course).

If they thought DISH would blink they got a hard lesson.
Just like all of the other blackouts, we'll never find out who "blinked".

Odds are both organizations "blinked"... you know, that "negotiation" thing. I'm guessing Mission didn't get all they asked for and Dish gave more than they wanted.

Just like all of the other blackouts, we'll never find out who "blinked".

Odds are both organizations "blinked"... you know, that "negotiation" thing. I'm guessing Mission didn't get all they asked for and Dish gave more than they wanted.
That still doesn't change the fact that neither side "blinked" (restored the channels) for over four months. The point was that Dish didn't cave due to NFL, like Dish claimed that Mission was expecting them to do.

That still doesn't change the fact that neither side "blinked" (restored the channels) for over four months. The point was that Dish didn't cave due to NFL, like Dish claimed that Mission was expecting them to do.
To me, that's a strange stance for Mission to take. Why does Dish care about the NFL? It only helps the broadcasters *IF* subscribers leave Dish in order to get the NFL in other ways. Considering there will be some subscribers who CAN'T leave because they're under contract, and there will be (granted, probably a handful) some subscribers that utilize OTA, the number of subscribers who can/do leave probably isn't a large number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)