Mix Channel suggestions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ds650

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
When I first heard about the mix channels & interactive weather I was pleased. I remember we also had interactive weather channel before too (492)
I played with my moms Dish Network 6 way mix channel during the election. It was pretty cool. The thing is Directs mix channels fall way short of Dishs.

While I like the idea of the mix channels, the audio options blow. On my D10 recievers I have to hit menu & then cycle through audio options 1-9 to hear each screen. The thing is that you have to even get into the menu function & the menu screen is on top of the mix channels! What good does that do?

With my Tivo I have to hit info, then scroll down to audio & then cycle through English1-9 The same thing with an even bigger menu screen covering the mix channels. Basically for me it's either watch them or listen & not be able to see.

When Dish did their mix channels all you did was use your keypad to highlight a box around that channel & the audio automatically came through. It was a MUCH better, simpler, quicker approach.

Also, I think if you highlight a screen & get the audio to change to that station it would be cool to be able to hit 'ok" or "select" & the TV would Jump to that regular channel. Yeah it makes me sound lazy but that would be a nice feature. Almost like when you click OK or select in the guide & it jumps to that channel.

Anyway I called Direct & asked them how easy it would be to allow users to do that. She said it was something that could be done as far as from a setup/software standpoint. I explained how the mix channels are a good idea but far too cumbersome to make useful. It's easier to just punch in ch.202 or ch.360 than it is to open up a menu of audio options. I told her I'd rather have another "real" channel or two added instead of mix channels that are to involved to be useful. She said my suggestions sounded like good ideas & would forward them on to develepers or something along those lines. She added if enough people want something changed we might be able to get it done. So I guess if you want easier to use Mix Channels (I do) that would actually be useful then call & tell them. With the big tragedy in Asia it would be nice to see Newsworld Int. added to the mix & be able to cycle sound to that small screen easily & instantly. Then if you say Fox has the best coverage of it just hit OK or select & be taken there.

I don't want to sound like I don't aprreciate Direct's effort. I just want to be be functional in the easy way most Direct stuff is.

I like the News Mix channel the only problem I can see is that people might end up watching the mix channel and changing the audio around rather than going to CNN/Fox/MSNBC. Since then you won't 'miss' anything.

I can see is that people might end up watching the mix channel and changing the audio around rather than going to CNN/Fox/MSNBC.

I can't see that happening. The audio is too cumbersome to be switching around. Direct needs a little tweaking on this idea yet.

Any R10 owners out there that can comment on whether or not the R!0 does this better?

Darkwing Duck said:
I think it's a snap to change around audio feeds and I have a D10.

To each their own. I guess I just expected more.

I agree with both ds650 and DWDuck. And that's kind of the point for this thread. While IMO it's pretty wasy to navigate, it would be MUCH better to highlight the window you want to hear. Then if you want to view just that station, click OK (or enter, whatever) to flip to that channel.
There may be collusion with the nets to not make it that easy, but if they are basing it on E*'s mosiac and they have that feature, D* should be able to as well. It makes a good product even better. It's kind of weak to come out with a feature thats 'almost' as good as the competition after the fact.
I think that I'll call D* as well and make these suggestions, can't hurt.

indeed! I hope others call too. Those mix stations take up space, they might as well be useful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.