MLB 2008 Season

We've seen this before from the Astros.

Remember, Bill- your Red Sox could have been reversing the curse against Houston instead of St. Louis.

We've seen this before from the Astros.

Remember, Bill- your Red Sox could have been reversing the curse against Houston instead of St. Louis.

They really should have been trying to reverse the curse against the Marlins in '03. But Grady and Pedro had other ideas. :(

BTW, I think the Marlins and Josh Beckett would have done to the Sox, what they did to the Yankees.

I think the Marlins and Josh Beckett would have done to the Sox, what they did to the Yankees.

What great irony, considering the Sox later schooled the Fish and pulled off a trade robbery of epic proportions by getting Beckett AND Lowell (ALCS and World Series MVP last year, respectively) by only having to give up 3 Boston Cream Pies and a bag of Boston Baked Beans :D.

I know you respect the Marlins for being competitive, and I do as well, but I feel that they are a very gullible team that gives up way too much and recieves way too little.

Remember, they couldn't hang on to Delgado, whom I think the Marlins should have kept.

Congrat's KCK and the Angels for clinching the AL West and to K-Rod for equaling the all-time saves lead. Quite a year for Anaheim! :up

Here in good ol' Cleveland, Ohio, we now have Travis Hafner, Victor Martinez and Grady Sizemore in the same lineup for the first time since May! Good to see those guys back.

Tonight, Cliff Lee goes for win # 22 against Gil Meche and the Royals. Meche has always given fits to the Tribe's bats. Either way, it should be a good battle.

Thanks, HD! It is a fun time here right now. I just want KRod to get this record win this weekend while we are all on a high. Then, get down to buisness of preserving the best record and resting players to get them fresh for October. It's gonna be a battle come Oct. 2nd!!!!!

ATL/NYM PPD, DH on Saturday

MIL/PHL PPD, DH on Sunday

TB/NYY PPD, DH on Saturday

DET/CWS PPD, Makeup not set

MIN/BAL PPD, DH on Saturday

update 4

Last edited:
Astros officials: Minute Maid 'playable'
Park in strong shape after Ike; site for Cubs series up in air
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Minute Maid Park made it through Hurricane Ike without any structural damage, and now it's just a matter of waiting to see if the Astros will host games this weekend.
Astros president of business operations Pam Gardner said the club is still examining the ballpark, but by all accounts, it's playable.
"The building did what it was designed to do," Gardner said. "We're still assessing the damage, but there's nothing substantial at this point that we've been able to identify. There's water in the building in a couple of places, but it's minor."
The ballpark was built to be able to sustain hurricane-force winds, and it did just that. The glass-paneling wall that extends from left field to center field was unscathed, and although Astros officials haven't yet looked at the top of the roof, Gardner is confident that part of Minute Maid Park also made it through largely unharmed.
The Astros are continuing dialogue with the Commissioner's Office and the Players Association to determine where the Astros-Cubs series will be played, and when. Miller Park in Milwaukee emerged as a possibility as a host site for the three-game set, which was supposed to begin at Minute Maid Park on Friday.
If the Astros and Cubs traveled to Miller Park, they'd likely play one game Sunday and a doubleheader on Monday, an off-day for both teams.
But the Astros want to play the games in Houston if possible, but while the ballpark is playable, conditions around Houston -- where more than 80 percent of residents have no power -- may make it impossible to play the series at home. Many areas of downtown Houston, however, appear to have power.
Should the series move to Milwaukee, the Astros may have a difficult time getting out of town, considering steady rain continues to blanket the city and may not subside for several hours.
A final decision is expected mid-afternoon on Saturday.
"If we had to play a game, we could play a game," Gardner said. "It is what it is. It's the situation downtown. You have to assess the whole picture. "We've got Sunday and Monday. If we can get in one game or two games or even three over two days, it is possible. We'll keep assessing and make sure we make the right decision."

This kid is scary good. Could David Price be this year's Joba?

09/13/2008 1:00 PM ET
Price thrilled to join Rays
Lefty might start vs. Boston on Wednesday; Gomes recalled
By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- David Price had never been to New York until he arrived Saturday morning to join the Rays, but according to the prized left-hander, he knows the city.
"I've played 'Grand Theft Auto' quite a bit," Price said. "So I'm familiar with the whole city."
Teasing aside, Price said he did not sleep well after receiving the news he would be joining the team Saturday. Just as well since he was not afforded the opportunity to sleep much anyway. He had to catch a 7 a.m. ET flight from Durham, after the Triple-A Bulls lost to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre 20-2 in the Governors Cup on Friday night.
"I didn't get much sleep last night, but I feel good now," said Price, who could not hide his excitement about being in the Major Leagues.
Price, along with outfielder Jonny Gomes, arrived in New York in time to drop off their luggage at the team hotel and get to Yankee Stadium early.
"He'd never been here at all," Gomes said. "We got here early and I took him onto the field. He's taking pictures with his phone. It was awesome to see a guy who has that much money and talent yet still being so excited to be in the big leagues.
"... He was big-eyed. It's cool to ... see his little boy side. The game will definitely humble you in a hurry."
Price, 22, was chosen by the Rays as the first overall pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft out of Vanderbilt University. He impressed the Rays throughout Spring Training, finishing his spring with a 0.00 ERA in two appearances while retiring six of the seven hitters he faced, striking out three and hitting one. In the process, his fastball tipped 99 mph on several occasions.
He has experienced a meteoric rise in his first professional season. He went 4-0 with a 1.82 ERA in six starts at Class A Vero Beach before getting moved to Double-A Montgomery, where he went 7-0 with a 1.89 ERA. At Durham, he went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in four starts before going 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in two playoff starts.
Going to the Minor Leagues "is part of a growing process," Price said. "It's something you've got to do. You've just got to experience it. It was kind of like college for me. ... Something I definitely needed and I'm glad I did it."
Despite all the speculation about when Price might join the Rays, he said he still was surprised when he finally got the news.
"It's never set in concrete until you get here," Price said. "So it was definitely a surprise."
Gomes believes Price can give the Rays a lift.
"I saw him throw some pretty lightning stuff," Gomes said. "Can it be polished? For sure. But any team could use him. With this team in the race, we can use 96-plus from the left side with a well-above-average slider and an awesome head on his shoulders. He loves to compete."
Price doesn't care if he's in the bullpen, as he just seemed happy to be in the big leagues.
"I'll be the batboy," he said. "It doesn't matter to me."
Joe Maddon said he is not concerned with throwing Price into the fire of a pennant race.
"I'm OK with pressure-packed with him," Maddon said.
The Rays manager explained that the bullpen was rested entering the first game of Saturday's doubleheader and that Price's addition gave them some depth for what could be a long day.
"By having him here, it permits us to balance out both games better," Maddon said. "My bigger concern is to get him loose [when he does pitch], get him ready -- make sure he has enough time."
If Matt Garza does not start Wednesday against the Red Sox on short rest, Maddon said Price could be used as a spot starter for that game.
"He is an option," Maddon said. "But we'll decide that post today. By Monday we'll obviously know. We want to see how today plays out." Price smiled when asked if would like to make his first Major League start Wednesday. "That would be nice," he said.

Congratulations to Francisco Rodriguez!!! K-Rod set the single season save record with his mind-boggling 58th save on Saturday night.

KCK,

I think your guy has a legitimate shot at the AL MVP along with Pedroia.

The Cubs-Astros series has been moved to Milwaukee's Miller Park for single games Sunday night and Monday afternoon. If the third game in the series is necessary to determine an NL race, it will be played on Monday, Sept. 29, the day after the regular season is scheduled to end.

Congratulations to Francisco Rodriguez!!! K-Rod set the single season save record with his mind-boggling 58th save on Saturday night.

KCK,

I think your guy has a legitimate shot at the AL MVP along with Pedroia.

This is the best weekend in Anaheim since the Duckxs won the Cup. There is so much buzz and excitement. I'm glad they did it all now and get it over with. Concentration is the factor now as they play the season out.

Bill, I think if KRod breaks the magical number 60, then there will be serious consideration to it...if there isn't already.

Last night, Dustin Pedroia became the first Red Sox player to collect 200 hits in a season since 1998 (Mo Vaughn had 205).