MLB 2008 Season

Wow, now the Rays are going to be without closer Troy Percival for at least 3-4 weeks. He might need surgery for his injured knee which would obviously end his season. The Rays are now without their two best everyday players AND their closer. I'm telling you, if they hold on to win the East with the payroll they have and the injuries they've sustained, they deserve all the kudos in the world!

KCK,
sorry man..........tough loss for your Halos!

On Aug 15th 1995 the 1st place Angels began a stunning slide when they lost star shortstop Gary DiSarscina to a thumb injury and won only 8 of their final 35 games. We call it the Ides of August around here.

On August 15, 2008 the 1st place Angels lose star shortstop Izturis for the season to a thumb injury and begin what should have been an easy roadtrip with a defeat to the lowly Cleveland Indians.

Plus...add this from today's L.A. Times:

The Angels may have more than the American League East-leading Rays to contend with when they begin a series at Tampa Bay on Monday. Tropical Storm Fay was forming over the Dominican Republic on Friday, and forecasters project it to reach the Tampa Bay area -- and possibly develop into a hurricane -- by Tuesday.

You'll all understand if I am a bit cautious about things right now....:eek:

Last edited:
On Aug 15th 1995 the 1st place Angels began a stunning slide when they lost star shortstop Gary DiSarscina to a thumb injury and won only 8 of their final 35 games. We call it the Ides of August around here.

On August 15, 2008 the 1st place Angels lose star shortstop Izturis for the season to a thumb injury and begin what should have been an easy roadtrip with a defeat to the lowly Cleveland Indians.

Plus...add this from today's L.A. Times:

The Angels may have more than the American League East-leading Rays to contend with when they begin a series at Tampa Bay on Monday. Tropical Storm Fay was forming over the Dominican Republic on Friday, and forecasters project it to reach the Tampa Bay area -- and possibly develop into a hurricane -- by Tuesday.

You'll all understand if I am a bit cautious about things right now....:eek:

First of all, another factor is if the Rangers can keep winning, and they recently haven't.

Remember, the Rangers have worse pitching than my high-school team.

Tom Glavine may have thrown his last Major League pitch. Glavine, who is done for the year, may need major elbow ligament replacement surgery. If it's the last we've seen of Glavine, I just want to say what a joy it has been watching him pitch all these years. Tom has been a great pitcher and a class act!

Red Sox righty Schilling leaning 'very heavily' toward retiring

Aug. 18, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports
9700-55342-1877-4

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]BOSTON -- Curt Schilling says he's leaning "very heavily" toward retirement and is waiting until spring training approaches to see if he wants to try to pitch again. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Boston Red Sox right-hander, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery on June 23, said in his most recent blog entry that his shoulder "is getting better fast" and "I've still got a rather lengthy amount of time before I decide anything." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Still, he said on 38pitches.com that "the pendulum is swinging very heavily in the direction of it just being over. I've never sat around and not gotten ready to head to Florida, well not in 23 or so years anyway, so to me that will likely be the last real test for me and whether or not I want to put the time and effort into getting after it one more time." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Dr. Craig Morgan, who performed the surgery, estimated a few hours after it ended that Schilling could be throwing a ball in four months and throwing from a mound within seven months, by late January. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Schilling said that a few weeks ago he thought of trying to get ready to pitch in the World Baseball Classic, a 16-country event scheduled for March with the championship game March 23 at Dodger Stadium. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"But I just don't think that's in the cards," he wrote in his blog Friday. "Next I started thinking about the original plan of pitching the 2nd half of next season. Thing is, that urgency just is not there. I miss some things I didn't think I would, and don't miss many things." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Schilling, a six-time All-Star, is signed only for 2008 at $8 million. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]He finished last season, his 20th, ranked 14th on the career strikeout list with 3,116. His career record is 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA. He is 11-2 in postseason play and was co-MVP of the 2001 World Series with Randy Johnson for Arizona. [/FONT]

Josh Beckett's next start has been pushed back from Saturday to next Tuesday, due to numbness in his right hand. Beckett will undergo tests to rule out anything serious, such as blood clots.

If Beckett ends up on the DL, the Red Sox would have 652 ML career wins (including postseason) on the disabled list (Schilling-226, Wakefield-180, Colon-152, and Beckett-94).

The Angels have surrendered the best record in MLB to the Rays tonight.

GOOD!

The last time the team with the best record won the series was probably 2432 B.C.

Josh Beckett's next start has been pushed back from Saturday to next Tuesday, due to numbness in his right hand. Beckett will undergo tests to rule out anything serious, such as blood clots.

If Beckett ends up on the DL, the Red Sox would have 652 ML career wins (including postseason) on the disabled list (Schilling-226, Wakefield-180, Colon-152, and Beckett-94).

Bill, has Byrd pitched yet for you?

Part two :
The Tiger's pitching STINK :)

Jimbo

Part 3:

Since the Indians waived the white flag. (July 7th when they traded Sabathia), this team has a 21-15 record, which is 6 games over .500. This is particularly mind-boggling because since July 7th, not only did the Indians trade their Ace, but they also traded starting pitcher Paul Byrd and leading RBI man in Casey Blake. Plus, our 2 top hitters are STILL on the DL, in Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez!

This season sure doesn't make any sense at all! :confused:

I do have a ton of respect for the way this team isn't giving up despite suffering a huge letdown from lofty expectations this year. IMO, this is a major testament to manager Eric Wedge. I've criticized his in-game tactics before, but there is just no arguing that he manages his player well within the clubhouse. He's doing everything in his power to motivate these players into continually playing there butts off every single night.

Thank you Tribe for not packing it in and still giving us die-hard fans competitive baseball to follow this summer. As we speak, the Tribe is inching their way into 3 place in the AL Central. We're only 3 games behind Detroit. Cliff Lee goes for win #18 tonight! Let's go Tribe!

Jays Acquire Bautista

By Cork Gaines [August 21 at 2:06pm CST]
The Blue Jays have announced the acquisition of Jose Bautista from the Pirates for a player to be named later.
Bautista is making $1.8MM this season, his first of arbitration eligibility. He signed a 1-year deal last winter, avoiding arbitration. Bautista was hitting .242/.325/.404 in 107 games for the Pirates, very close to his career marks of .240/.328/.397

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)