MLB 2012 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here come the Astros burning with desire,
Here come the Astros breathing orange fire,
Here come the Astros with winning on their mind,
Here comes the Astros number one every time.

Go, go, Astros.

icon33.gif
icon33.gif
icon33.gif
icon33.gif

This was also one of the best pitched perfect games in history as well as one of the best pitched game period. Sure there were a couple of game saving plays; that happens in just about every no hitter. But he just simply dominated the Astros and tied Koufax with 14k's (the most strike outs in a perfect game).

Some would argue that Kerry Wood's 20-K performance in 1998, even though a 1-hitter, may have been better:

Code:
Pitching	IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	Pit	Str
Kerry Wood	9	1	0	0	0	20	0	122	84

There's been what, 22 perfect games, but 20+ strikeout games have only happened 5 times....

As a Giants fan the toughest part was knowing how much time Matt had between innings early in the game while he Giants were scoring so many runs. I thing his biggest credit is the patience he showed. He also made some great picthes on 3-2 counts.

I have always argued that Cain is a better pitcher than Lincecum and if the Giants were going to shell out money to keep only one pitcher it has to be Cain. I've made this argument prior to this year

DodgerKing said:
I have always argued that Cain is a better pitcher than Lincecum and if the Giants were going to shell out money to keep only one pitcher it has to be Cain. I've made this argument prior to this year

I'm not sure about better. I would say that Cain is the one I'd expect to be more consistent over time. Timmy's mechanics are just so unique and central to his success (both in terms of velocity and location from such a small frame and deception in the eyes of a hitter), that's easy to envision things going south and taking a while to correct. Meanwhile, Cain, in both body type and pitching mechanics, fits into the traditional innings eating quality starts guy. But when Timmy is right, his stuff is every bit as electric as Cain's was last night. What's scary is that I think MadBum might be even better than both of them.

As a Dodgers fan I cannot stand the Giants. But I do have to admit that they have a pretty damn good pitching staff. At least 3 guys that can be aces on most teams and their worst pitcher, Zito, is pitching better than most of the others so far this year.

Some would argue that Kerry Wood's 20-K performance in 1998, even though a 1-hitter, may have been better:

Code:
Pitching    IP    H    R    ER    BB    SO    HR    Pit    Str
Kerry Wood    9    1    0    0    0    20    0    122    84

There's been what, 22 perfect games, but 20+ strikeout games have only happened 5 times....
I did say, "one of the best," not, "the best."

I didn't see Cain's performance the other night, so can't say one way or another if it was the greatest. The greatest performance I've ever seen, was Pedro Martinez on a Friday night (circa 1999?) in Yankee Stadium (and that includes both of Roger Clemen's 20 K's games). Pedro was absolutely en fuego that evening!

I watched Clemen's first twenty strike-out, zero walk game on TV. It wasn't one of his best. The strike zone got about a foot wider in the last two innings. Gorman Thomas hit a home run off Clemens, and when he asked Clemens to autograph a commemorative ball for him after the game, Clemens wrote on it: "To Gorman. You got me this time. I'll get you next time." That was maybe the only classy thing Clemens ever did in his life.

After the game, a friend of mine said Clemens's twenty strike-out, zero walk game had replaced Roger Maris's 60 homer, zero intentional walk season as his favorite paired statistic, since it could never happen again. But a few years later, Clemens did it again, and pitched a much better game in doing so.

I say this with all due respect...

The Mets have got to stop dragging what is left of Ralph Kiner out and plopping him in a chair in the broadcast booth to "color" an inning or two. He is almost totally unlistenable. His speech is so slurred he cannot be clearly understood. And he is so sadly living in the past mentioning people who even middle-aged listeners never heard of. I realize he is a hero in the eyes of many and a connection to a period in baseball that is long gone. However, there comes a time when it becomes an embarrassment to one's image. Mr. Kiner is well passed that time.

I'm sitting here watching MIKE TROUT steal base after base on Matt Cain tonight in the 1st inning. Do you realize what we are witnessing people???? This babe in the wood is incredible!

Strasmas report:
Code:
Pitchers   IP  H  R  ER  BB  SO  HR  PC-ST   ERA 
Strasburg  7.0 5  2   2   2  10   1  111-70  2.46
(W, 9-1)

...and so his ERA goes up, from 2.45 to 2.46.

Last edited:
Marlins-Red Sox tied at 5 in the bottom of the 8th. I'm sure all of South Florida is tuning in to this one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts