MLB 2013-2014 off-season moves

For those of you that have access to NESN, Dempster will be interviewed by Tom Caron on the season premiere of Red Sox Live From Fort Myers tonight at 6:00 ET.

Another theory on Dempster: he was battling a neck injury, and he more than likely would have been the odd man out of the six starters. IMO, Lester-Buchholz-Lackey-Peavy-Doubront were all ahead of Dempster heading into Fort Myers. No matter what the reason, he did walk away from a LOT of money.

That said, he's hopefully got PLENTY of money as well.

That said, he's hopefully got PLENTY of money as well.

Asked about leaving so much money on the table, Dempster said, "I've been really fortunate, extremely lucky, extremely humbled by the amount of money I have made that has provided for me and my family for years and years. The money was not that difficult a decision."

During his big league career, Dempster was paid more than $89 million, according to Baseballprospectus.com.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/10465461/ryan-dempster-boston-red-sox-says-not-play-2014

Look at what the Reds are giving Homer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The Red Sox signed Chris Capuano to a 1 year, $2.25M contract.

Looks like Capuano essentially replaces Dempster, for about $11M less. I like this move....

Just bought my first baseball annual (The Sporting News). Just for fun, here's what their predictions look like:

AL Playoffs-

Wildcard: Yankees over Royals

ALDS: Tigers over Yankees and Rangers over Red Sox

ALCS: Rangers over Tigers

NL Playoffs-

Wildcard: Giants over Pirates

NLDS: Dodgers over Nationals and Giants over Cardinals

NLCS: Dodgers over Giants

World Series: Dodgers over Rangers

Individual awards-

AL MVP: Mike Trout (Angels).......NL MVP: Yasiel Puig (Dodgers)

AL Cy Young: Yu Darvish (Rangers).......NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers)

AL ROY: Xander Bogaerts (Red Sox)........NL ROY: Oscar Taveras (Cardinals)

AL Manager: Ned Yost (Royals)........ NL Manager: Bruce Bochy (Giants)

Rule 7.13 added, regarding home plate collisions:

OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULE 7.13

COLLISIONS AT HOME PLATE

1. A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the Umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

Rule 7.13 Comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 7.13. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 7.13. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner's buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

2. Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140224&content_id=68268622&vkey=pr_mlb&c_id=mlb

Breaking: Ryan Dempster to skip this season

This could free up some money to allow the Sox to re-sign Stephen Drew...

Is there any news on that. I ask, because the Mets were rumored to be getting Drew. At least, interested in him.

Definitely got good choices with the Jessica's :)

I know everyone loves Jessica Biel but I can think 10 women hotter than her.

Wow,
Jimenez, 48M
What were they thinking ?

Remember when Jimenez had that really great year for Colorado a few yrs. back? Seems like decades ago. Also, Homer Bailey has 2 no hitters. Lots of pitchers cant even pitch one and he has 2.

Whats more likely this season:

A) Red Sox repeat
B) Yankees make it to the World Series
C) Loria finds a way to alienate the fans yet again

I vote for C as habits are hard to break.

With his bud Bud leaving soon, I wouldnt be surprised if the new commish puts Loria on a very short leech.

Kraven, what can Loria do that he hasnt already done?

Btw, did you guys see some of the spring training games have aired on FS1? MLB Network does the samething but in my area, any Yankee or Met games have been blacked out.