MLB announcers thread

Vinny is also good if you do have a rooting interest. He calls the game exactly like it is. If it is a good play, he calls it as such and sets the tone with the call as well.

He can be joyous or a"Dutch Uncle" on his team. I remember his joyful call of Steve Finley's grand slam to propel the Dodgers into the playoffs. I can also remember some plays of the poor teams circa 2000 when he would call some plays by the Dodgers the worst he'd ever seen and tell the kids at home this how you are NOT to play the game! Fair man? OHYOUBETCHA! :bounce

Ok, there's a new one...someone's opinions aren't fair. Um...they're OPINIONS!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All I said was I don't hear the Cleveland broadcasters because the team stinks. And I said that because I don't hear the Cleveland broadcasters because...wait for it...the team STINKS. I didn't say the announcers were good or bad.

They could put all the best announcers in the world in their booth, but it won't matter. I rarely watch teams at the bottom of the standings. ;)

Sandra

The "not fair" comment was in response to you lumping the Indians announcers into the group you don't listen to since the team is bad. What about last year or the year before? Have you ever heard them? I admit, the team is bad this year, and I can understand why you wouldn't be interested, but not in years past. Hell, in 2007 they were 1 game away from the World Series.

I really like Manning, but I'm just lukewarm on Underwood. I appreciate that he's a big fan, but there's something about him (and I can't put my finger on it) that bugs me from time to time. I still miss Jack Corrigan.....

Is it just me, or do Manning and Underwood ever come across as an old, married couple? They seem to bicker with each other more than any duo I've ever seen.,..

Yep I notice that too. Underwood seems like a little pest. He's a nerd and knows statistics inside and out. Manning is his opposite. An old school, mans-man type of guy who doesn't like to be shown up. He's certainly the alpha male of the two. Personally, I find their quibbles amusing. I think the whole opposites thing brings balance to the booth.

I like the Indians announcers. I watch their games every once in a while on the STO channel since I get it free.

Focusing just on this year:
Vin Scully is and always has been the very best. There is no one better. He is ( or should be) a national treasure.
Steve Stone, color commentator for the White Sox is extremely knowledgeable. Undoubtedly one of the best in the business.
It is a shame he is paired with the horrible, annoying Hawk Harrelson.
Jim Powell, who until this year was alongside Bob Uecker in the Brewers radio booth, is now lead
pbp on the Braves Radio Network. Powell is under rated. Back to Ueck, he is very entertaining.
John Sterliing and Suzyn Waldman on Yankee radio...ugh!
John Miller is good but not great on ESPN and Giants radio.
John Rooney and Mike Shannon on the Cards radio network make a great team.
Pat and Ron and the Cubs Radio network. Homers for sure but it is fun to listen.

Focusing just on this year:
Vin Scully is and always has been the very best. There is no one better. He is ( or should be) a national treasure.
Steve Stone, color commentator for the White Sox is extremely knowledgeable. Undoubtedly one of the best in the business.
It is a shame he is paired with the horrible, annoying Hawk Harrelson.
Jim Powell, who until this year was alongside Bob Uecker in the Brewers radio booth, is now lead
pbp on the Braves Radio Network. Powell is under rated. Back to Ueck, he is very entertaining.
John Sterliing and Suzyn Waldman on Yankee radio...ugh!
John Miller is good but not great on ESPN and Giants radio.
John Rooney and Mike Shannon on the Cards radio network make a great team.
Pat and Ron and the Cubs Radio network. Homers for sure but it is fun to listen.
I actually like John on Giants radio. He is pretty good at calling a game and setting the tone. And he is not a homer. And he is pretty good on ESPN as well.

I don't care for Joe Morgan on ESPN because Joe goes off topic too often and would stay for several innings discussing something that few care about. And he has to compare every player to the Big Red Machine. The dude is in love with Johnny Bench.

Twins TV guys are good
Dick Bremer has been on the Twins games on TV for a good 20+ years and also does basketball games for Big 10 Network. Bert Blyleven can be very serious and funny at the same time. And who doesn't like "Circle Me Bert"? :)

Radio guys are OK.....Having 2 former players on at the same time (Dan Gladden & Jack Morris) can turn parts of the game into "the old days". John Gordon is much better but I cringe every time when he calls Dan Gladden "Dazzle"

The "not fair" comment was in response to you lumping the Indians announcers into the group you don't listen to since the team is bad. What about last year or the year before? Have you ever heard them? I admit, the team is bad this year, and I can understand why you wouldn't be interested, but not in years past. Hell, in 2007 they were 1 game away from the World Series.

Last year I usually watched the late, great, Strike Zone channel on DirecTV. Oh, how I miss that channel. It was awesome!!!

It bounced around from game to game to game all night long, following all the action with no commercials. It was amazing, just like the NFL Red Zone channel, which I also became addicted to.

DirecTV discontinued it this year because MLB network is doing a similar wrap-around show that lasts all night. But it's just not the same. They do have live look-ins, but they also have lots of blah-blah-blah between by their studio guys. If I want to hear talking all night, I'll call my sisters-in-law! I like action...and I also like to watch baseball when there is no action! :D :D :D

I don't remember the Cleveland announcers from two years ago, I'm sorry. I'm sure they're wonderful, as are all things Cleveland. You guys are just special that way. ;) :rolleyes: :)

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)