MLB announcers thread

What's so bad about "homer" announcers?

Aren't announcers supposed to generate excitement?

IMO, neutral announcers are incredibly B-O-R-I-N-G.
Really? I think the opposite. A good announcer can bring excitement to a game no matter which team is doing well. That, IMO, is what separates them from the rest of the pack. People like Vin Scully, John Miller, Jack Buck, ex are all examples of non homer announcers that are or were able to set the proper tone representing the atmosphere of the moment, show excitement when exciting plays happen, and do this while not showing favoritism to one team. There is nothing more boring than listening to a homer announcer for the losing team in one of the most exciting games played. They have a way of making the game seem unimportant.

I realize many people dislike Hawk Harrelson, but there are a lot of us in Chicago who do like him. He's now partnered with Steve Stone and they have a lot of baseball history that they talk about during the games. Not afraid to question bad calls and bad play, by either team. Yes, Hawk is a homer, I don't mind that. I'm a homer too.

The pairing of Hawk and Stoney has not turned out to be what I hoped it would be. They have turned into two old...OLD timers sitting around the outdoor barbebque eatin' watermelon, spittin' out seeds and doing NOTHING but talking about "them good ol' days when I played the game"! Together they annoy the hell outta me. (And I LIKE Stoney!)

I give Steve credit, he does not crawl up Hawk's ass and agree with every word he says as Jackson did. And, thank the dear Lord, Stoney does NOT scream along to "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.......YEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYSSSSSSS!!!!!! :rant:

The pairing of Hawk and Stoney has not turned out to be what I hoped it would be. They have turned into two old...OLD timers sitting around the outdoor barbebque eatin' watermelon, spittin' out seeds and doing NOTHING but talking about "them good ol' days when I played the game"! Together they annoy the hell outta me. (And I LIKE Stoney!)

I give Steve credit, he does not crawl up Hawk's ass and agree with every word he says as Jackson did. And, thank the dear Lord, Stoney does NOT scream along to "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD.......YEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYSSSSSSS!!!!!! :rant:
That is so annoying. What makes it worse is when the other team hits a HR, he simply says, in a quiet tone, "He gone." Talk about taking the drama out of an event.

Then his, good guys_______ and bad guys________ quotes, when saying the score.

That's not fair, Rick Manning has been providing griping color-commentary on the Tribe since 1990. Him and Matty Underwood make a great duo in the broadcast booth! (Just ask KCK or Sky).

Of course, it's an even better treat to listen to WTAM 1100's, Tom Hamilton and Mike Heagan on the Radio. I could listen to Hammy and his enthusiastic home run calls all night long:

I really like Manning, but I'm just lukewarm on Underwood. I appreciate that he's a big fan, but there's something about him (and I can't put my finger on it) that bugs me from time to time. I still miss Jack Corrigan.....

Is it just me, or do Manning and Underwood ever come across as an old, married couple? They seem to bicker with each other more than any duo I've ever seen.,..

BTW, I will have to agree that the two Giants announcers are very good.

One reason- not the main reason, but one of them- is that as the announcers on the EA Sports baseball games, they're good.

IMHO, the Giants and Dodgers are the only two teams in the N.L. West that have good announcers- Scully is a living legend, and the Giants' guys are good.

Who would you say are the 5 worst announcers in baseball?
Currently?

My top three are the announcing teams on the Red Sox (boring as hell even when their team is doing something), the White Sox (not so boring, but huge homers), and the Padre announcers (also homers, but not as bad as the ChiSox and a little more exciting calls when the other team does something worth noting).

Really? I think the opposite. A good announcer can bring excitement to a game no matter which team is doing well. That, IMO, is what separates them from the rest of the pack. People like Vin Scully, John Miller, Jack Buck, ex are all examples of non homer announcers that are or were able to set the proper tone representing the atmosphere of the moment, show excitement when exciting plays happen, and do this while not showing favoritism to one team. There is nothing more boring than listening to a homer announcer for the losing team in one of the most exciting games played. They have a way of making the game seem unimportant.

I'll never forget the first time I heard Hawk of the White Sox refer to the opposing team as "THE BAD GUYS"...it took my breath away. This is sportsmanship????

Daron Sutton had promise as a radio PBP/color with the Angels pre 2002. However, he has since moved on to Milwaukee and now Arizona TV and he is a despicable homer.

And don't even get me going about Michael whatshisname who does PBP for the Yanks on YES! Theirs was the only feed I could get during yesterday's only early game and I was going crazy with his disgusting homer PBP. As the sainted Chick would say "There was no mustard on THAT hot dog!!!!":rant:

BTW, I will have to agree that the two Giants announcers are very good.

One reason- not the main reason, but one of them- is that as the announcers on the EA Sports baseball games, they're good.

IMHO, the Giants and Dodgers are the only two teams in the N.L. West that have good announcers- Scully is a living legend, and the Giants' guys are good.
Being a Giant hater, I can still admit that the Krukow and Kuiper team are great. They are homers but they do not let that get in the way of making exciting calls for the other team. John Miller is just an all around class act and, like Vinny, does not show favoritism when calling a game.

The only thing I don't like about Kruk and Kuip is when they spend an entire inning or more going off on something in the stands or not related to the game.

I really like Manning, but I'm just lukewarm on Underwood. I appreciate that he's a big fan, but there's something about him (and I can't put my finger on it) that bugs me from time to time. I still miss Jack Corrigan.....

Is it just me, or do Manning and Underwood ever come across as an old, married couple? They seem to bicker with each other more than any duo I've ever seen.,..

To me, if I watch a Tribe game, I must hear Arch Manning. That is not writing him a blank check for being great...it's just that he is the voice that fits a Tribe game for me. He can be annoying as hell sometimes.

Underwood is a PBP man...not baseball, not football, not basketball...he is a generic PBP man as is Brian Anderson of the Brewers. Knowledegable and possesing a pleaasant voice, but not "into" the particular sport he's calling. I much preferred the old man John that STO dumped when they took over.

Do you guys remember when Vinny used to call NFL games on NBC as well? He was the one that called the famous Montana to Clark catch. Here is the video of the entire drive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunyz0WWLSI]YouTube - The Catch[/ame]

I think the Mets "Gary Keith and Ron" are excellent, and they're not afraid to kill the Mets or have fun with the broadcast. They don't play their experience over the viewers.

The Red Sox announcers are pretty good as well. The subs for Jerry Remy have been good, and they do a nice job of calling the games without too much "homerisms", although like most announcers, they share the joy when the Red Sox score/win.

The Yankee TV announcers (it's almost a pool of announcers) are decent, and far better than their radio broadcast, which is totally unlistenable. Their ex-player pool give good insight into the game, especially Leiter and Cone.

I always enjoy a chance to hear Vin Scully do a game when it's on KTLA (are they still on KTLA).

The other announcers I do not know well, so I won't comment. I do like Gary Thorne, and if he's doing Baltimore games, then Baltimore is lucky. He's a great announcer of a baseball game.

I think the Mets "Gary Keith and Ron" are excellent, and they're not afraid to kill the Mets or have fun with the broadcast. They don't play their experience over the viewers.

The Red Sox announcers are pretty good as well. The subs for Jerry Remy have been good, and they do a nice job of calling the games without too much "homerisms", although like most announcers, they share the joy when the Red Sox score/win.

The Yankee TV announcers (it's almost a pool of announcers) are decent, and far better than their radio broadcast, which is totally unlistenable. Their ex-player pool give good insight into the game, especially Leiter and Cone.

I always enjoy a chance to hear Vin Scully do a game when it's on KTLA (are they still on KTLA).

The other announcers I do not know well, so I won't comment. I do like Gary Thorne, and if he's doing Baltimore games, then Baltimore is lucky. He's a great announcer of a baseball game.
KCAL 9 now

That is so annoying. What makes it worse is when the other team hits a HR, he simply says, in a quiet tone, "He gone." Talk about taking the drama out of an event.

Then his, good guys_______ and bad guys________ quotes, when saying the score.

Hawk says He gone when an opponent makes an out, not when they hit one out. "He gone" are great words to us Sox fans. People love Haray Caray, he was one of the biggest homers ever. So was Jack Brickhouse, who had the best HR call, "Back, Back, back, Hey Hey!" Guys like Vin Scullyu may be good if you are watching a game when you have no rooting interest, bt If I'm watching my team, I want to hear my announcers be behind my team.

Hawk says He gone when an opponent makes an out, not when they hit one out. "He gone" are great words to us Sox fans. People love Haray Caray, he was one of the biggest homers ever. So was Jack Brickhouse, who had the best HR call, "Back, Back, back, Hey Hey!" Guys like Vin Scullyu may be good if you are watching a game when you have no rooting interest, bt If I'm watching my team, I want to hear my announcers be behind my team.
Vinny is also good if you do have a rooting interest. He calls the game exactly like it is. If it is a good play, he calls it as such and sets the tone with the call as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts