MLB-DirecTV deal whiffs diehard fans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So is Dish and the cable companies willing to add the 24/7 baseball channel from MLB to the basic tier like D* ?

And what about the $30 million difference from what the cable companies were offering than what D* paid?

Does MLB have to take less money and negotiate terms for the MLB 24/7 channel just because less than 300,000 subs would be have to switch to D* ?

Mlb Ei = Nfl St

OK so what is the difference between this and Sunday Ticket?? You still get to watch a few games for free on local channles and ESPN just like Football.

But if you want to watch your favorite team every game of the season you go through DirecTV. I see a pattern here. I came to DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket to see Giants games as I'm sure true baseball fans will come to see thier teams.

Sen. Kerry in a statement said he continues to be concerned.

"I have serious problems with any mega-deal that makes it harder for people across the country to follow their favorite baseball team," he said. "I'm especially troubled by this agreement, which I believe is not in the best long-term interests of the sport. Major League Baseball is making a short-term profit, but they are shutting out fans that can't or won't be able to keep up with their teams if this deal goes through."

If Kerry has a problem with this deal I would like to hear is opion on the Philadelphia market.

No doubt, including the 24x7 MLB channel on a BASIC tier is a big part of this deal. DISH and the cable co's like to put that type of channel on a mid- or premium-tier, limiting its exposure and commercial revenues.

As for Sen Kerry, I have no doubt that he is only involved b/c some small number of significant contributors to the DNC just happen to be transplanted Sox fans, and those people have pushed his Re-Election Campaign button. He's as in-sincere as they get.

No doubt, including the 24x7 MLB channel on a BASIC tier is a big part of this deal. DISH and the cable co's like to put that type of channel on a mid- or premium-tier, limiting its exposure and commercial revenues.

As for Sen Kerry, I have no doubt that he is only involved b/c some small number of significant contributors to the DNC just happen to be transplanted Sox fans, and those people have pushed his Re-Election Campaign button. He's as in-sincere as they get.
Not entirely true E* has the NFL Channel in its lowest tier at top 60/now at/ top 100

Not entirely true E* has the NFL Channel in its lowest tier at top 60/now at/ top 100

That's one example. There are many others where money and tier-placement have kept channels off E* altogether. Anybody in the greater-NYC area knows that E* has never carried YES or SportsNet New York (SNY) due to cost/subscriber and tier-placement. D* does not usually make issues of tier placement or cost.

When cable companies initially did not carry YES there was an outcry by (literally) hundreds of thousands in NY. E* avoided criticism, apparently its market has much less interest in baseball (at least its NY subscriber). That also underscores how E* is less concerned with not carrying MLB EI as much as it is by D* having an exclusive anything.

The whining by E* and cable is not about fans, not about what's good for the vast majority of consumers; it's about competitive advantage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts