MLB-DirecTV deal whiffs diehard fans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i agree, mlb is to blame......but the cubs have to have some way to come with $136 Million to pay soriano dont they? :p

i love it when both espn hd and my non hd ocal RSN carry the same game, guess which feed I am able to view and which one is blacked out.........

Last edited:
No, if you live in the Reds area, you will not get Reds games that are not shown on the Reds network, whether they are playing at home or on the road. EI covers only out-of-market games and all games of your home team are considered in-market.

I don't live in LA. I said I live in the Reds area. I was wanting to know if they don't show the game locally, would I be able to view the game if they played in LA.

The same rules apply. EI carries up to 60 games per week. If the Reds/Dodgers are one of them and the game is not available locally, then you won't be blacked-out.

The key is that we have no way of knowing whether your game is among the 60/week.

This outrage is a load of crap. Look at the numbers. From today's NY Times:
Perhaps DirecTV believes it can expand the Extra Innings universe, which is pretty small right now. Last year, there were fewer than 600,000 subscribers, with cable accounting for about one-third, DirecTV nearly half and Dish the rest.
33% of 600,000 on cable, that's roughly 200,000. 20% on DISH, that's only 30,000 subscribers. 30,000 out of a total 12 million DISH subscribers.... that's less than 1% of DISH subscribers (.25%)

We're going to have congressional hearings, and this idiotic backlash, over 230,000 homes? Exactly how is this a justifiable use of tax dollars?

You are so correct; it is not about anything more than cable and dish NOT wanting DirecTV to have it alone; they do not want their subs to understand in reality they got outbid, they want them to think DirecTV did something illegal, which they have not. Its is nothing more than a smear campaign against DirecTV, which seems to be on par around here IMHO.

Last edited:
Why not? Can't they just add/switch to DirecTV?

Perhaps. But weaht this amounts to is baseball deciding to go exclusive and people who want to see baseball rebelling at the idea and exerting political pressure. Baseball has the right to go exclusive. But opponents have the right to cry foul.

but there is no cry of illegality here---impropriety perhaps but not illegality.

We are on the same page. I take issue with Sen Kerry and not necessarily the comments of Satellite Guys' subscribers. I would think that our elected officials have more important issues to fix. We've got some major gov't money-wasters in Sen Kerry and Sen Mitchesll (steroids investigation).

Senator Mitchell is investigating steriods on behalf of MLB. He is no longer in the Senate and not using federal funds for the investigation.

but there is no cry of illegality here---impropriety perhaps but not illegality.

Not even that, simply displeasure. Basically nothing more than a "boo-frickady-hoo" over spilled milk.

But opponents have the right to cry foul.

I agree, but for how long, how often, how many times do we allow people to make up claims, stretch the truth and ignore the real facts to support them crying wolf? Its all a waste of time and resources.

Well actually the milk hasnnot been spilled yet. I see no reason why people cannot ask qusetions about why the sport that calls itself the "national pastime' and thinks it needs certain legal protections ias doing this.

That is more than "boo-frickady-hoo."

This outrage is a load of crap. Look at the numbers. From today's NY Times:
Perhaps DirecTV believes it can expand the Extra Innings universe, which is pretty small right now. Last year, there were fewer than 600,000 subscribers, with cable accounting for about one-third, DirecTV nearly half and Dish the rest.
33% of 600,000 on cable, that's roughly 200,000. 20% on DISH, that's only 30,000 subscribers. 30,000 out of a total 12 million DISH subscribers.... that's less than 1% of DISH subscribers (.25%)

We're going to have congressional hearings, and this idiotic backlash, over 230,000 homes? Exactly how is this a justifiable use of tax dollars?

Because if Charlie can use your tax dollars to fight and win his battles he will it will sure save him money.E* doesn't want to lose to anyone in fact he probably hoped he could pay them(MLB) what he did last year.
It looks like the FCC is Charlie's new weapon as with their problem with Cinemax
will it work he hopes so.I also look for E* to file another complaint with the FCC when D* gets their HD channels up especially if D* puts up more channels than E*.They'll probably say that they don't have access to those channels because the
price they want is too high.:rolleyes:

Perhaps. But weaht this amounts to is baseball deciding to go exclusive and people who want to see baseball rebelling at the idea and exerting political pressure. Baseball has the right to go exclusive. But opponents have the right to cry foul.

It's the placement of the impropriety that matters. DirecTV has done nothing unethical. MLB is looking for money, D* is looking for subscribers and has money to spend.

OTOH, I find it unethical that Charlie Ergen takes every tough negotiation public and launches predictable smear campaigns. This time he happens to have allies in the cable industry, but it's the same behavior. Ethically, he sould be providing channels to his viewers first and worrying about the profit margin afterward. If the product is solid-enough, the profit margin won't be an issue.

If every one of the 30,000 DISH subscribers who had EI last season defected to D*, only one-quarter of 1%, they would call it normal churn, and attempt to exploit some niche market to pull-in new subscribers. Realistically it would not matter to them one bit.

Ergen is one thing. he may be blaming D* his competitot but fans are upset about the deal. Few if any of them blame D* or calim any illegality. they just do not think that it is appropriate and favor at least threatening MLB with the loss of the antitrudst ecemption and other things.

Are they right? Should they prevail? I don't know but let's characterize what they are doing and why for what it is.

The deal is not illegal
The deal is not the fault of E* or Cable
The deal IS a slap in the face of fans
The deal IS about DirecTV trying to gain subscribers
The deal IS about MLB caring more about money than the fans

If you don't have E* or cable, if you do have D* and/or don't care about baseball, AND you feel the need to belittle people who don't like the deal - while you are entitled to your own opinion, that overly-posted opinion holds no value in this discussion.

I like baseball and enjoyed the short time E* had MLB EI. I am disappointed by MLB because it is obvious that money is the deciding factor and not the fan. My home will go back to the few games we got before MLB EI and spend the extra money on the local minor league team games since MLB does not try to support its fans, just its bottom line.

The deal is not illegal
The deal IS a slap in the face of fans

A slap in the fact to what fans? Last season EI had just 600,000 subscribers, half of which used D*, so only 300,000 homes are affected.

If there are so many disenfranchised fans, getting slapped in the face, why didn't more subscribe?

Sounds like the pitifully-small subscriber base kept MLB from making much money on EI last year. They're trying to do better through this deal, coupled with incentives to push MLB.TV. I fail to see what's terribly wrong with that, or why it's such an outrage/insult.

I am also a baseball fan, a one-time season-ticket holder, recently turned out-of-market fan. If the games I want to watch are not available in my home, I'll find some other way. I'll go to the local sports bar, watch MLB.TV, or listen exclusively on XM.

Why is there no outrage, why isn't it a slap in the face, that Sirius cannot carry out-of-market games?

300,000 homes comprised of how many fans? Do you feel there is only ONE fan per household? Those fans are not "real" fans and should have evangelized for MLB in order to achieve the critical mass of fans that YOU consider to be sufficient to rate anything other than scorn and ridicule?

Amazing how 300,000 homes is nothing to you but to DirecTV it is worth 700 million dollars.

As long as you are not affected who cares right?

I have enjoyed EI on Dish Network since 2004. I will just have to go back and watch the games I get from Dish ESPN, WGN(Sox & Cubs), WPI:mad:Mets),WWOR(Yankees), KTVU(Giants).

I can add EI to my DirecTV package upstairs but I really dont want to and I know they are going to raise the price threw the roof to cover this insanity.

MLB cares more about money than the fans.

300,000 homes comprised of how many fans? Do you feel there is only ONE fan per household? Those fans are not "real" fans and should have evangelized for MLB in order to achieve the critical mass of fans that YOU consider to be sufficient to rate anything other than scorn and ridicule?

You're the only person ridiculing. I've cited the stats and the facts, you just don't like what they mean. I'm not naiive, of course many of the 300,000 homes have more than one fan. Whether they are real fans or posers is irrelevant, and I have not addressed to their legitimacy (you have).

The facts are:
- In terms of popularity, baseball has been declining for decades despite growth in attendance and revenues.
- 300,000 is a very small percentage of baseball fans, and a tiny percentage of the viewing public. That qualifies it as a niche market, not even a population segment.
- All of the 300,000 have had the disposable income to pay for the subscription. That puts them in the elite who can afford (some) luxury items. It's relevant, I'll get to it.
- Exclusive deals are not new; only the complaints are new. Where were these complaints when out-of-market baseball gave XM an exclusive radio outlet?

A niche market with the ability to garner the attention of politicians and the FCC. Their critical mass is their ability to be considered by politicians; that's measured by their wealth and ability to make campaign contributions and/or influence elections.

This is not about evangelizing for the public good. Nobody is being deprived of basic human rights. This is about a small group who wants to retain a luxury.

Given the issues facing our society, I don't believe any luxury issue belongs on the radar for our elected officials.

Amazing how 300,000 homes is nothing to you but to DirecTV it is worth 700 million dollars.

I never said it was nothing to me.

MLB's portion of the subscriptions for 300,000 homes is a relatively small amount of money, and it's divided among 30 owners. To MLB, $700M is a good investment despite losing some exposure.

If some number of viewers add a DirecTV subscription to their home, then it's a good investment for them. Most likely the deal would put a DirecTV logo in every MLB park, increasing their exposure. Sure they think it's a good investment, and they're probably right.

As long as you are not affected who cares right?

I'm an out-of-market baseball fan I used to be a season-ticket holder, not a front-runner, not somebody who rarely watches, and not one who subscribes to a package just to be able to say that I have it. Until last fall I was a local fan, I never had to consider paying for out-of-market baseball, this may be my first year. A hefty hike in the package cost (and if it's exclusive there will be an increase) hits me squarely. Competition helps my case. I am affected. I do care.

And I'd rather that elected officials stick to the job they were elected to do: legislate on matters of substance, those that affect the most people first. And stay out of matters of private industry unless those matters affect the public well-being.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts