MLB Extra Innings Now Available

I'm hanging out at my parents' house who have Dish so I decided to check out the Extra Innings free preview. It's a good thing MLB.tv is included now because I gotta say, this is a very poor offering.

First of all, there aren't dual feeds for any of the games on right now even when Dish is currently airing both feeds in HD on the RSNs. Why can't they just map the RSN feed to the extra innings channels or allow people to watch baseball games on the RSN channels without blackouts? They are already using the bandwidth to provide RSNs with HD so you would think it wouldn't take more to open that up to EI customers. Sorry, but baseball fans want their home team announcers every night, not whichever feed Dish decides to use on a given night.

The other big issue I have is that the Yankees vs Blue Jays game is not offered at all. I realize Dish doesn't carry either of their RSNs but for NBA League pass they still offer every game. If they don't carry either RSN they still at least get a SD feed for League Pass customers. The point of these packages are to get all the out of market games. Its strange to have EI and still not be able to watch every game.

I realize that Dish is new to Extra Innings but this is a very poor offering compared to Directv and MLB.tv. I hope they drastically improve it soon because right now I wouldn't recommend paying extra for Dish EI over a standalone MLB.tv subscription to anyone with decent internet.

Reactions: fhsucade07
First of all, there aren't dual feeds for any of the games on right now even when Dish is currently airing both feeds in HD on the RSNs. Why can't they just map the RSN feed to the extra innings channels or allow people to watch baseball games on the RSN channels without blackouts? They are already using the bandwidth to provide RSNs with HD so you would think it wouldn't take more to open that up to EI customers.

This is my biggest issue with the dish season sports passes. Back when I had NBA League Pass, the same thing would happen. I have multi-sport pack and I can see the game is in HD on the RSN, or was in HD on one of the alt. channels, and it was only SD on League Pass. Same thing is happening with EI.

Another issue I just noticed. The The White Sox vs. Royals game is labeled as the the White Sox feed but it's actually the Royals feed. I guess it doesn't really mater if the feed is labeled correctly when you don't get a choice of feeds anyways.

They also don't seem to be carrying the Orioles - Blue Jays game on Friday.

Maybe things will get better a couple weeks into the season but they aren't making a good impression with the free preview that is supposed to be selling this product to potential customers. It seems like they are doing the bare minimum and these missing games suggest that they aren't even doing that right.

Another issue I just noticed. The The White Sox vs. Royals game is labeled as the the White Sox feed but it's actually the Royals feed. I guess it doesn't really mater if the feed is labeled correctly when you don't get a choice of feeds anyways.

On Direct there is no Chicago feed.....so go figure

I find it interesting how DirecTV's site lists Extra Innings as being "almost 100 games" each week, while Dish's site says "up to 80 games a week." I guess Dish is taking into account that they won't be showing some games.

other teams feed, kinda sucks

Except the last 2 days in a row they didn't have the other team's feed either. This is probably going to happen every time they play the Blue Jays. The Jays are in their division so that will be a lot of games. It would also happen against the Mets, Phillies, and Dodgers but those are all NL teams so that will be more rare.

Mets and Phillies will have quite a few games not available on Dish though and the Dodgers games will also be unavailable any time they play any of the other teams mentioned.

You know if no one is paying the Dodgers' fee and no one is watching because they don't have the channel, how the heck can they pay Dodgers that huge amount of money they promised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've already watched a couple Dodgers games on MLB.tv this season. I get what you mean though. They were counting on Sports Net LA to cover all that salary and basically no one but TWC customers have access to it. Eventually they are going to have to accept less money than they want for carriage or they won't get any at all.

I've already watched a couple Dodgers games on MLB.tv this season. I get what you mean though. They were counting on Sports Net LA to cover all that salary and basically no one but TWC customers have access to it. Eventually they are going to have to accept less money than they want for carriage or they won't get any at all.
Not if Comcast gets approved. Then Comcast will own 49% of the TV viewing audience, and will be able to offer/charge 49% of the pay TV audience.

Not if Comcast gets approved. Then Comcast will own 49% of the TV viewing audience, and will be able to offer/charge 49% of the pay TV audience.

Yeah, but Sports Net LA is a RSN. Cable doesn't typically offer RSNs outside of the market for the local teams the carry. Sports Net LA would have almost 0 value to Comcast customers in Michigan. That is the Tigers home market so all Dodgers games would have to be blacked out. The same would be true for most of the country and they aren't going to be able to sell that channel to people who can't watch the games.

As far as I know cable doesn't really have the equivalent of multi-sports pack for getting out of market RSNs.

I'm not sure about Comcast, or TWC, but pretty sure I have seen advertisements to my parents from Cox for a MSP equivalent style package.

In my experience, they sell sports packages for things like Redzone but not out of market RSNs. Of course, cable always varies by provider and market so it could be different in other areas.

In my experience, they sell sports packages for things like Redzone but not out of market RSNs. Of course, cable always varies by provider and market so it could be different in other areas.

My Dad's cable provider has a College Sports Pack (Big10, Pac-12, SEC) and sells Redzone separate. They don't offer any RSN outside of our local one.

Edit: They have no package restriction. In other words, he can get something similar to Welcome Pack and then pick and choose but it gets pricey... The College Sports (which he keeps year round) is $9.99 month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts