MLB forms economic group as regional TV in peril

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Friend of mine sent me this article. Paywalled, but I will summarize.

The Twins are in their last year of their RSN contract. It is among the worst in the sport. It pays the team $40M/year (Pittsburgh, a much smaller market, gets $60M just for an example). MSP is not a small market, it is DMA 11, although the rest of its territory is pretty much farmland. The ratings for the channel, while it is generally the single most watched thing on all baseball season each night, are still about 100K. So to yield the same revenue they need to charge $66/month for the six months. And this is just for the Twins, not the Wild or the Timberwolves, nor any other content. Yes, they can sell a few ads which might cover the production costs, but that is where the deal is.

So baseball cannot be in competition with itself, selling mlb.tv with 1000s of games, but not the local team. So add it together. mlb.tv, with no so-called blackouts, is about $525/year.

Congratulations.
So basically you are confirming what I have been writing for months now, RSN‘s ratings are so low they do not justify the high per sub fee they have been getting.

Also, in a top TV Market, New York City, the Yankees’ TV average was a tad more then 200,000 viewers per game, rating was a 2.9, on the same time was Jeopardy, it had a 5.1 rating.

Reactions: osu1991
So basically you are confirming what I have been writing for months now, RSN‘s ratings are so low they do not justify the high per sub fee they have been getting.
Well, I don't know what "justify" means. The old RSN model certainly "justified" its cost in the bundle system. The new a la carte system, NOTHING justifies its cost. Not local sports (and all sports is local to somebody, so goodby mlb.tv, which is just repackaged locally produced games), not filmed entertainment, nothing. Everything costs more to produce than there are people that are fans of that one thing.

In five or ten years, TV is going to look a lot more like Pluto than Paramount. People will argue about which wad of reruns is better. And that is a sad thing.

Yankee fans live all over the country.
That is what the MLB app is for then.

Also less expensive then what the YES app will sell for.

YES for 6 months, $180, MLB for $149 with a lot more content.

The fact is blackout rules are outdated. They should not exist anymore.
I agree with you on that.

But I was just responding to the fans live all over the country in your post.

Honestly I could care less about watching every out of market game when all I want is one team.
It is still less expensive if you live out of the area, I subscribe to it for the Tigers since I care nothing for the teams here in Florida.

Another reason why I am happy with YTTV, no RSN fee which I would hate to pay for something I would never watch.

It just will be a weird year in regards to MLB on TV, for example, Diamond/Bally’s has to make a rights payment in the full amount to the Padres by the end of today, if they fail, rights go back to the team.

Honestly I could, couldn’t? care less about watching every out of market game when all I want is one team.
I wonder if the Yankees will look at pricing in relation to MLBTV price? At $30 a month, darn close to the same? But the restrictions must be removed if they want it to seceded for any team.

I wonder if the Yankees will look at pricing in relation to MLBTV price? At $30 a month, darn close to the same? But the restrictions must be removed if they want it to seceded for any team.
I think that’s what NESN charges for Red Sox games as well.

Reactions: navychop
No price for YES dtc but it will be in the $20 to $25 range...MSG is $30

$25 a month or $240 for the year

FsZ13WXXwA8CxcR.jpg

Reactions: AZ.
It just will be a weird year in regards to MLB on TV, for example, Diamond/Bally’s has to make a rights payment in the full amount to the Padres by the end of today, if they fail, rights go back to the team.
Diamond made the payment, the teams on the next to be paid list are the Diamondbacks ( already missed), Reds and the Guardians.

Reactions: Howard Simmons