MLB Network HD--1/1/09

trumanhorn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Missouri
I just read that MLB Network HD will launch on January 1, and that DirecTV and several cable carriers will carry it at launch. Is there a reason why Dish always drags its heals on channels and never carries them at launch? If I run a cell phone company and I only offer hot new phones (i.e. the iPhone) after a year on the market, wouldn't my subscribers leave for another company (or at the bare minimum, wouldn't I have a competitive disadvantage in luring new ones)?

The MLB Network is the main reason why Dish Network no longer carries the MLB Extra Innings Package.

If you want Sports, then DirecTV is the King.

Why exactly?

It would have cost too much money. Charlie does not have the deep pockets of Direct or any of the major cable companies. He wanted it, but simply could not afford it. Like Charlie likes to say, "Too much money." Charlie is running a lean machine, but he knows that at some point he will not be able to compete effectively against the multi-layered media companies that own Direct and cable nor the huge phone companies. He did say a few years ago the following: " . . . [at some point with all the media mergers] Either I write a big check to someone or someone writes me a check, and I'm down the road." Meaning, at some point he is going to have to buy a big media company to keep Dish competitive or he will have to sell Dish at some point. He feels Dish has a few more years of being independent. It will be interesting to see what he does in a few years, or sooner.

I can see a potential problem with this: if MLB starts to do Games of the Week, our RSN's may get blacked out . . . that could be ugly :(

You have to spend money to make money.
Charlie is not going to add subs if he doesn't carry channels people want. For him to have NHL,NFL,NBA,and not have MLB is just plain and simple stupid. This kind of crap is why he's not adding subs. If its not MLB,its VOOM,FOX,YES,GOLTV, Whats next? Good way to keep up the low numbers,I guess thats what he's going for. Just another thing D* , cable and Fios will have that E* doesn't. Whats wrong with this man? Its not like he saving the customers massive amounts of money. E* not even the cheapest. Barely cheaper then D*. Yes charle ,sell the company and let the big boys show you how its done.

"The MLB Network is the main reason why Dish Network no longer carries the MLB Extra Innings Package."

Correct, Scotty. MLB wanted any potential carriers to take a slice of equity in MLB Network at the time people were renewing Extra Innings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts