MLB Trade deadline/rumors thread

Nady vs. Bay

Isn't it funny how things work out. A few weeks ago Jason and Xavier were closest of friends, playing on the same team, both with babies (X's just born) and living life in rural Pittsburgh.

Now, they have not only been traded to big city teams, but to the AL...the AL East...and are now (baseball -wise) newest parts in one of basbell's fiercest rivalries!!!!

I am sure they are both having a good laugh over this today.

I wish them both all the success in the world. They are CLASS guys.

The Ramirez trade shows how bad things had become. The Sox give up Manny, pay his salary for the rest of the season, and give up a relief pitcher and backup outfielder and they get only one player in return. (No offense to Bay). I know they also wanted a relief pitcher in return and had to settle, but wow!!!

Winners:

Dodgers- Didn't give up anything, pay nothing and get Manny for 2 months to win the NL West.

Yankees- Remade the Offense with the additions of Pudge and Nady, added depth to the bullpen and can still deal for Washburn from the Mariners for cash.

Losers:

Rays- Looks like they were screwed over by the Pirates at the last minute in a trade for Bay, lesson learned "Pull the trigger".

Mariners- Team in major need of offensive overhaul, ends up trading just a reliever. M's backed out of trade w/Blue Jays. Overplayed the value of Beltre and Washburn and now will only get salary relief with waiver wire deals.

The Ramirez trade shows how bad things had become. The Sox give up Manny, pay his salary for the rest of the season, and give up a relief pitcher and backup outfielder and they get only one player in return. (No offense to Bay). I know they also wanted a relief pitcher in return and had to settle, but wow!!!

The word floating around early morning was that Manny ahd been shopped to almost ALL clubs with a full salary payment by the Sox...with no takers!!! WOW!!!

Cosmo,
that was my initial reaction when I saw what the Sox (including Manny's salary) had to give up. But then I came to the realization that Manny wasn't going to be here next year anyway, so in essence the Sox gave up Hansen and Moss for Bay. Not too shabby if you look at it that way. :)

Losers:

Rays- Looks like they were screwed over by the Pirates at the last minute in a trade for Bay, lesson learned "Pull the trigger".

I think the Pirates played both the Rays and Red Sox like a fiddle (and I mean that as a compliment).

Last edited:
You know who are the Pirates to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. The Pirates screw the Rays and the Sox over. Who are the Pirates to do that? Their team is abysmal and I would say they are like the A's but at least the A's have won and made the playoffs in this decade!!
Even though I'm a Mets fan-I think the Mets were the losers in this deadline because they didn't make any moves. We needed a corner outfielder, a relief pitcher and maybe a 5th starter. Now I didn't think we were going to get all 3 but we should've gotten something.
I hope Omar is waiting for the waiver wire because if not I don't think the Mets are going to make it.

I just want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. It was a fun couple of weeks with all the player movements and you guys made it that way. We may have had our disagreements along the way, but what the hell, that's what makes this stuff interesting. :D

Thanks again................you guys are the best!!! :) :up

What's the word on Bay (what type of a hitter is, strengths and weaknesses, is he tailored for the Green Monster)?

The 29-year-old Bay is a career .281 hitter who gets on base (.375 career OBP) and hits to all fields. He is on pace for a 33-homer, 97-RBI campaign in 2008. He's a relative newcomer to Fenway, having played there in 2005 when the Pirates visited for a three-game set. He went 3-12 in that series.

Despite the lack of talent around him, Bay had a monster 2005, hitting .306 with 32 homers, 101 RBIs, 44 doubles, 110 runs and 21 steals, leading the Pirates in every major offensive category. Statistically, it was one of the best seasons in Pirates history.

In 2006, he established career-highs in homers (35) and RBIs (109), hitting in a lineup with current Sox first baseman Sean Casey. He hit 10 homers in a 10-games span in May and had 20 bombs at the All-Star break.

Super important stats: Bay is hitting .421 lifetime (8-19) against Andy Pettitte, .429 (3-7) against Mike Mussina and .500 (1-2) against Joba Chamberlain.
He wore No. 38 for the Pirates and No. 2 for the Padres. Curt Schilling said today he would give up his No. 38 -- for a fee, which would go to Schilling's Curt's Pitch charity.

The 29-year-old Bay is a career .281 hitter who gets on base (.375 career OBP) and hits to all fields. He is on pace for a 33-homer, 97-RBI campaign in 2008. He's a relative newcomer to Fenway, having played there in 2005 when the Pirates visited for a three-game set. He went 3-12 in that series.

Despite the lack of talent around him, Bay had a monster 2005, hitting .306 with 32 homers, 101 RBIs, 44 doubles, 110 runs and 21 steals, leading the Pirates in every major offensive category. Statistically, it was one of the best seasons in Pirates history.

In 2006, he established career-highs in homers (35) and RBIs (109), hitting in a lineup with current Sox first baseman Sean Casey. He hit 10 homers in a 10-games span in May and had 20 bombs at the All-Star break.

Super important stats: Bay is hitting .421 lifetime (8-19) against Andy Pettitte, .429 (3-7) against Mike Mussina and .500 (1-2) against Joba Chamberlain.
He wore No. 38 for the Pirates and No. 2 for the Padres. Curt Schilling said today he would give up his No. 38 -- for a fee, which would go to Schilling's Curt's Pitch charity.

Pretty impressive numbers, I like it!! :)

...in essence the Sox gave up Hansen and Moss for Bay. Not too shabby if you look at it that way. :)

I thought the Sox were grooming Hansen to replace Papelbon as closer, who would then become a starter. I still don't see Papelbon as a closer, in spite of his modest success to date in that role.

I don't know anything about Bay, but this should put the red Sox way down on the team payroll ranking, where they were already an uncharacteristic fourth, buoyed by the fact that six of their key players (Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, Buckholtz, Ellsbury and Okajima) were not yet arbitration eligible and are getting just over $3 million a year, combined.

I thought the Sox were grooming Hansen to replace Papelbon as closer, who would then become a starter. I still don't see Papelbon as a closer, in spite of his modest success to date in that role.

You're right on about this. In fact when Papelbon, Lester, and Hansen came up through the Sox system, Hansen was the most highly regarded of the three. Hansen was just lost in the Big Leagues, but he has great stuff, (but absolutely no command..........at least not yet) and hopefully for him he's one of those " needs a change of scenery" guys. Also, I think you're right about Papelbon eventually (maybe 2010?) becoming a starter, as he has #1 or #2 in the rotation stuff. Of course, the problem is, the Sox have to straighten out a very shaky bullpen before that can happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)