MLB Trade deadline/rumors thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
just a little proof on how untenable Manny's relationship with his teammates had become:

The Providence Journal reports that Red Sox GM Theo Epstein met with team veterans on Wednesday, and they told him that Manny Ramirez had to go.
The players were not only tired of Manny's antics and felt that he was a distraction, but they didn't trust that they could count on him during the pennant race. One story in the Boston Herald on Friday quoted a teammate as saying "He just doesn't care." Another Herald story discussed his refusal to visit with young cancer patients, calling him a "bum." It seems most everyone involved with Manny in Boston is happy to see him go.

just a little proof on how untenable Manny's relationship with his teammates had become:

From today's L.A. Times:

He is here to hit, not to love us back. Charles Steinberg, who joined the Dodgers this season as chief marketing officer after six seasons in Boston, said he did not ask Ramirez to participate in Red Sox community programs, heeding the advice of two of his former teammates.

"He's kind and he's friendly, but leave him alone and let him play ball," Steinberg said he was told. "It's what he was put on this Earth to do. Don't interrupt his world."

IMO, the Red Sox found a sucker- the Dodgers were gullible enough to take Manny.

Sabres,

There was IMMENSE pressure on the Dodgers to do something after the Angels landed Tex. Everywhere you looked, read, or listened to sportswise in SoCal once Tex becme an Angel all you heard aor read about was that it was now or never for the Dodgers to lay claim to the SoCal MLB market.

Colletti passed on Manny earlier in the day and when nothing else came up, the Dodgers scurried around @ the last minute when they saw he was still available and pulled a last second trigger.

I look for the Dodgers to parade Manny around LA like the Pope the next two months as Mr. ME sucks it all in like a vacuum. Meanwhile, the Angels will quietly pile onto their 12.5 game lead and make their way to October with nothing but quiet CONFIDENCE.

In response to mccoyrj, It's not sour grapes. It's just that who are the Pirates to do that. They haven't won anything in 16 yrs. When are they going to actually go for it instead of always trading or getting rid of there good players?

I'm with you 100% on that last part. Hopefully the new management this year might finally be heading in that direction with this second trade they've made with Bay. They got the most they could out of him, unlike the earlier Nady trade.

+1. I will miss Bay, but if this makes the Pirates better, I'll be happy.

Everyone was upset when Pena was traded, and that turned out to be a hell of a trade.

I agree Cybok, but my patience is running pretty thin. :)

I'm with you 100% on that last part. Hopefully the new management this year might finally be heading in that direction with this second trade they've made with Bay. They got the most they could out of him, unlike the earlier Nady trade.

IMO if they only traded Nady, then the trade was good, but with adding Marte they should of maybe got another prospect.

agree Cybok, but my patience is running pretty thin. :)

I agree, but this is new management, they shouldn't be held accountable for the screw ups of the past management. In a couple of years if they haven't shown improvement, then I might actually have to stop watching the Pirates.:(

I agree, but this is new management, they shouldn't be held accountable for the screw ups of the past management. In a couple of years if they haven't shown improvement, then I might actually have to stop watching the Pirates.:(

If you're a fan of Pittsburgh sports, you'll still have Crosby, Malkin, and Big Ben.

IMO, the Pirates are the worst franchise in baseball, maybe in all of sports.

They are Islander-esque in their futility,

Over the past 16 years, yes they are, but before that they were a very good and proud franchise.

IMO Bonds is to the Pirates as Ruth was to the Red Sox.

Over the past 16 years, yes they are, but before that they were a very good and proud franchise.

Sounds like the Islanders; good many years ago, bad as hell today.

BTW, I'd like to get Sandra's take on who else she considers as bad a franchise as the Isles.

Personally, I think the Memphis Grizzlies are the worst of the worst- even more than the Isles.

I have to disagree with that assessment Sabres of the Pirates being the worst franchise in all of sports due to the fact that the organization for the first time since '92 seems to really be heading upwards rather than driving itself into the ground. The wins haven't come yet and probably won't for the next few years. But for Pirates fans, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I like what Coonelly and Huntington have done so far. Of course it's far too early to tell whether they'll be able to turn the franchise around, but Neal Huntington already seems to be a far more competent GM than Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield, not that that's difficult.

Rebuliding is a necessary step, but maybe this time, the Pirates will be built right.

the organization for the first time since '92 seems to really be heading upwards rather than driving itself into the ground.

As a baseball follower,

I fell for the idea that they would finally turn the corner in 1999, when they only finished five games below .500 with a 78-83 record.

I thought they would turn around in the new century.

Unfortunately... that hasn't happen.

I'm not ripping them apart like Sandra does to the Isles, but this is the classic case of 'one step forward, two steps backward.'

Bay's gone- now the only decent position players they have are Sanchez and Wilson.

I have to disagree with that assessment Sabres of the Pirates being the worst franchise in all of sports due to the fact that the organization for the first time since '92 seems to really be heading upwards rather than driving itself into the ground. The wins haven't come yet and probably won't for the next few years. But for Pirates fans, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I like what Coonelly and Huntington have done so far. Of course it's far too early to tell whether they'll be able to turn the franchise around, but Neal Huntington already seems to be a far more competent GM than Cam Bonifay and Dave Littlefield, not that that's difficult.

Rebuliding is a necessary step, but maybe this time, the Pirates will be built right.

Agreed.

My sentiments exactly. The last 16 years can't diminish the fact that the Buccos have world titles under their belts.

And on a brighter side of history, Clemente is to the Pirates as Ruth is to the Yankees. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts