MLB Trade deadline/rumors thread

Even though I'm a Mets fan-I think the Mets were the losers in this deadline because they didn't make any moves. We needed a corner outfielder, a relief pitcher and maybe a 5th starter.

Actually the Tigers were the BIG LOSERS, they gave up the only Catcher they had and got a washed up pitcher .... they need REAL pitching, not another 40 yr old pitcher.

btw, they STILL need a Shortstop and a LF 'er as well as a catcher and Starting and relief pitching.

jimbo

Wes Gardner and Calvin Schiraldi were two highly touted righthanded pitchers that the Red Sox picked up from the Mets for Bobby Ojeda prior to the 1986 season. Schiraldi had modest success during the '86 regular season, but we all remember what he did in the postseason.:eek: Gardner always seemed to be hurt and never panned out to what the experts expected from him. He had modest success as a starter in 1988 (helping the Sox to a division title), but was out of baseball soon after that.

Actually the Tigers were the BIG LOSERS, they gave up the only Catcher they had and got a washed up pitcher .... they need REAL pitching, not another 40 yr old pitcher.

btw, they STILL need a Shortstop and a LF 'er as well as a catcher and Starting and relief pitching.

jimbo

Inge can catch for them.

Wes Gardner and Calvin Schiraldi were two highly touted righthanded pitchers that the Red Sox picked up from the Mets for Bobby Ojeda prior to the 1986 season. Schiraldi had modest success during the '86 regular season, but we all remember what he did in the postseason.:eek: Gardner always seemed to be hurt and never panned out to what the experts expected from him. He had modest success as a starter in 1988 (helping the Sox to a division title), but was out of baseball soon after that.

Calvin Schiraldi......LMAO!! Damn did I hit that guy hard in college!!! I had 12 AB against that guy and lit him up like a Christmas tree.....8 for 12, 5 doubles, triple, 8 RBIs and 7 runs scored. The 4 outs I had, I hit into 2 double plays, but I hit the ball hard and flied deep to right and center....:D

Too bad I did not face him all the time......I would have gotten somewhere.....LOL!

Calvin Schiraldi......LMAO!! Damn did I hit that guy hard in college!!! I had 12 AB against that guy and lit him up like a Christmas tree.....8 for 12, 5 doubles, triple, 8 RBIs and 7 runs scored. The 4 outs I had, I hit into 2 double plays, but I hit the ball hard and flied deep to right and center....:D

Too bad I did not face him all the time......I would have gotten somewhere.....LOL!

Wow, that's awesome. With those numbers I wish you were on the Red Sox in '86...............and NOT Schiraldi.

You know who are the Pirates to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. The Pirates screw the Rays and the Sox over. Who are the Pirates to do that? Their team is abysmal and I would say they are like the A's but at least the A's have won and made the playoffs in this decade!! ....

Sour grapes or something? :( The Pirates are just like any other MLB team, trying to get the best trade deal they can.

The 29-year-old Bay is a career .281 hitter who gets on base (.375 career OBP) and hits to all fields. He is on pace for a 33-homer, 97-RBI campaign in 2008. He's a relative newcomer to Fenway, having played there in 2005 when the Pirates visited for a three-game set. He went 3-12 in that series.

Despite the lack of talent around him, Bay had a monster 2005, hitting .306 with 32 homers, 101 RBIs, 44 doubles, 110 runs and 21 steals, leading the Pirates in every major offensive category. Statistically, it was one of the best seasons in Pirates history.

In 2006, he established career-highs in homers (35) and RBIs (109), hitting in a lineup with current Sox first baseman Sean Casey. He hit 10 homers in a 10-games span in May and had 20 bombs at the All-Star break.

Super important stats: Bay is hitting .421 lifetime (8-19) against Andy Pettitte, .429 (3-7) against Mike Mussina and .500 (1-2) against Joba Chamberlain.
He wore No. 38 for the Pirates and No. 2 for the Padres. Curt Schilling said today he would give up his No. 38 -- for a fee, which would go to Schilling's Curt's Pitch charity.

BillD, as a lifelong Buc's fan (why I continue to be is a mystery even to me) I've seen Bay play many times. Your Sox have gotten themselves one hell of a player. I'll miss seeing him at PNC. :up

BillD, as a lifelong Buc's fan (why I continue to be is a mystery even to me) I've seen Bay play many times. Your Sox have gotten themselves one hell of a player. I'll miss seeing him at PNC. :up

Thank you, I appreciate that. All reports on this kid have been glowing!! :up

Remember this was the trade deadline for players switching teams without having to go through waivers first. If teams are willing to grab some guys who are being paid more than they are worth, there will be plenty of players over the next few weeks...

Red Sox are weaker statistically after the trade, but Manny had become a cancer and had to go. Jason bay is a good player, no Manny..... but good. It will be interesting to see how he goes from a market with limited media criticism to one of the largest, most intense media markets in the country.

The pirates trade away another all star, .... I don't know if the players they got will pan out someday. The Marlins seem to be able to keep reshuffling the deck with no ill effect, while the Pirates seem incapable of getting out of the cellar.

Meanwhile, my Mets had nothing on the shelf to offer, so we are stuck with what we have. Will it be enough to get past the Phillies or the Marlins? I don't know....

On an unrelated note, I went to watch the Lakewood BlueClaws, the Phillies A level minor league team last night as it was an event sponsored by our bank. They brought in the Phillie Phanatic for the game which was fun. They also had Adam Eaton on the mound, working through a rehab stint. He got shelled for 4 runs in 4 innings. These were a bunch of rookies he couldn't get out.... Although the team they were playing IS in first placein the division, the West Virginia Power. It seemed like every guy they threw up there was batting .300 or better.....

But back to the thread.... the other trade that doesn't make sense is Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.... Where are they gonna play him?

Has anyone recognized the strange coincidence of the Manny to LA Trade yet....

Clearly the powers that be want another Boston vs. Los Angeles Championship! Can you imagine Manny coming back to play against Boston on the highest stage possible that is the World Series? The cross country rivalry was already reinvigorated with the recent NBA Finals.

Clearly the fix is in! ;):D

Wow, that's awesome. With those numbers I wish you were on the Red Sox in '86...............and NOT Schiraldi.

The weirdest part was, Schiraldi threw hard and had great stuff.....better stuff than Clemens in my opinion.....Roger was just a power pitcher. But for some reason, I saw the ball better against him.

In response to mccoyrj, It's not sour grapes. It's just that who are the Pirates to do that. They haven't won anything in 16 yrs. When are they going to actually go for it instead of always trading or getting rid of there good players?

Earlier today, ESPN gave the batting averages with men on base for Bay and Ramirez. I think they said that Bay is hitting .216 and Ramirez .309 with men on base this year. If those numbers are anywhere near correct, every fan in Boston will know it by tonight, and the boo-birds will begin to sing following every Jason Bay out with men on base.

I remember when Rice had 22 GIDPs by mid-July, and each time he'd get up facing a potential double play situation, the Fenway fans would chant, "6-4-3! 6-4-3!"

In response to mccoyrj, It's not sour grapes. It's just that who are the Pirates to do that. They haven't won anything in 16 yrs. When are they going to actually go for it instead of always trading or getting rid of there good players?

A team selling their product to the highest bidder, and anything to make their team better.

+1. I will miss Bay, but if this makes the Pirates better, I'll be happy.

Everyone was upset when Pena was traded, and that turned out to be a hell of a trade.

Last edited:

Clearly the powers that be want another Boston vs. Los Angeles Championship! Can you imagine Manny coming back to play against Boston on the highest stage possible that is the World Series? The cross country rivalry was already reinvigorated with the recent NBA Finals.

Let's wait and see how they do against Brandon Webb and the Arizona's flamethrower pitching staff.

Just thought of another sub-plot if this were to happen....

Joe Torre vs. Terry Francona.

The networks would salivate over the possibilities of this matchup.

If indeed Boston plays LA in the WS, I don't want to say, "I told you so". ;)

Earlier today, ESPN gave the batting averages with men on base for Bay and Ramirez. I think they said that Bay is hitting .216 and Ramirez .309 with men on base this year. If those numbers are anywhere near correct, every fan in Boston will know it by tonight, and the boo-birds will begin to sing following every Jason Bay out with men on base.

I remember when Rice had 22 GIDPs by mid-July, and each time he'd get up facing a potential double play situation, the Fenway fans would chant, "6-4-3! 6-4-3!"

LMAO!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)