MLBN blackout - I don't get it?

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I'm in Vegas and I watched Red Sox at Orioles last night on MLBN. Today, same teams, and it's blacked out. Why? I read a few threads about black outs and I thought if teams were local it would be blacked out. Obviously Boston and Baltimore arn't local here. I don't get it.

I'm having the same problem in Iowa. Last night it was Phillies-Braves blacked out and tonight Red Sox-Orioles. Obviously neither of those teams are in my local market. I am wondering if this is a Dish problem.

Again, the issue is not about MLB blackout rules in your case, it is about MLBNet regional coverage. You are in the area that is scheduled to get the alternate game on the alternate channel (Phils and Braves)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

panz32 said:
I'm having the same problem in Iowa. Last night it was Phillies-Braves blacked out and tonight Red Sox-Orioles. Obviously neither of those teams are in my local market. I am wondering if this is a Dish problem.

Last night the was the Sox and O's on the main channel as well. Both nights the same game was scheduled for your area on the main channel and so the same game was blacked out

VegasVoomer said:
I'm in Vegas and I watched Red Sox at Orioles last night on MLBN. Today, same teams, and it's blacked out. Why? I read a few threads about black outs and I thought if teams were local it would be blacked out. Obviously Boston and Baltimore arn't local here. I don't get it.

Last night your area was scheduled for the main game on the main channel and tonight your area is scheduled to view the alternate game on the alternate channel. Since Dish does not carry the alternate channel, you cannot see the alternate game on Dish.

Its the same bull you go through on Sundays if an MLB game is scheduled to start after 2PM.

And I have MLB Extra Innings on Directv, and you would think there would be no blackouts, but there is!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not the "same b***s***" as any other blackout scenario. It has nothing to do with any MLB blackout policy (other than the in-market/out-of-market deal, which is not relevant to our discussion here). As DodgerKing explains, MLBN can show one and only one game in its time slot. Rather than show one game nationally, it, not DISH or DirecTV, decides to regionalize. On cable, a viewer does not notice, because a switch at the headend is thrown such that whatever channel MLBN comes in on a particular cable system has the correct game, but DBS cannot do that, and thus has to use an alternate channel. Same deal as the ESPN/ABC "reverse mirror" college football. You are not really being blacked out of any games.

Dish needs to fix this. I dunno why MLB network didn't put the alternate channel in their contract to Dish. Either add the alternate feed or switch to the game depending on your area. If they can black out games based on location, they should be able to switch to the game feed based on location.

Dish needs to fix this. I dunno why MLB network didn't put the alternate channel in their contract to Dish. Either add the alternate feed or switch to the game depending on your area. If they can black out games based on location, they should be able to switch to the game feed based on location.
Only with cable since the feed is specific to each location. Those with satellite get the same channel with the same feed from the same satellite. There is no way they can create a separate feed to each local area from the same channel. Blacking out games in an area is as simple as sending a signal to each receiver to block out that channel on the receivers for those areas, similar to turning off and on a channel based on your package

For NY sports fans it just adds to the frustration when a NY team is on MLB since it is blacked out in the NY market and DISH wont provide the NY RESNs.

I understand the MLBN blackout issue but a the OP said, how is it one night a game is showed and the next night (same teams playing), its blackouted. Say consistent for god's sake.

Bluemonick said:
I understand the MLBN blackout issue but a the OP said, how is it one night a game is showed and the next night (same teams playing), its blackouted. Say consistent for god's sake.

Again, it isn't blacked out. They were shown a different game on a different night and Dish does not carry the channel that shows the different game.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)