Mobile Ku?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
While browsing around today, I came across MotoSAT--a company that makes mobile satellite internet and TV products. They sell self-deploying, motorized dishes for RVs and vans--but I could only find dishes for DirecTV, Dish Network, and Internet.

Just curious--does anyone know where I might be able to find an FTA dish of this sort? Do they even make 'em? Any tips would be appreciated!

The problem of course is mainly the LNB, with (Circular polarized) DBS systems the LNB can go on sideways,upside down...

But with KU Band systems the LNBF has to skew to line up exactly with the linear satellite in the sky, and as you move from satellite to satellite that changes.
Then we have the actual size of the reflector, DBS satellites are very strong so with a mobile FTA KU system a much bigger dish is desired. There are of course ways round that by using really HOT LNB's and specially designed DVB circuitry. Hopefully during the winter we will come closer to the realization of a mobile FTA KU system.

The race is defiantly on for just such a product as we all see how FTA satellite in this country is exploding not to mention the business opportunities in the European market place where most of their DBS satellites are linear.

Won't be long until we will be able to drive down the road and watch/listen to The Tube!

I am just back from a road trip where we had "In Motion" satellite TV and it really is something to see!

I have tried this with an 18" dish in a car behind glass and it worked. The quality was like 60? I want to try it again with a 20" and a make shift single LNB holder. I want to get the music on the way to work :D It should redeinf sat radio.

hotwire132002 said:
While browsing around today, I came across MotoSAT--a company that makes mobile satellite internet and TV products. They sell self-deploying, motorized dishes for RVs and vans--but I could only find dishes for DirecTV, Dish Network, and Internet.

Just curious--does anyone know where I might be able to find an FTA dish of this sort? Do they even make 'em? Any tips would be appreciated!
:D :D

I have the MotoSat system installed on my RV. It uses Direcway pointed at SatMex 117° (linear). It also has LNBFs for 110° and 119° for Dish Network. It is possible to use it for Ku linear sat searching through the software but of course you then lose your Internet connection. It would be possible to use one of the system for FTA purposes but not very practical at $5000 installed! It would be nice to have though!

Chuck

But not in motion, does your Motosat have the blue neon light on the LNB's? Those look COOL!

Blue neon lights

No, and I haven't seen one of them either. I have the 76cm dish which is basically a moveable Direcway system capable of a 360° turn. It takes about ten minutes to get it up with an Internet connection at a Walmart or truckstop on the road.

Chuck

PSB said:
But not in motion...

Don't know if you misunderstood me or if I missed something--but I'm not looking for a Ku dish that will work while the vehicle is in motion (I'm almost always driving alone... no passengers, and it's generally not a good idea to watch TV and drive at the same time :D )

Anyway--I'm looking for something that I can use while the car is parked. Just to make sure you're clear. :)

I knew what you were meaning just thought it would be a goog excuse to bring up a mobile "In motion" KU system......

My first two posts were nothing to do with "In Motion"

PSB said:
I knew what you were meaning just thought it would be a goog excuse to bring up a mobile "In motion" KU system......

My first two posts were nothing to do with "In Motion"

My bad! Wasn't sure whether you were thinking "in motion" the whole time or not.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Portable 35 cm camping dish/receiver

Best option first daveswebshop com Pansat 3 Ft Ku Satellite TVRO Dish $99. Prime focus Ku, ring mounted dish. Provide your own prime lnb.

Looks like this might be a new small prime focus mini bud material. I bookmarked this one immediately

I asked earlier if anyone had dealt with Canary-Satshop com.

I was searching ebay for a Nexus-s and this Canary Island store had the Nexus-s and other strange things that I had no interest in (not a card copier type, so please don't type all caps at me or vacation me).

They list both a portable 12v/24v/240v powered dish 55 pounds (money not weight) as well as a kit 95 pounds, that has the dish and receiver, suction cup mounts, lnb yada-yada-yada with the same power scheme. Comes in its own slimline easily totable case.

Might also want to check an rv lot, tom raper rv in indiana had some directv/dish network setups.

canary-satshop com/product_info.php/cPath/4/products_id/44

Attachments

• camp kit.jpg
    camp kit.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 3ftdish_1.jpg
    3ftdish_1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 142
They list both a portable 12v/24v/240v powered dish 55 pounds (money not weight) as well as a kit 95 pounds said:
Canary Islands access the skies of Europe/Africa which have much powerful LINEAR satellites than we have here in North America. The sats are also spaced at a minimum of 3° apart vs 2° here so they are able to use smaller LINEAR Ku dishes that won't work here.

The RV directv/dish network setups are only for CIRCULAR Ku sats that are spaced at least 9° apart.

In North America CIRCULAR translates to Directv/Dish Network/Bell Expressvu.

Chuck

hotwire132002 said:
Anyway--I'm looking for something that I can use while the car is parked. Just to make sure you're clear. :)

I have an old Primestar dish I carry with me if I am going to be at a place for a few days. I use a set of blocks cut from a 2x4 to aim and brace, set it right on the ground. Once I set up and I find one satellite the others are easy. The thing is to be certain you have your computer to find look angles or before you leave home note the look angles for the satellites you want to view.

The nice thing about the Primestar is one bolt holds the arm on so it is easy to "break down" and put in the trunk.

There are some in motion Ku band stuff out there but it costs huge dollars. Things like The Bloommobile. Also, I think KVH uses some Ku band in-motion antennas for their phone and data packages. Since I am a noobie I can't post any links :(

Neal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)