Monday Should Be Interesting

I will be surprised if E* doesn't report losing at least 50K customers during 4th quarter. In fact, I am predicting a loss of 70K...but they will still have turned a profit. Perhaps it's time for Charlie to honor his company's affiliation agreement with VOOM and get them back on the air. E* is suffering the curse of VOOM.

The ghost of Voom

I will be surprised if E* doesn't report losing at least 50K customers during 4th quarter. In fact, I am predicting a loss of 70K...but they will still have turned a profit. Perhaps it's time for Charlie to honor his company's affiliation agreement with VOOM and get them back on the air. E* is suffering the curse of VOOM.

Kind of like the curse of the Bambino. Until Boston killed it..

I think Voom will haunt Charlie for some time.
I hope he gets nightmares from Voom!

Opps..I mentioned ''things we are not suppose to speak of'' Voom.

Sorry, I did it again...

I think Directv grows because they have so much sports and some HD channels Dish still hasn't got like SpeedHD.

With so much scripted reality reruns now or some wild police shows of many kinds I honestly think people are turning to sports because its not scripted and can be interesting to someone who is sick of this reality crap like me. Dish doesn't have many sports options, but cable and directv does.

When Viacom owns several channels on the Dish Network guide and all you see on every single Viacom channel from TVLand to MTV, CMT, etc. its all scripted so-called rich kid fake reality, and I am sick of it. I once was excited about getting the Viacom channels in HD but now I am not.

The Dish hardware is what keeps me as a customer until something better comes along.

The Dish hardware is also what keeps me around. If it were not for that, I would have already been gone long ago.

Ya know it would sure be nice to find a Satellite company that can provide everything you need and at a reasonable price.
I have had all 3 DirecTV,Dish, and Charter Communications and they each have a little something that the others don't have. If some1 could take a little from each and make a new Satellite Company. I am willing to bet the house on this 1, they will surpass all comp. out there and become the true #1 Satellite and TV entertainment provider.

Neither Satellite or Cable company has done this. Why not? Sure would be nice if there was 1 out there.

The Dish hardware is also what keeps me around. If it were not for that, I would have already been gone long ago.
It's a shame what has been happening at Dish Network lately...they make the best HD DVR and, until 18-months ago, they offered the most and best HD and provided an excellent value for a number of their programming package...but they turned to crap: DirecTV offers better value, they are getting killed by the Cable Triple Play, too many nickle & dime fees, the musical channels games is way past old, too many business dealings that wind up in litigation, they have not treated long-time customers very well (customers are churning in record numbers), programming packages are stupidly confusing, the Dish Network marketing department appears to be run by Moe, Larry and Curly, and they can't even schlock their OUTSTANDING DVRs to the Cable types because nobody wants to do business with EchoStar/Charlie Ergen since there is a 90% change the business arrangement will be headed to the courtroom one day. Mr. Ergen has been one sharp individual for bringing EchoStar/Dish Network to where they were in October 2007, but his tactics from that point forward have been questionable, at best. In a nutshell, I feel that Mr. Ergen is Dish Network's bigget problem! He needs to quickly update his tactics or step aside and let someone else run the show.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Ya know it would sure be nice to find a Satellite company that can provide everything you need and at a reasonable price.
I have had all 3 DirecTV,Dish, and Charter Communications and they each have a little something that the others don't have. If some1 could take a little from each and make a new Satellite Company. I am willing to bet the house on this 1, they will surpass all comp. out there and become the true #1 Satellite and TV entertainment provider.

Neither Satellite or Cable company has done this. Why not? Sure would be nice if there was 1 out there.
The same goes for the HD DVR. Although the VIP series DVR is top-notch, the Tivo HD has some really nice features, but there a couple FiOS DVR features I would toss-in and I the free TV Guide On Screen is a winning feature on my Sony HD DVR.

I honestly wish that Dish would 'tidy up' alot of things like the programming package names. Its very confusing, why can't it just be simple like Basic, Basic Plus, Everything instead of Turbo this and that and Classic Gold Lite or whatever they are now.

And the on screen guide...its nice, but they need to clean up the channel lineup. There is duplicates all over, channels scattered around and not categorized. Myself, I don't like the mapdowns because if you search for something using search, it displays the show you are searching for 3 times, one for the SD channel, one for the mapdown, and one for the 94xx HD channel. The lineup needs some serious help.

The nickels and dimes, the HD receivers are nice but not worth $7/mo. per receiver whether owned or leased.

Most cable companies have a set up now that if you get a package that includes the SD version of the channel, then you get the HD version free (if available) at no extra cost other than hd receiver fees. The Platinum HD pack is a $10 joke in my opinion for the lack of content those few channels offer worth watching.

But, like I said, the hardware keeps me as a customer--for now.

I guess im just dreaming

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's a shame what has been happening at Dish Network lately...they make the best HD DVR and, until 18-months ago, they offered the most and best HD and provided an excellent value for a number of their programming package...but they turned to crap: DirecTV offers better value, they are getting killed by the Cable Triple Play, too many nickle & dime fees, the musical channels games is way past old, too many business dealings that wind up in litigation, they have not treated long-time customers very well (customers are churning in record numbers), programming packages are stupidly confusing, the Dish Network marketing department appears to be run by Moe, Larry and Curly, and they can't even schlock their OUTSTANDING DVRs to the Cable types because nobody wants to do business with EchoStar/Charlie Ergen since there is a 90% change the business arrangement will be headed to the courtroom one day. Mr. Ergen has been one sharp individual for bringing EchoStar/Dish Network to where they were in October 2007, but his tactics from that point forward have been questionable, at best. In a nutshell, I feel that Mr. Ergen is Dish Network's bigget problem! He needs to quickly update his tactics or step aside and let someone else run the show.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Very well said. I could not have said it better myself.

If have to say that the only reason why i still have dish is the equipment as well.
I have Direc, att and starchoice.

Dish has the superior equipment by far. Their programming has been going down.
ill tell you, when they had Voom plus the new additions before the takedown I was in heaven.

Nothing could compare.

Since then they(dish) have actually gotten worse (programming wise then the competition.

I really like direcs programming but the equipment is below average. Maybe because I have the VIP722.

Uverse, still an unproven entity. Tons of potential. However, Im not sold on them yet. Plus they dont have the tennis channel. That kills me.

As the above stated these providers have a little of everything. However nothing is heads above the rest..

Dish use to be...

I wish a company would take the mantle on really being the best.
Best equipment
Best programming
Best prices
Great customer service..without pulling channels at will.

I guess im just dreaming...

Perfect Scott well put, took some balls to publish that. Thank you.

Maybe some of the stock market guys who get to ask questions at the earnings call will push Charlie on this and Charlie will wakeup from his Billionaire dream land and start acting on fixing the issues.

Dish should be worried, some day cable and directv will catch up hardware wise, then there will be no reason to go with dish, or maybe that has already happened at some level and thats why customers are dropping.

Dish better pray DirecTV never catches up to the Dish Hardware. D already caught up and passsed up E* in the HD field. HD, Voom and hardware is what got me to pick Dish over Direct, two out of the three no longer apply.

Now the number was 102k who dropped DishN, how many people went to lower priced packages? I did. Now with the price increase I will be considering DirectTV over DishN. If I decide to move back up in my package coverage. Is there that much difference in hardware quality? One thing DirectTV has that I would really like DishN to add is the Mtn. sports network. I would be a motive to move DirectTV.