Monthly bill took big jump

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I guess I’ve had some promotions expire. My December bill was $115.41, January bill was $126.32, and I just noticed my February bill jumped to $191.27. That’s a huge jump.

It looks like my January bill jumped $10 because my $5 eautopay savings and my $5 hopper savings expired. But I’m not sure what happened to February bill. Has anyones else’s bill jumped that much this month? Are they offering anymore promotions I can take advantage of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’ve had some promotions expire. My December bill was $115.41, January bill was $126.32, and I just noticed my February bill jumped to $191.27. That’s a huge jump.

It looks like my January bill jumped $10 because my $5 eautopay savings and my $5 hopper savings expired. But I’m not sure what happened to February bill. Has anyones else’s bill jumped that much this month? Are they offering anymore promotions I can take advantage of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called the retention line a few weeks ago and they quickly signed me back up for another two year agreement. Unfortunately the $5 epay discount is gone (built into the new pricing allegedly), and no more $2 off for each extra receiver. Package prices also increased.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I called and at first they were trying to lower my bill by dropping to a lower package. Then started talking about the flex package. But once they realized I didn’t want to make any program changes then they offered the $25 off per month for 2 more years. My bill will still be almost $20 more than I was paying. But it’s still better than nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pay $56.00 for my programming from Sling and use my Air tv anywhere ota device to record up to 4 ota events at a time. The most I pay is $60.62 with tax included. Can watch Sling on any tv in the house , my phone, I pad. It simply makes no sense to pay to DISH the $15.00 dvr fee plus $14.00 for additional joeys plus the programming costs. $29.00 in fees that I don't have to pay with Sling tv. Y'all really need to take a look at them for a cheaper alternative and I see no real picture quality difference between the Sling programming and the hd over DISH. You can't even tell it is from the internet. There is also You tube tv and it includes your locals. There are cheaper alternatives than DISH now.

Dish Flex Pack plus one add-on using two Wally's each with an EHD = $64.73 including tax. Dish doesn't have to be expensive. As for Internet based TV I get Prime Video free with my Prime membership. I pay extra for three add-ons, Discovery+, Britbox, and Acorn for $20 a month. I get 78 channels via an antenna (no cost). Grand total = $84.73.

Until the Internet goes down. :(
That is what OTA is for.

I have said this before, I would rather have Dish because if I have internet issues(I have had Charter go out on me twice since I moved, first time modem died, second, a storm, out for 30 mins.) or weather issues ( sooner or later, I will get hit by a hurricane).

But I will not do is pay all those box fees ( have 11 rooms with TVs) for areas of my house that get very little or no use, but I need those rooms to have access for when we have guests.

Charter and Comcast already do this, no box fees and no limit on how many as long as you use the app on a Roku, there is no reason why Dish cannot do it, at the least give access to Sling TV if you already have Dish Network.

That is what OTA is for.
I use Airtv (along with my Dish w/OTA adapter) and it doesn't work when the internet goes down. So to watch OTA using only Airtv I would have to switch around some cables during an internet outage.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I pay $56.00 for my programming from Sling and use my Air tv anywhere ota device to record up to 4 ota events at a time. The most I pay is $60.62 with tax included. Can watch Sling on any tv in the house , my phone, I pad. It simply makes no sense to pay to DISH the $15.00 dvr fee plus $14.00 for additional joeys plus the programming costs. $29.00 in fees that I don't have to pay with Sling tv. Y'all really need to take a look at them for a cheaper alternative and I see no real picture quality difference between the Sling programming and the hd over DISH. You can't even tell it is from the internet. There is also You tube tv and it includes your locals. There are cheaper alternatives than DISH now.
Do you like this setup better than your Airtv?

I use Airtv (along with my Dish w/OTA adapter) and it doesn't work when the internet goes down. So to watch OTA using only Airtv I would have to switch around some cables during an internet outage.
Or get a good antenna spitter, 1 in, 2 out, then one cable to the Air TV and then one to the TV, problem solved.

By the way, I have one of the new Tablos with HDMI out, I have it hooked to the TV and to the router, so if the internet is out, I would still get it on the main TV.

Until the Internet goes down. :(
Thats why I have my ota antenna hooked up to my tv . If internet goes down I can still watch my locals. But we haven't had internet going out in some years. I have had Spectrum internet since 2008 and we only lost it when the neighbors in front of us cut through the coax digging around in the utilities area . Happened twice. I have trenched the line to the cable box both times to bury the cable. I also talked to my neighbors and asked them to not do it again.;)

During the hurricane Rita in 2005 and hurricane Ike in 2008 my sister lost internet and cable both, for up to a month till they got it back up and running. I just reinstalled my sat dish and I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. Funny thing, the internet still worked during the Tropical storm Harvey flood- till the power went out, and in 2017 and again during Tropical storm Imelda flood in 2019. I still have my hopper hooked up as back up for ota too and the hopper still works and records the ota shows I want . My external hard drive still works too and we cut off our account back in December. So I have back ups so I won't go without entertainment ,unless the power goes out.

Do you like this setup better than your Airtv?
I like Sling programming price and selection ,but in comparing the 4tuner Air Tv Anywhere to the 4 tuner Tablo for ota, I think Tablo does the job better for recording ota. The Air tv anywhere tower works well for news shows on ota stations , but it isn't as smooth an interface for prime time shows. If you are watching the recordings of like soaps where they will get to an end of a 5 minute segment of the show and go to commercial break , the recording will freeze for like 2 seconds then restart motion. I can't figure out why this happens but it happens on the prime time shows sometimes too before the commercial breaks as well.

The Tablo also has surround sound and pass through so it is more like what I am used to with DISH. Air tv and Sling tv is strictly digital pcm sound. I pay the $20.00 fee per year to get commercial skip on all my recordings on the Tablo too. Sometimes it will skip ahead to next scene like DISH does with auto skip and you might miss the end of the scene, but you can rewind back to see what you missed. It is rare though.

You can also go to "TV shows" category and by Channel you can look at the tiles for the next 2 weeks for each ota channel. You can then set up your recordings straight from those tiles without having to use the guide and look manually for the shows day by day. It is nice feature and it also has a "Premiering Soon" tab you can look under to see if any new shows coming up so you can set up timers if you want. Also "Prime time" tab to see shows that are strictly on at night during prime time hours.

I like Sling programming price and selection ,but in comparing the 4tuner Air Tv Anywhere to the 4 tuner Tablo for ota, I think Tablo does the job better for recording ota. The Air tv anywhere tower works well for news shows on ota stations , but it isn't as smooth an interface for prime time shows. If you are watching the recordings of like soaps where they will get to an end of a 5 minute segment of the show and go to commercial break , the recording will freeze for like 2 seconds then restart motion. I can't figure out why this happens but it happens on the prime time shows sometimes too before the commercial breaks as well.

The Tablo also has surround sound and pass through so it is more like what I am used to with DISH. Air tv and Sling tv is strictly digital pcm sound. I pay the $20.00 fee per year to get commercial skip on all my recordings on the Tablo too. Sometimes it will skip ahead to next scene like DISH does with auto skip and you might miss the end of the scene, but you can rewind back to see what you missed. It is rare though.

You can also go to "TV shows" category and by Channel you can look at the tiles for the next 2 weeks for each ota channel. You can then set up your recordings straight from those tiles without having to use the guide and look manually for the shows day by day. It is nice feature and it also has a "Premiering Soon" tab you can look under to see if any new shows coming up so you can set up timers if you want. Also "Prime time" tab to see shows that are strictly on at night during prime time hours.
Thanks MikeD-C05 for sharing. Good info.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That is what OTA is for.

I have said this before, I would rather have Dish because if I have internet issues(I have had Charter go out on me twice since I moved, first time modem died, second, a storm, out for 30 mins.) or weather issues ( sooner or later, I will get hit by a hurricane).

But I will not do is pay all those box fees ( have 11 rooms with TVs) for areas of my house that get very little or no use, but I need those rooms to have access for when we have guests.

Charter and Comcast already do this, no box fees and no limit on how many as long as you use the app on a Roku, there is no reason why Dish cannot do it, at the least give access to Sling TV if you already have Dish Network.
You can use the DishAnywhere app on FireTV (probably other devices, but that is what I use), but I believe it is limited to 1or 2 concurrent streams. I use it daily to watch TV in a room where I don't have a Joey/Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)