More 4K Sets Shipped In Q2 Than All Of 2013

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Roughly 2.1 million 4K sets were shipped in the second quarter of 2014, surpassing the 1.6 million that were shipped in all of 2013, NPD DisplaySearch found in its latest 4K study.

The research firm noted that many brands introduced their 2014 models in the second quarter, “with a clear focus on 4K as the ‘must-have’ consumer feature for high-end television viewing.”

China’s share of 4K TV shipments dropped to 60% in the second quarter, off from 80% for all of 2013. NPD DisplaySearch noted that China lacks sources of 4K content, so TV-makers were largely marketing higher pixel counts to consumers.

multichannel.com

I still wonder how relevant shipments are to sales. Microsoft proved with the Surface that shipments only put an upper limit on sales.

I doubt these sets are as "compatible" with the UHD "4K" standard as sets shipped in a few months will be.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I doubt these sets are as "compatible" with the UHD "4K" standard as sets shipped in a few months will be.

Oh they won't be.
Probably be a few years till things get totally ironed out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think the big price decreases are driving the adoption. No one was going to pay $10k for a set. Now that they are down in the 2-3k range more are buying. When they are are same price as 1080p sets, 1080p will probably be discontinued.

I think the big price decreases are driving the adoption. No one was going to pay $10k for a set. Now that they are down in the 2-3k range more are buying. When they are are same price as 1080p sets, 1080p will probably be discontinued.
1080p won't likely be discontinued until all the panels have been consumed. The US government had to effectively outlaw CRTs to make them go away.

And how did they do that?
They made delivering CRT TVs impractical. They made regulations that said that after a certain date, features that CRT TVs didn't readily support were mandated as a baseline. CRT economics was predicated on the idea that the supporting electronics wasn't all that sophisticated. If you add all the digital stuff to a CRT, it gets relatively expensive.

They still sell CRT TVs on other continents but I imagine they'll fade away as tube production costs rise absent the old economies of scale.

What a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. Care to supply some actual proof?

The steps to produce an image on a CRT are rather convoluted, compared to thin flats.

What a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. Care to supply some actual proof?
Proof is pretty hard to find ten years later but the essential idea was that all TVs must include a lot of electronics that CRTs didn't previously need (although many better TVs had vestiges of them). As navychop points out, the technologies didn't lend themselves all that well. NTSC was essentially a direct drive signal for an oscilloscope and now TVs would need to be able to scale and handle different timings to render a rough approximation of the original stream.

Congress passed the Digital Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005 (an element of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005), the requirement was that all TVs above a certain size must feature ATSC tuners, V-Chip, Closed Captioning and the ability to deal with HD broadcasts. Each year the diagonal size went down until in 2007, all TVs had to have them.

Here's the FCC's run-down on the various mandates:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/dtv-enforcement

Legislation like this didn't have much impact on high-end equipment because many of the elements were already there. Where it strikes is in the low-end where the economies of scale are created. Without those economies, the technology loses out to whatever has become more economical to produce.

Reactions: navychop
The government did not outlaw CRTs, just that LCDs eventually came down to the same price as CRTs. LCDs in screen sizes that CRTs can be had under $100. Who would buy a CRT when you could have a sleek LCD for the same price?

The government did not outlaw CRTs- yes, this is true. But they died well before LCDs got cheaper. Sexy sells. CRTs required lead, were quite heavy and bulky and had geometric distortion. They consumed quite a bit of power and had large transformers. Circuitry is more complicated and at least some of it runs at high power. Certainly higher voltages are present in a CRT based device. BUT- if you like CRT TVs, I have a 36" and 27" you can have for free- just cart them off!

I'm jealous. Run across somebody like that, tell them I'm out of bridges but I'll give them a REAL GOOD deal on the CRT TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)