More Baseball Stupidity!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bwaldron

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Brandon, FL
I'm a Red Sox fan in Florida, get the sports pack and EI on DirecTV and have for years.

The past few days, the Sox pre- and post-game shows on NESN have been blacked out (the games themselves have been shown, as NESN was the feed used for EI).

Discussion on this subject at the Boston Globe Sox forum:

http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=15104&webtag=bc-redsox

indicates that this is a result of a (new?) mandate from MLB; these shows include "too many" highlights of previous games to be shown out-of-market and must be blacked out just as the game replays are.

The arrogance and just plain stupidity of MLB continually amazes me anew.

I hate these boundries in baseball. they make no sense for viewers. I'm a Red Soxs fan but I don't want the damn Braves shoved down my throat because I am in there territory. I wish they would make it where all games are aired where ever without black outs.

Figure this one out..

I'm in the Mariners territory. I get their games in SD on the RSN.

I've had EI since Dish brought it on.

When Fox Northwest used to do Mariners games in HD Dish would run them. I'd be blacked out from seeing them.

That one I never understood. The rest of the country could watch the Mariners home broadcast in HD and I couldn't and I'm in their territory.

That's effed up blackout rules.

pdxsam said:
Figure this one out..

I'm in the Mariners territory. I get their games in SD on the RSN.

I've had EI since Dish brought it on.

When Fox Northwest used to do Mariners games in HD Dish would run them. I'd be blacked out from seeing them.

That one I never understood. The rest of the country could watch the Mariners home broadcast in HD and I couldn't and I'm in their territory.

That's effed up blackout rules.

I can beat that. Live in KC Royals territory in Arkansas and get blacked out on the Royals home telecast AND on Extra Innings.

To recap, Arkansas is in KC Television territory, yet ALL Royals games on satellite are blacked out.

Live in any other state, get the Royals, live inside Royals territory in Arkansas, get double blacked out.......

That's capital effed up blackout rules.............

Or people in Iowa where SIX teams claim them yet they get blacked out more often than not on both EI & local area. Since most cable companies don't have 3 RSN's on their system (FSN Midwest, FSN North & CSN Chicago) whatver they dont have they get blacked out on EI.

Got a buddy thats a Twins fan yet he can't see them because MN claims Iowa but his RSN is CSN Chicago

Iceberg said:
Fritter
Do you get the Royals OTA games on a local station?

The Royals have over 100 of their games on their own network, RSTN, which is carried by Fox Midwest. When RSTN and Fox Midwest made the deal to broadcast the games, the deal did not include the Royals territories of Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Iowa. The Royals have not lifted their claim on those states, so we continue to get blacked out on the out of market package.....

To answer your question, the Royals do have a 13 game, primarily Sunday afternoon game OTA package. Some of Arkansas can receive those 13 games.

So, yes, of the well over 100 games shown to the Royals territory states, the Northwest corner of Arkansas can see 13 of the games.

The Cardinals, Astros and Rangers also claim Arkansas. We get Astro and Ranger games with our base RSN, Fox Southwest. If I purchase the Sports Pack, I get the Fox MW Cardinal games. The Royals games are the only one to go dark.......

I just saw this on the mlb ei preview and thought that this was quite simply stupid and just gives me more reason to never buy the package. I was going to do it for the second half of the season since there is going to be very good races in the AL but this turn me off completly.

I quit watching baseball at the beginning of the year when I found out MLB gave the Phillies all of PA as a territory. Why bother.

I'm losing hair because of this nonsense, too. I'm in the MIDDLE of Pennsylvania(Lewisburg), a good 3+ hours from NYC, yet E* is telling me if I go back to them my RSNs would be MSG/FSNY. Now, I live w/ my GF, and she's a die-hard Yankee fan (I'm a Sox fan, we get along famously), and she'd stab me in the neck if she couldn't watch the Evil Empire.

I was w/ E* for YEARS in Boston & NYC, and I didn't mind not getting Yes in NYC since I watched NESN on EI. When I moved out here though I made the mistake of switching to D* for NFL ST. I despise D* and would go back to E* in a heartbeat if I knew it wouldn't mean a messy breakup. I called E* customer (dis)service, and neither the CSR nor CSR mgr could give me an answer as to why my RSN isn't FSN Pitt or MASN (E*, like D*, doesn't carry CSN out of Philly). They also refused to give me any contact info for anyone at Echostar in CO who might actually be able to answer me (real helpful...).

Is there a way to dupe them based on zipcode if I told them I lived in State College (about 40 miles west of me) so I'm outside of NYC's RSN coverage and can therefore get the Yankees on EI???

Someone please help -- I've been coming here for years for knowledge, and now, like Obi Wan, you're my only hope....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)