More channels or better quality signal

More channels or better quality signal??

• More channnels and let the quality be a little lower

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • Better quality signal and lose a few channels

Votes: 18 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
More channels, with the following caveats:

1) We're talking about a digital signal, not analog.

2) The compromised channels are still well above threshold.

3) The compromised channels don't include a channel that is a "must have", even in rainy conditions.

More Channels... I've been watching over-compressed Bell channels for years and have become accustomed to the bad picture quality. (One of the reasons that I haven't bought an HDTV set yet..) There are times that I'll even watch the washed out picture on White Springs TV. :)

Well, our main TV is 57 inches and we watch a lot of TV. I have had DISH network for 14 years or so and think we could do with less channels, but the picture quality is fine with me (over the years there have been times when it sucked, I will admit).

So, I don't need a better picture or more channels...how about a third choice of "LOWER THE DAMN BILL"

I rather have higher bitsrates, for a better picture for live sports and news channels, but at the sametime I like to see more new channels!!:hungry::D

So yes, I am in a rock and a hard place....... It would be nice to ask the FCC make more new room on 10.7 GHz to 11.7 GHz FSS FTA band!!:idea:

Since I already have an extra LNB sitting on the shelf. I would duct tape it along side the other working LNB and try and pickup them two extra channels that are a tad off skew.

My system is already tweaked so tight now, that if a fly was to land on the LNB, I would loose a couple of channels.

However, I found that if I peaked on Montana PBS (12104), which I do watch, the signal quality on the Horizontal feeds was seriously compromised. If I peaked on the Horizontal feeds, Montana PBS's quality went into the toilet. I believe it is interference from 12104 G-18 (123) which meant to peak for Montana PBS required the dish to be slightly off of 125. So to get all, I had to give up a little on Montana PBS (about 10-15%) to get enough quality on the Horizontal feeds to avoid them getting too close to the pixelation zone. Works just fine. (NOTE: interestingly, the mux at 12178 seemed to be "happy" at either peak location.)

Keith
There isnt any H transponders on AMC21 anymore. The 12120 H TP is gone (unless you can get LPB on DVB-S2)

This sound like what I have to do to pick up LPB on AMC21. If I peak on for LPB I can get around 63% quality but will lose Montana PBS. I can peak on Montana PBS but lose LPB so I split the difference for both with about 50% quality. Both lock fine and do not break up.

Based on the theoretical signal levels all being far enough above threshold except possibly during inclimate wx, I'll go with more channels. If I live somewhere where snow or other issues were season long, I may opt for strength over quantity, but stormy wx bad enough here to take out a signal usually doesnt happen very often, or for very long.
BUT....there's this not so new fangled thingy.........say it with me boys and girls.......pol-ar-o-tor. Yes, I intend to have the best of both, and from the comfort of the ol' worn out LaZBoy! :D
Sure it's on my C band rig, but I will always have a dual band, polar mount, polarotor setup as long as there is FTA/DCII to see there.
Not to split nits Iceman, but you said no add'l dishes/LNBs, nuthin about a polarotor system. Is that cheating?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
More Channels... I've been watching over-compressed Bell channels for years and have become accustomed to the bad picture quality. (One of the reasons that I haven't bought an HDTV set yet..) There are times that I'll even watch the washed out picture on White Springs TV. :)

I was thinking "poor quality" in this poll referred to BER (Bit Error Rate), not picture quality. With digital, as long as you have a lock, picture quality should not suffer whether it is a lock at 55Q or a lock at 100Q. There's a digital "cliff" where the signal is either perfect on one side or breaking up (or non-existent) on the other.

If the choice was about picture quality, I would definitely take fewer channels... Hence the caveat that the signal had to be digital and not analog.

That ain't no Pringles can they're using, it's a lower quality generic brand they picked up at Aldi. Wish they'd move back to G-18.

I wish they moved back to G-18 also.

Your Aldi analogy .........LOL , sorry I personally like Aldi's because they sell quality rebranded items ( Like Mama Cozzi Self Rising is actually Digiorno) , someone once posted that they bought a Medion or Tevion FTA receiver from Europe and you know who carries that line of electronics .

best quality,i mean heck who needs all those foreign language channels.
i mean yeah i speak 3 languages but none of those channels speak my languages.
hillbilly and pig latin i am very fluent in, my english is a little spotty though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts