More for the HD rumor mill

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just because I felt like it I contacted the Phoenix station, this is what i got:

There is not currently a process for granting a waiver to import only the CBS HD programming. If we waive our network non-duplication rights your satellite carrier may then import all CBS programming from out of market.

We base our decision to grant or deny waiver requests on our analog signal strength at your location. We will grant the waiver request if our City Grade B signal strength is 4dB or less at your location.

The process for requesting the waiver is to have your satellite provider request one on your behalf. They will use the DecisionMark database to make the request. The database contains our projected signal pattern, including terrain variables, and it will convert your street address into longitude and latitude coordinates and cross reference your location against the signal pattern. We will then use that database to check our signal strength at your location, and either grant or deny the request. The records in the database are then the official source for the status of your waiver.

We have found that in the vast majority of cases if our analog signal strength is greater than 4dB at a given location, our digital signal strength is at least as great, meaning that a digital HD signal can be received over the air at that location.

The exceptions to that are the locations outside of the Phoenix metro area but still within the Phoenix DMA which are served by analog translators but do not receive the digital signal. Those locations are in a bit of a Catch-22 for now. We serve those areas with CBS programming, so we will not grant waivers there, the FCC has not started to grant translator frequencies for digital translators so we cannot construct a digital translator to serve the area, and the DBS satellite providers are unwilling to use the bandwidth necessary to carry our local HD signal into those areas.

Seth Parker
Program Director

Now I am thinking, since he doesn't even know that ONLY the HD feed IS available, what else does he NOT know. What can I say ... lots of spare time at the office today.

I currently live in Boston and I was told I have to get a waiver to receive the CBS-HD east channel so I submitted one. Within 1 to 2 weeks i was getting the feed from DTV. About a month later I received a card in the mail saying I was denied the waiver but I still get the feed. I don't know why i get it still but I am not complaining.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts