More HD Channels?

kluever

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I know this is a hot button issue for everyone, and I was wondering where I can go to get the latest information on when Dish Network is going to give us some more HD channels.

Does Charlie ever address this issue on Charlie Chat? Are transcripts available online?

I've only had my HDTV about two weeks and I love it. The limited programming is killing me though.

I don't understand all the stuff about satellites and needing more room to broadcast HD, but is the supposed deal with VOOM going to result in more "room" for HD?

Any info would be great. Thanks.

No. They said they may "have to" add maybe 2 HD channels between now and next year. But other than that the way they have things set up and have to fight the single dish ban etc they don't have room to add more HD until the can switch to MPEG4 which will be another year.

In my opinion I'd rather the quality of channels we have now that has good programming versus throwing up 21 channels of junk, ergo - voom.

I spoke with a CSR yesterday, as I was ordering my 2nd 811 (on LEASE). FWIW, he says that NBC, FOX and ABC HD are in the works. If you can't get OTA, that will help.

And.....

Why in the world would anybody believe the notoriously inaccurate CSRs? They don't have a clue what's coming. If ABC, NBC and FOX were really "in the works" don't you think Charlie would have been advertising it to the world like crazy?

mdonnelly said:
I spoke with a CSR yesterday, as I was ordering my 2nd 811 (on LEASE). FWIW, he says that NBC, FOX and ABC HD are in the works. If you can't get OTA, that will help.

Not really, heck you can say any channel is in the works as long as you don't have it.

wmhjr said:
Why in the world would anybody believe the notoriously inaccurate CSRs? They don't have a clue what's coming. If ABC, NBC and FOX were really "in the works" don't you think Charlie would have been advertising it to the world like crazy?
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just throwing it out there. He wasn't selling me anything. I told him I have the networks OTA, and that's better than what E* will ever provide from the satellite.

IF they get the Rainbow 1 satellite and extra 61.5 transponders, they could use them for more HD.

Will they? Who knows.

Echostar mpeg4 transition will probably be late. Have they ever done anything this agressive on schecule?

I've got to say this, when they try to switch to MPEG 4, it is going to throw a monkeys wrench into our hopes and dreams. MPEG4 via satellite is fairly new thing, and they are going to have problems. I'd be willing to bet it will take them three years after they start MPEG4 to get all of the bugs out, hell it has taken them over a year with the 811, and it still has problems!

E* has found it's niche and it's not HD!

If E* wanted to keep it's HD customers from getting restless and deflecting to other services, they could add Universal HD, STARZ HD, and Cinamax HD. In late 2003 it appeared that E* was very interested in being the leader in HD and they were talking about adding many new HD channels. Since then they have added TNT HD and have basically stopped talking about HD while D* is starting an advertising campain based on the large number of new HD channels being added during the next 2 years.

It appears that E* has decided that their niche is foreign language channels, local SD channels, and shopping channels while D* is staking out niches in NFL football, HD locals, and HD national channels. However, it certainly appears that E* is going to have enough capacity to be a serious competitor to D* in HD if their business model changes and that I might not have to switch to D* for HD. Time will tell!

Well, I guess I hope E* gets the network feeds - but because I live in a suburb of Washington, DC (Falls Church, VA), I cannot have them. I wish Charlie would give me my locals in HD. And the national HD channels mentioned above would be very nice too.

--the Doug

datwell:

where you are you should simply put up a high quality UHF antenna, rotor and preamp and you should get wash, arlington, fairfax, baltimore, annapolis, manassas, and goldveina stations in digital... a pre amp may not even be necesarry if you are not interested in baltimore stations...put that signal into your E* HD receiver and away you go...

tonyp56 said:
I've got to say this, when they try to switch to MPEG 4, it is going to throw a monkeys wrench into our hopes and dreams. MPEG4 via satellite is fairly new thing, and they are going to have problems. I'd be willing to bet it will take them three years after they start MPEG4 to get all of the bugs out, hell it has taken them over a year with the 811, and it still has problems!

Nah, given E*s stellar track record with their receivers I'm sure there will be ZERO problems.

OK, guys you can stop laughing now...I was just kidding.

There will be zero problems.... zero second recording problems.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)