More HD for Hawaii and Alaska?

djmaui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Maui
In antcipation of all the spare bandwidth that e*11 has after moving the e*8 stuff over, I'm thinking about what HD content could supplement our existing ten HD channels in Hawaii and Alaska. (HD Theater, HD Net, HD Movies, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, Universal, NFL, HBO, Showtime - we also get Hd locals except for NBC - KHNL13, which was a big drag for the Olympics)

I'm hoping for the local NBC station - KHNL13 HD(or at least a substitute from another location), more HBO and Showtime HDchannels, CNN, History, Discovery, TLC, Travel, Nat Geo,VS,CNBC, Science, Sci-Fi. Also MSNBC when it gets picked up by dish, and Comedy Central when it launches next year.

As for next year, if the Ciel-2 footprint includes strong HI and AK lobes, we could become full HD Dish citizens (with a third big dish aimed @129). I live on Maui and currently have a 39" on 110 and a 30" on 119.

Any other Hawaiians or Alaskans out there with preferences for limited HD additions @ 110 degrees?

Dosent dish do the those 10 hd channels on a few spotbeams for ak and hawaii? So you can use a 30" to get them? Back in AK we had to use a 6' for the 110 for reliable reception.

Dosent dish do the those 10 hd channels on a few spotbeams for ak and hawaii? So you can use a 30" to get them? Back in AK we had to use a 6' for the 110 for reliable reception.

I think I rambled a bit and maybe lost the point. We do get the 10 channel Alaska/Hawaii HD 10-pak currently with a 39" dish @ 110 (spotbeam 47). Actually, we would only need a 30" for that location now, since e*11 is sending a more powerful beam than e*8 did.

My post was meant to survey AK/HI folks to see what additional Hd channels we should lobby e* for, now that they'll have spare bandwidth on e*11 for more HD content.

I think I rambled a bit and maybe lost the point. We do get the 10 channel Alaska/Hawaii HD 10-pak currently with a 39" dish @ 110 (spotbeam 47). Actually, we would only need a 30" for that location now, since e*11 is sending a more powerful beam than e*8 did.

My post was meant to survey AK/HI folks to see what additional Hd channels we should lobby e* for, now that they'll have spare bandwidth on e*11 for more HD content.

The choices you mentioned are all good choices, at this point anything is a bonus. It would be nice to get a regional sports network also.

I'm not holding my breath though, you would think they could activate SCIFI and USA which are viewable now. I'm still blown away that the people with the power to activate these for us have not.

The choices you mentioned are all good choices, at this point anything is a bonus. It would be nice to get a regional sports network also.

I'm not holding my breath though, you would think they could activate SCIFI and USA which are viewable now. I'm still blown away that the people with the power to activate these for us have not.

Yeah, I keep seeing USA and SCI_FI in red on the guide. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I keep seeing USA and SCI_FI in red on the guide. Go figure. :rolleyes:

All DISH has to do is add them to the our package, that can't be that hard.

I forgot to mention my setup: A 6 foot dish for 110, a 4 footer for 119, and a 30 inch for 148. In the future I can probably point the 30 inch at 119 and the 4 footer at 129.

I hope you're right and Dish has plans for us, but I wish they would say something. They've announced plans for conus, how about us? I'm tired of complaining about the lack of HD channels, I want to complain about the lack of good HD content on my 150 channels.

As a HD subscriber in AK, I have been frustrated about our lack of channels for a while. What's really giving me heartburn is that they have had a spotbeam (TP31) pointed at us with no channels on it since E10 has been operating.
Now that we are getting much better signal strength out of E11, they should be able to consolodate some of the AK/HI spot beam HD channels that thare duplicated on conus transponders (TNT, HDnet, HDmovies, ESPN, HD theater).
I just wish someone at Dish would let us know that they are working on a plan for us up here in the great white north.....

My preference for HD channel additions would be Discovery, Science, TLC, History, National Geographic, Food Network, and Travel.

Last edited:
You know what the reply from Dish will be if you ask don't you?

:)"Soon":)

I agree, one would think that at least they would throw us a bone with Sci-Fi and USA HD now that we have such strong signals from E-11, but nothing yet. You would also think that they could get the local NBC and Fox channels up on HD, but Dish is playing hard -a** with them I would guess. You know every penny counts with Charles.

I hope ciel-2 at 129 will give us a nice strong lobe so we can become HD citizens like our peers in the lower 48.

I live on the Big Island (Hawaii) and have two oversized dishes aimed at the 110 and 119 satellites. I receive the Hawaii/Alaska 10 channel HD package plus local channels (except NBC). My highest priority HD additions would be the Golf Channel and NBC.

Aloha

At this point I would just be happy to have NBC and USA. I'm suffering under Time Warner cable right now waiting for them to give us something before I decide to reactivate my account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)