More information on Echostar Broadband

ahhh I hope it comes out later this year. Cause with wildblue its 479 for the whole thing. 299 for the dish/modem and 179 for the install. I hope they offer free install I am saving every dang dime I got to get wildblue cause I cant get dsl or cable in my area. Timer Warner doesn't plan to service the area and bellsouth keeps giving me the freaking runaround. I am sick of this 21k internet speed cant do crap with it. As god as my witness I am so getting off dialup this year don't care if it takes me until Christmas I am getting off it.

ahhh wish the pdf had more info. so I can decide to either go with echostar or wildblue this year.

so i am guessing which ever i decide (wildblue or dish) i will need a 3rd dish on my roof? I will be getting my 61.5 tomorrow, and i have the regular one also. My husband will love the looks of that.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, to be precise, it's 89,200 miles ...
Well, to be more precise, your figure is only correct if you live on the equator directly beneath the satellite. ;) Otherwise, the line of sight distance to the geostationary orbital location increases as you approach the poles, and as you move E-W on the equator.

There has been no discussion of when this is going to come out and costs... When and how much??? Is this going to run off of Wildblue or be completly seperate?

bsilvertab said:
There has been no discussion of when this is going to come out and costs... When and how much??? Is this going to run off of Wildblue or be completly seperate?

Wildblue is a completely seperate system. Evidently, there were talks at one time, but it didn't come to anything.

Stargazer said:
I bet Dish Network will offer a bundling deal to compete against cable.

that will be cool if they do. Wish they hurry up cause that be my luck I pay 478 for the total price of wildblue then a week or month goes by and Dish Network offers Broadband for 99 dollars and free install 40 bucks a month I am just saying thats not the price but it could happen stuff like that always happens to me :( .

I'm thinking that the price under $40 that they announced at a meeting was probably a bundled price if you took their television service. Maybe they would add an additional discount to those with the AEP package.

I noticed it appears that E*Broadband to be more then just 2-way satellite, it looks like they will offer warless internet in some markets ( I assume using the terrestrial dbs frequinceis they picked up in the FCC auction a few months ago) and through some electric power companys in other markets. I would love to know what markets E*Broadband will offer these alternate services and what kind of rate's and bundling discounts they plan? When are these services slated to start?

I agree with Geeke19, and the broadband through electric power companies would hopefully allow us to have internet access out in the country. They probably want to beat others to the punch with the wireless and power line broadband to diversify themselves. They could have an exclusive deal with some of the electric power companies. Having broadband may be almost as important as locals in some areas due to the bundling offered to customers in order to prevent churn and to get additional subs. Many stay with cable because of the broadband available and bundling.

The market is still very ripe for affordable internet, and thats not 60-90 bucks a month. Were talking 40 bucks a month or less. If they can do it with satellite they will get subscribers. Yes it's not for gaiming and yes there is a second delay between clicks, but it's a better alternative to nothing. Some dialup customers can only connect at 14400 because of poor phone line quality or distance limitations, this would be a welcome thing. The killer on wireless and satellite is the install costs, $200-800 bucks, people just won't do it. Provide free hardware and it would be a go.

The phone companies sometimes just hook you up to different hardware at their central office to get you a lower speed too. They cut my speed in half when I switched to a different local phone company and the speed remained low when I switched back. Nothing I can do about it.

sprintcarcrazy said:
The market is still very ripe for affordable internet, and thats not 60-90 bucks a month. Were talking 40 bucks a month or less. If they can do it with satellite they will get subscribers. Yes it's not for gaiming and yes there is a second delay between clicks, but it's a better alternative to nothing. Some dialup customers can only connect at 14400 because of poor phone line quality or distance limitations, this would be a welcome thing. The killer on wireless and satellite is the install costs, $200-800 bucks, people just won't do it. Provide free hardware and it would be a go.

Seen something on a website this year cant think of the website address but it had a poll 96% of the people voted reason they havent went to direcway or starband was cause of the installion price. I mean direcway is 600 to install and starband is like 800. Earthlink dish broadband was 1300 to install last time I checked. And they wonder why people in rural areas wont buy their service. If the hardware could be free or install be free or they could offer them at a low price then alot of people in the rural areas would go on it.

Now as for BPL (broadband over powerlines) I seen on BROADBANDREPORTS that its not even coming to rural areas because of the people that operate HAM Radio's mess up the signal havent heard that much more about it for about a month.

Did they talk about what equipment would be used for their service? That picture of the dish with "Echostar Broadband" on it has no discernible features. Who will be making the modems? Anyone know?

noremac said:
Well, to be more precise, your figure is only correct if you live on the equator directly beneath the satellite. ;) Otherwise, the line of sight distance to the geostationary orbital location increases as you approach the poles, and as you move E-W on the equator.
True, true!

Although the difference is typically less than 1% ;)

Specifically, if you move 500 miles from the "plumb" point, it adds less than 6 miles to the total distance. 1000 miles adds 22 miles (0.1%). :)

And 5K miles - like to Alaska - finally gets you up to 22850, or an extra 550 miles or 2.5%.

Consider the nit picked. :D :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)