More information on Echostar Broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Has anyone yet heard any solid information about when this will be available and will it likely be in the $40/month range? Living out here in the BFE section of east Texas, anything faster than dial-up would be welcome, all nit picking aside of course.

Geeke19 said:
Now as for BPL (broadband over powerlines) I seen on BROADBANDREPORTS that its not even coming to rural areas because of the people that operate HAM Radio's mess up the signal havent heard that much more about it for about a month.

;)

You might want to check the ARRL web site for more information about Broadband Over Power Line. The issues with it are more on the lines of the radio interference that is generated by these BPL systems to all forms of radio communications. Not just ham radio but public safety services, police, fire, ems, government, etc etc etc.

VoIP over the satellite really isn't that bad. Anyone with a GSM phone should already be accustomed to a similiar delay, especially when calling another GSM user. 2 sat users calling eachother might be a bit much though...

dishdood said:
VoIP over the satellite really isn't that bad. Anyone with a GSM phone should already be accustomed to a similiar delay, especially when calling another GSM user. 2 sat users calling eachother might be a bit much though...

Uh, it will be MUCH worse. If you have ever tried to have a converstation over a satellite connection, you would understand.

I think satellite's days are numbered. Within the next two years, both Sprint and Verizon will have rolled out EVDO service across 100% of their networks as well as many of their affiliates. That's 200Kbps sustained bursting to 500 with quite low latency (I have seen 200-300ms in general) for $80 a month. IMO that is about equal to what satellite offers now with NO throttle issues and less than half the latency. On the GSM side of things, Cingular will have rolled out UMTS which should have similar performance with a much larger footprint. Their roaming partners will, of course, follow suit. Even WAY out in the sticks, there's almost always wireless coverage. Even if the signal is a bit low or not available inside the house, a big Yagi antenna will normally do the trick. So, you might want to revisit wireless broadband. It may already be a better option available to you now.

Once fiber gets rolled out to your area and/or bundling of video/internet/phone service happens satellite better do all they can do to keep their customers by either offering something really unique or the lowest prices (this is what they will have to do, be the cheapest) which would be hard to do with the bundling deals.

Geeke19 said:
alot of people cant even get wireless broadband its either dialup or sateillite. :(

This isn't WiFi which is distance limited... if your cellphone works, you will soon have broadband coverage if you don't already (carrier dependant but most are heading that way in a hurry... Sprint and Verizon offer ISDN speeds nationwide NOW and Cingular will shortly). Now, there's very very very few places where you can't get a wireless signal, especially if using fixed equipment and very high gain antennas.

You're definitely city-centric. ;)

There are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of square miles of territory that don't and won't have coverage.

Strangely enough :rolleyes: the people living there are the same MILLIONS that got this whole satellite TV thing going in the first place with BUDs. ;)

I spoke to a knowledgable Verizon CSR today. She said that they can go 5 miles out from the central office but due to the fact that regulations prevent them from offering it further out they cannot do so. The reason why they are prevented from going further out is due to them not being able to offer everyone the same speed for the same price. I asked why they coudlnt charge less for those on out and she said that perhaps the law didnt allow that. Sounds screwed up to me.

I think Charlie is pulling the wool over our eyes with this broadband, just to keep us from going to Wildblue.
So sit here waiting while charlie promises us high speed wireless using sat.

I am in the boonies, cannot get cable or dsl, wifi sucks with two providers I have been with.

So I am on a priority list with Wild Blue.

Activ8

I agree with you on the wool over the eyes a bit. Wonder if this is just a fluke to make us not go to wildblue. I would get wildblue when it comes out next month but my zip code says theres not a installer in my area they hope to have one before SEP.

I cant wait :)

The more I read my own post the more I truly believe it.
It's vaporware.

Oh if Charlie needs betatesters !! put me on the list

Activ8

I think Dish Network has a good chance if their service is under $40/mo and free hardware as they said a few years ago at a retailer meeting but anything can change between then and now. They could advertise this through all of their retailers that are already present instead of having to find new retailers like WildBlue has to do. Any product they launch has that benefit to begin with.

Anyone think this talk of broadband service by Dish is just a cover for Dish to use Ka band for HD locals like DirecTV is planning with their Spaceway satellites?

activ8 said:
The more I read my own post the more I truly believe it.
It's vaporware.

Oh if Charlie needs betatesters !! put me on the list

Activ8

I was so excited to hear about Dish's foray into broadband and I foolishly thought they were really ready to launch with it. But... I think you're right. More vaporware. I've signed up on WildBlue's waiting list as well as an earlier poster.

Yes for now it is Vaporware, Dish is going to sit back and see what Wildblue does then decide their options from there.

BTW I should note at the 2005 Satellite Expo we will be using Wildblue for our Internet access in our Internet Cafe. We are proud to be working with Wildblue on this and hope to have more from Wildblue soon!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes for now it is Vaporware, Dish is going to sit back and see what Wildblue does then decide their options from there.

BTW I should note at the 2005 Satellite Expo we will be using Wildblue for our Internet access in our Internet Cafe. We are proud to be working with Wildblue on this and hope to have more from Wildblue soon!

Is Wilbblue actually up and running somewhere or are they just trying to get going? On the website when I put in my zipcode I get the response that they are planning to launch in my area in the June-July timeframe. I am a little leary at this as it sounds to me like - "It ain't gonna happen". I just wish I knew a little more about this company. I'm on the list though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)