Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is some more information on Echostar Broadband!

The PDF attached has some interesting stuff in it. Good reading. :)

Attachments

• satguysbroadband.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 2,994
You've got to be joking, they show VoIP via satellite as an application? Guess it would work as long as when you're done speaking that you say "over" and then wait for the other person? Doesn't anyone remember using a phone on the old Satellite Business Service long distance service back in the 80's/early 90's, it was horrible!

Heh, it would probably be the same as these long distance via-satellite live interviews we see on the network news shows. The interviewer and interviewee are always stepping on each other, because of the high transmission lag. Sometimes it's just embarassing to watch.

I really didn't see much info, other than some picture diagrams...any word on transfer speeds, cost yet?

Yeah what are the speeds. Is this gonna be real broadband or like similar to the turtle speeds of DirecWay?

This another one of those topics that charlie said was not worth pursuing in the last earnings call, man this guy has really had a change of vision!!!!

BFG said:
This another one of those topics that charlie said was not worth pursuing in the last earnings call, man this guy has really had a change of vision!!!!

either that or he remembered the fallout of him mentioning MPEG4 in one of those calls last year and was afraid to mention this stuff.

This must be the bastard step-child of Team Summit...no real news or data, and apparently very little interest on the subject. :(

DWS44 said:
This must be the bastard step-child of Team Summit...no real news or data, and apparently very little interest on the subject. :(
Well, yeah!

Even here in the middle of Colorado, my area is served by two WiFi companies (one is crap and I can't see the other one from my house), AND my two-bit junk phone company is putting in DSL in 2 weeks. :) That lets me drop my DirecWay.

SO, right here in Dogpatch, there's 5 ways to get HSI (depending on terrain). DSL, 2 WiFi, 2 satellite (soon to be 3 with WildBlue).

So tell me again why we need a FOURTH satellite HSI?

i live in a town of 50,000 + people, i live 4 miles from town, i don't have cable and they don't plan on giving it to my development, same is true for dsl-we have talked to qwest (our carrier) and they don't plan on updating our lines, no wi-fi avail., direct way is very $$$, i already have dish so i would love to get internet with them, i am currently dialing up at about 28.8, sometimes as slow as 12....i hate it.

Well...satellites are like 22,000 miles up... so I would think that anything hitting a satellite would suffer from the 2 second delay.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, yeah!

So tell me again why we need a FOURTH satellite HSI?

Sorry if I offended you there Simon...in my town we are captives to a local rich-family owned communications company that controls all avenues of communication, tv, internet, etc. They are so messed up they make Charlie look like a saint. I've managed to get all pieces of communication away from them except broadband (they control BOTH cable and DSL). To keep cable (which is supposed to be $40/month) I have to keep basic cable (to the tune of $20 - which get a whopping 13 channels if I DID use it) so I end up paying $60 for a $40 service. DSL? I can get that for ~$40/month...if I get their basic phone service...which $25/month on top of that...and that I dont need since I have a good wireless plan thru Sprint. A few of the ISPs started setting up wireless systems, but they all disappeared very quickly, likely at the hands of the communications company of which I speak. Microsoft has nothing on these people in regard to anti-competitive practices, from what I hear.

My biggest goal is to kick these crooks to the curb completely someday...but I gotta find some broadband to complete that task.

DirectWay is high-$$$ and from what I've always heard (your post included) not worth it...which was why I was holding a bit of hope that the E* system might be reasonably priced, and perhaps worth a dang. I'm not familiar with WildBlue, so perhaps they will be an option.

TuxCoder said:
Heh, it would probably be the same as these long distance via-satellite live interviews we see on the network news shows. The interviewer and interviewee are always stepping on each other, because of the high transmission lag. Sometimes it's just embarassing to watch.

To educate everyone, the satellite delay equals .25sec or 250ms. You can't get away from the limits to the speed of light. transmitting to a geosynchronous satellite at approx. 26000 miles out takes radio waves (aka light) .25 sec to get up and back down to earth. I worked for a satellite based LD carrier in the '80s'

so, from the time you click, it takes at LEAST 1 sec, and maybe longer since you have to wait for the response from the server. It's a 100,000 mile round trip from your modem to them and back.

larrystotler said:
so, from the time you click, it takes at LEAST 1 sec, and maybe longer since you have to wait for the response from the server. It's a 100,000 mile round trip from your modem to them and back.
Well, to be precise, it's 89,200 miles and the minimum propogation delay of a round-trip to a server and back due to the distance is 479ms. :D :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)