More Newbie FTA questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kosmo114

Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Moved from another forum..

Please forgive me, if some of these questions have been answered in previous threads.

I am looking to get into the Sat FTA hobbie area. I am really interested in picking up the FTA feeds for locals in other cities, and some of the odd ball programing.

I have looked at lysat site for ones broadcasting in the clear on KU. I was looking for some recommendations, and or opinions on whether it's is worth the effort.

First off
I am limited to the following since I live in a townhouse complex.

Here is what I am hoping to setup.

18" Ku band dish, with dual lnb's, could go larger, but 30" is out due to local community restrictions.

DVB FTA receiver. Something in the 150 to 250 dollar price range.

Have limited access to sky, due to local obstructions. Could get clear line of site from around 350 to 180 degrees.

Basically I am looking for opinions on FTA / DVB receivers, Ku band dishes, options, and how much programing i could get by re-using 18" DBS dish.

Thanks for your input!

An 18" dish is only going to bring you the FTA dbs channels/satellites, so about all you will get (if you have line of sight) would be music channels, Gol TV, Nasa and a few test/info channels, I would say 90% of the FTA hobby is Ku band, for that you would need a 30" minimum sized dish, on a perfect day pointing at a strong satellite you may just get by with say a 24" dish but you would soon get fed up with your reception if it starts to cloud up or rain.

A great starter receiver would be the Satwork 3618 (IMO) thats what I have it it is VERY simple to operate, just point at the satellite and do a blind scan, and it finds the channels for you! If you intend to add a motor the Satwork 3688 would be my choice, the Satworks are MUCH cheaper than the much talked about Pansat receiver.
I would say its your call, I would rather have some FTA dbs channels than nothing I guess, but you would be missing out on most of the FTA channels up there in ku band, for around $165 you can get a basic receiver , 30" dish and ku band LNB, that may be the cheapest way into the hobby and you will not be out of pocket too much, and the dish could be stored away in case you ever move, thats another thing they should not be able to stop you getting a 30" dish, they are not much bigger than say a 24" dish, and the dish can be painted or there are new dish covers available that slip over the dish, they come painted with wood or brick effect on them, hope this helps a bit.

kosmo114 said:
Moved from another forum..

Please forgive me, if some of these questions have been answered in previous threads.

I am looking to get into the Sat FTA hobbie area. I am really interested in picking up the FTA feeds for locals in other cities, and some of the odd ball programing.

Thats the best stuff to pick up (oddball programming) :)

First off
I am limited to the following since I live in a townhouse complex.

Here is what I am hoping to setup.

18" Ku band dish, with dual lnb's, could go larger, but 30" is out due to local community restrictions.

The FCC says you can put a dish up as long as it's less than a meter (39.67 inches). The townhouse community cannot restrict you from putting it up, as long as you own or have an exclusive area. I own my townhouse but have 2 30" dishes up :)

Check out this link for more info on what you can put up.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
DVB FTA receiver. Something in the 150 to 250 dollar price range.
For 150-250 you can get a real good receiver. Something like the Satworks 3618, 3688, or Pansat 2500
Have limited access to sky, due to local obstructions. Could get clear line of site from around 350 to 180 degrees.
depending on where you're located, that could be ok or not good. Need to know approximatelly where you are. If you live in FL or the east coast, you could get almost everything. If you live in AZ, then there's issues :)
Basically I am looking for opinions on FTA / DVB receivers, Ku band dishes, options, and how much programing i could get by re-using 18" DBS dish.

Thanks for your input!

Some of the stuff you can get with an 18" dish are
Dish 119-NASA, remote control help channel (101), Angel One, the Muzak audio only channels
Dish 110-Gol TV
ExpressVu 91-audio only channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.