More on Dish HDCP

Anybody want to vote me into office? (Any office, I don't care which one.) I'll introduce a bill to abolish patents and copyrights. Face it, more people don't want them than want them, since they actually limit creativity rather than stimulate it, so it's time for people to wake up and take their country back from the money-lords.

So my HDTV that I paid two thousand bucks for will become a SDTV sometime next year because it only has component input.

I smell a BIG class action lawsuit brewing. It will name Dish, Direct, the cable companies, the TV manufacturers and the content providers as defendants.

From what it sounds like, this is being forced down Dish's throat.

If anything, sounds like Dish, Direct, etc.,etc., should be coming together to sue the bastards trying to screw everybody with this HDCP crap.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think this is just Dish's way of prepping for the future...distant future. I think it is there way of getting installers to use HDMI whenever possible. If broadcasters were really going to do this next year don't you think we'd here about it elsewhere and there would be a ton of uproar? HD DVD and Blu-Ray have a "gentlemens agreement" that they won't turn on the flag for a few years. And comparing those to DishHD is like already having the flag set by Dish. :)

I don't think that is the case considering there seems to be a shortage of them right now, and most installers including me prefer them. (I also like hooking-up the component in case the HDMI fails, the customer isn't screwed until he can get a replacement HDMI.)

It has been a while since I've actually seen a HDMI to use one.

This is terrible. There's situations where HDMI plain won't work, and unless they fix HDMI, they better not do this.

I won't believe it until I see it though.

I think the bigger story here is which of the content providers have the guts to push out HDCP. They can choose to do anything that they like, but if they are premium providers, they will know quickly after more subscriber churn reports turn up.

Will the component connection be downrezzed? Or merely analog 720/1080? I thought the driver behind HDCP was to prevent the ability to copy broadcasts in a digital format.
Am I being the optimist?
Of course, I went into the sys info page as directed and screen 2 says I'm not using a digital connection even though I'm using an HDMI to DVI connection?
Miner

I knew this was coming because it is already in MS Windows Vista. If your display isn't HDCP compliant you get downrezzed.

This isn't an E* mandate. It is straight from the content providers. You know, the same sharp thinkers that have driven the music industry into the dirt.

What is ironic though is that not too long ago people with broken HDMI connectors on Vip211's and 622's were being told by E* support to just use the component connections. They don't support HDMI.

So let's say I have a HDCP compliant TV, with DVI and component inputs, and currently have it connected via component, because I like the component picture better. Do I have to switch back to DVI for the best resolution? This would suck, because I have a nice Philips upconverting DVD player hooked to the DVI input.:(

Copyright laws as they stand now should be abolished. If you don't want your material copied, you shouldn't broadcast it via RF. To ask anything else is insanity and insane people shouldn't have a say in how the world is run. By providing laws promoting insanity, the government is violating its own restriction on establishing a state religion.

How to use 622 HDMI Test

I'm looking for a detailed explanation for all of the data available with the 622's HDMI Test. There are several pages of status info available but the "Help" feature gives no info on what they mean. My 34xbr960 TV is specified to be HDCP compliant but the quick test mentioned using the 622 6-1-Next menu states that my receiver is not HDCP compliant.

Scott - is an explanation for the HDMI Test feature available anywhere?

Dave Swartz

P Smith,

I think I hear you saying that once the HDCP flag is enabled, the component output will only support 480 resolution. I ask what will my HCMI output to my TV that is not HDCP compliant? If it outputs 480 resolution for all channels, this will be less than good.

Miner

P Smith,

I think I hear you saying that once the HDCP flag is enabled, the component output will only support 480 resolution. I ask what will my HCMI output to my TV that is not HDCP compliant? If it outputs 480 resolution for all channels, this will be less than good.

Miner

That is correct. Most HDCP-protected content will be downrezed to 480p on non-HDCP connections.

It gets worse. HDCP includes several flags that control what can be copied/recorded.
If they set the "No Copy" bit then you can't record that content on your DVR.

I'm looking for a detailed explanation for all of the data available with the 622's HDMI Test. There are several pages of status info available but the "Help" feature gives no info on what they mean. My 34xbr960 TV is specified to be HDCP compliant but the quick test mentioned using the 622 6-1-Next menu states that my receiver is not HDCP compliant.

Scott - is an explanation for the HDMI Test feature available anywhere?

Dave Swartz

Check the settings on your TV if you have your 622/722 connected with DVI or HDMI and the test says you are not compliant. I checked my two HDTVs that are connected with both component and DVI. One set said it was compliant the other said not compliant. I discovered that my Panasonic tuner switches automatically to digital and the Sony doesn't. The Sony was set to analog mode. I switched it to digital and re-ran the test and then the 722 said it was HDCP compliant. So do some checking of settings.

How to hook up another receiver

Rumored price increase for 2/1/08

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts