More than four receivers on SW44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JHark

Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Sorry if this is covered, but I did a search and came up blank. I have a dish 500 system with an SW44. I want eventually to have six receivers, one of which will be a 921. Can I split/cascade the switches? I understand the 921 needs two inputs. Can I split at the receiver? (I have only one cable through the wall to where the 921 will be.) Many thanks in advance.

JHark said:
Sorry if this is covered, but I did a search and came up blank. I have a dish 500 system with an SW44. I want eventually to have six receivers, one of which will be a 921. Can I split/cascade the switches? I understand the 921 needs two inputs. Can I split at the receiver? (I have only one cable through the wall to where the 921 will be.) Many thanks in advance.

If you keep your legacy equipment, then you will need 4 spliitters (DC blocking) before the SW44 and add another SW44. You will not be able to add a splitter after the SW44 as this will prevent the reciever from signalling the SW44.

sw44

Can anybody tell me the exact way to connect two sw44(legacy) for use with dish 500 (119, 110) and please the parts list

Thanks
jdgonzal

2 sw44 switches

first you will need four 2-way power passing splitters, come out of the dual LNBF on the 119 side, run the cables into the in port of the splitter (you will need to do this with 2 splitters). From the out ports of the splitters you will need to run 2 cables. From 1 splitter you need to run a cable into port 1B of both 44 switches. From the 2nd splitter you need to run a cable into port 1A of both 44 switches. Repeat this for the 110 side. Both switches will require a power inserter

kgibbs824 said:
first you will need four 2-way power passing splitters

This is incorrect. You must use Power BLOCKING splitters when using more than 1 SW44 or SW64. One port passes voltage to the LNB, the other is blocked. You will fry the LNBs if you use power passing on both ports. See this photo:

http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2000/tradeshow/00000315.JPG

And, with legacy, you only need a splitter rated from 950-1500Mhz, not 2300Mhz.

Setting up multiple legacy switches this way is best left to an expert.

You will fry the LNBs if you use power passing on both ports.
NO you wont. I had four SW 64's connected for several years with power passing splitters.The LNB is only going to draw a certain amount of power. If you have more than one source it will draw equally from each source. It will never draw more power than it needs.

n0qcu said:
NO you wont. I had four SW 64's connected for several years with power passing splitters.The LNB is only going to draw a certain amount of power. If you have more than one source it will draw equally from each source. It will never draw more power than it needs.

I have fried them before in this way. It is always better to do it right. If you overpower the LNB it will end up bad. And, E*'s install instructions specifically stated power blocking or using power taps? to drop the voltage down. Also, power passing on both ports can end up backfeeding into the switch which can cause problems and ruin the switch. Just because it can work doesn't mean we should recommend it be done that way.