More Video Services app missing!!!

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
After noticing today that there is a new Application Software version (AN416) I rebooted my receiver (which is sometimes necessary to make sure that the new versions of the apps actually show up) and then went to the Apps Menu to see if I could find out what had changed. To my surprise, the More Video Services app is now completely missing!

For those who are unfamiliar with this app, it was a great way to get caught up on shows from several Disney-owned channels. (ABC, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Jr.) Many of these shows were not available through the regular On Demand menu. Even with the series that are available On Demand, the More Video Services app would tend to have more episodes available, since they stayed available through the app longer than the On Demand version remained available. Now, this important (for my viewing habits) resource is gone!

I noticed this issue on both my Wally and Hopper Duo. Are those of you with other receiver models also seeing the same thing? (The More Video Services app used to be in the 3rd row on the Apps Menu screen when it was still available.) Is Dish having some sort of dispute with Disney?

If this app was removed in order to make room for YouTube and YouTube Kids finally coming to the Hopper Duo and/or Wally sometime soon (literally soon, not "Dish Soon") then I can forgive Dish for removing More Video Services to allow them to include a more popular streaming app. Otherwise, this is just one more case of Dish taking something away from us, and not giving us anything to replace it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I think they just moved it to the On Demand icon. Scroll down 8 lines to Browse by Channel. The Disney channel, Freeform, and ABC are in the list. Disney X and Disney Jr. are in the Kids and Family row.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think they just moved it to the On Demand icon. Scroll down 8 lines to Browse by Channel. The Disney channel, Freeform, and ABC are in the list. Disney X and Disney Jr. are in the Kids and Family row.
The On Demand has been there all along. I am referring to the app announced in this thread from 2016:
The first post in that thread has pictures of the app.

The app used to have shows that are not available in the On Demand section. For example, the ABC section in the app had many episodes of What Would You Do? that said in the info (in the description at the top of the screen) that they would be available to watch until some date in 2022 or 2023. (I forget which, but I know it wasn't this year.) That entire series is now no longer available On Demand. The ABC section you listed under Browse By Channel does not list What Would You Do? A voice search for "What Would You Do?" only brings up "Record When Available" on the Info screen when selecting either icon in the search banner. Skipping forward to the Episodes tab shows "No Episodes Available."

By the way, on my Wally, Browse By Channel is the 7th line in On Demand, so your receiver must have an extra line that mine does not have.

By the way, on my Wally, Browse By Channel is the 7th line in On Demand, so your receiver must have an extra line that mine does not have.[/QUOTE]

On my Hopper3
Line 1 = Unexplained Watch Event
Line 2 = Free Movies
Line 3 = Movies for Rent
Line 4 = Free TV Shows
Line 5 = Movies for Purchase
Line 6 = 4K Movies and Shows
Line 7 = Kids
Line 8 = Browse by Channel
Line 9 = Featured Collections
Line 10 = Latino
Line 11 = International

I believe Line 6 would be missing on a Walley since the Walley can not do 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
I believe Line 6 would be missing on a Walley since the Walley can not do 4K.
Yes, that explains it. It still baffles me why Dish has not come out with a 4K version of the Wally. This is especially puzzling since Dish seems to push the Wally as the only solution for RV's, trying to steer those customers away from Hoppers. Doesn't Dish know that many of those RV'ers have 4K TV's? Also, not everyone wants to pay $15 per month in DVR fees just for access to 4K.

There was another new software download this morning. Hopper Duo software version U635 (with Application Software version AN416b) did not bring back the More Video Services app. :(

However, it did change the layout of the On Demand menu, which now has larger tiles, and show descriptions at the top of the screen instead of on the right-hand side of the screen like they were before. Look at this as a preview of the changes that may be coming to other sections of the interface (such as the Home screen, DVR screen, etc.) if Dish wants to be consistent about how we access our content, and the graphics that are displayed when we do so.

My Wally did not automatically download the new software version, so I just completed a manual update on both of mine using the Upgrade Software tool. U809 made the same change to the On Demand menu that I described for the Hopper Duo above. Additionally, on the Wally, it added the OTA Signal Lost pop-up 739. (This pop-up was added to the Hopper Duo by a previous software version late last year. Other Hopper models have had the 739 pop-up for much longer than that, so it is nice to see the Wally finally catch up.) One other change in both U809 (Wally) and U635 (Hopper Duo) is that the Search icon is now the first icon in the Main Menu. If I spot any other changes, I will let you know. It seems like the Hopper Duo and Wally software updates usually don't get their own thread here. So, perhaps this thread could be repurposed for that, if the mods feel like changing the title. Apparently, not very many people are interested in the loss of the More Video Services app.

One other change that U809 made to the Wally is that the standby screensaver now has different advertisements like the Hopper receivers have had for a long time. Prior to this software, the only advertisement that ever appeared on the Wally screensaver was for the Remote Finder feature.

I was on the new On-Demand menu today and I saw what I think is new - On-Demand Subscriptions? I didn't go through all the choices but it's a subgroup of Browse By Channel

WXPdYNb.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
I was on the new On-Demand menu today and I saw what I think is new - On-Demand Subscriptions? I didn't go through all the choices but it's a subgroup of Browse By Channel

View attachment 144167
Those have been there for awhile. (At least since early last year, if not earlier, but Dish does continue to add new ones from time to time.) If you subscribe to any of these channels, they show up as a collapsible channel 296 (I think that is the right number. Anyway, it is somewhere in that range, near the regular On Demand channel 300.) in the guide. Otherwise, these subscription On Demand channels are hidden from the guide.

And, with Application Software version AN418, the More Video Services app is still missing.
(And, this horse is still dead. :deadhorse )

• Sad
Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Those have been there for awhile. (At least since early last year, if not earlier, but Dish does continue to add new ones from time to time.) If you subscribe to any of these channels, they show up as a collapsible channel 296 (I think that is the right number. Anyway, it is somewhere in that range, near the regular On Demand channel 300.) in the guide. Otherwise, these subscription On Demand channels are hidden from the guide.

And, with Application Software version AN418, the More Video Services app is still missing.
(And, this horse is still dead. :deadhorse )
Thanks Crod. I had never seen t hose before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)