morgan murphy media (WKBT, WISC, KXLY, KVEW) and dish network in dispute.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ive tried many times to get a waiver from AAD for ABC, and I get shot down every time by KXLY. Given the circumstances, I really hope they approve it this time. They should at the very least let me have my ABC programming from another market if they cant reach an agreement with Dish.

Took me a long time to get a CBS/FOX waiver, but it was worth it and it grandfathers forever.

We all know they will. Gotta love people cheering for other people to lose channels they enjoy.

And we all know it is DISH's fault, right? I read the press releases and see only a one-sided view. If DISH has contracts with everyone else in the area, why is it that only the MMM owned ones will not be contracted? Is DISH not negotiating in good faith (that is the implication of what I read) or could it be possible that it is Morgan Murphy Media that may be making unreasonable demands? Personally, if I were in any of those markets, I would tell the TV station that if they do not want DISH to retransmit their signal, then I will not spend the money for an antenna to pick them up locally and would find an alternative. With all the streaming going on these days, there is no sense in being held hostage by either DISH or Morgan Murphy Media.

Dish and Bayou City Broadcasting settled their dispute, so their is still hope that it could happen in this case...

And we all know it is DISH's fault, right? I read the press releases and see only a one-sided view. If DISH has contracts with everyone else in the area, why is it that only the MMM owned ones will not be contracted?

Sure but you can also turn that argument the other way around. If every other provider in the area is able to come to an agreement with the channel why can't Dish?

If it was September 2011, I'd tell people not to worry, because locals are usually pulled for a short while. But people in Atlanta have been waiting for Dish to resolve a dispute with WPCH 17.

What's the dispute over? I didn't think providers usually paid to carry local channels. Is it a multicast thing?

Nine times out of ten in my mind, it's the stations that are unreasonable. Why they charge anything at all to retransmit OTA stations is beyond me. It should really be the other way around because they are using the service providers resources to increase their potential audience. That means more ad dollars for them and better ratings. That stations are just being greedy because they see DISH coming up to renew their agreement and see dollar signs. If they really cared about the communities they serve, then they should just make nice and agree.

When disputes over carriage fees occur, there needs to be some way to settle them than just one party holding their breath and stomping their feet. Maybe this isn't the realm of the FCC, but someone needs to create some kind of 3rd party that can look at the facts and come to a decision that is fair and in the public's interest. Cause really, the only people that are truely missing out and hurting is us, the viewers. And there's unfortunaly no one looking out for us.

I hope both parties some to their senses soon... it's kinda funny that they are doing this when I'm switching to a receiver that can't get OTA signals. DISH better hurry up and get that adapter out pronto!

Last edited:
Following is the e-mail that I received today, and my CBS channel isn't available via satellite. A screen when you tune to that channel has salient points from the e-mail.

Dear Charise,

As you may
know, Morgan Murphy Media, the owner of WKBT, your local CBS affiliate, has
blocked this station from DISH customers. DISH has been negotiating with the
station in good faith and offers the best value in home entertainment by
protecting you from such unnecessary price increases.

Morgan Murphy Media
has demanded an outrageous rate increase of 200%. While it claims to be
only asking for pennies per day, its demand would be like charging $12 for a
gallon of milk and then saying it is only pennies more per sip. The reality is
that Morgan Murphy is demanding millions of dollars more over the life of a
contract.

DISH has negotiated agreements with hundreds of stations in the
past year, and many just this month, without interruption of service to our
valued customers. We know with certainty that the rates we are offering are fair
and in line with the marketplace. The bottom line is that we are open to a fair
and reasonable increase in Morgan Murphy’s fees.

In fact, DISH has made
two specific offers to avoid this disruption of service, including:

-Offering to unconditionally extend while we continue to negotiate

-Offering to pay the same fees our primary competitors pay

Morgan Murphy
flatly refused all of these offers. The decision to withhold programming rests
100% with Morgan Murphy Media.

It is obvious that Morgan Murphy is
blatantly attempting to hold DISH customers and the NCAA basketball tournament
hostage in an effort to extract above market rates. This action is detrimental
to the viewing public. After all, WKBT is broadcast for free over the air via a
federal license intended to serve the public’s interests.

If you would
like to encourage Morgan Murphy Media to reach a fair agreement with DISH, you
may wish to reach out to:

Scott Chorski, VP/General Manager
(608)
782-4678
schorski@wkbt.com

Sincerely,
DISH

I had been in contact with Scott Chorski, the general manager at WKBT, earlier this week. He sent me a thoughtful e-mail about the station's costs. However, he didn't say that the retransmission by Dish was adding any costs. I asked specifically about that, and I haven't received an answer yet. He only mentioned trying to get advertisers, the added cost of digital HD, and the tough economic times.

It appears to me that Morgan Murphy Media is just trying to tap into a revenue source that they see as having deep pockets. I have no idea if any of that is "trickling down" to the stations themselves.

The governor of Wisconsin has already "legislated" away over 10% of my pay each year. At this time more than ever, I'm against anything that will raise costs to me.

Poor WKBT and these tough economic times:rolleyes::rolleyes: Gimmie a break!!! Its so tough on them they decide to raise rates on the very people that keep them in business.

Just fire that overrated Martha Koloski on WKBT and there wouldn't be a dispute! That's the only good thing about this whole thing, I don't have to see her at noon, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)