Mosquito Noise

redelephants

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Panhandle Florida
Can anyone tell me if they are noticing mosquito noise, especially found in the background areas on HD channels? I am noticing alot of this noise and is ruining my picture quality. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to come and go lasting for days at a time. I have tried everything possible to track down this problem to no end. I can also see this noise OTA through my 722k. Any suggestions? BTW I have 1000.2 setup.

I got to thinking, my receiver is in an entertainment tower with an open front, could this be a overheat/lack of ventilation problem. Will high heat cause the distortion of video? I understand the video processor is located near the hard drive.

none here

I have no problems w/ Mos noise. I've a 722k which goes to a Yamaha 7.1 (w/ 2 additional spatial speakers for 9.1) and then it goes to a Panny 42" 1080p plasma. No problems at all. I've calibrated my set using the HDNet test pattern and It looks really good (but Blu-Ray is a bit better). So I think you need an adjustment or there is a problem w/ your set.

The only other time I've heard this complaint (so, yeah.... I've heard of "mosquito noise" before... heheheh) it turned out to be a variable speed cooling fan in one of the AV components. It was failing and the interference it was putting out was actually messing with the video signal. changed the fan. Problem gone.

It's worth a look. If you even SUSPECT your AV receiver, next time it's happening, shut the receiver off. I have my receiver handling sound but the TV is doing all the video switching. So I can shut off my receiver and still have video.

Can anyone tell me if they are noticing mosquito noise, especially found in the background areas on HD channels? I am noticing alot of this noise and is ruining my picture quality. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to come and go lasting for days at a time. I have tried everything possible to track down this problem to no end. I can also see this noise OTA through my 722k. Any suggestions? BTW I have 1000.2 setup.

i have never heard of that term before ... but i have heard of what i call "video noise" if the video on a show is too high ... it might tear the pic & also make a static or buzzing noise... if it is from a station the only thing you can do about it is turn the contrast or brightness down on the tv.... sometimes if you have a modulated signal you can turn down the video on the modulator & get the same result... i have gotten tv stations before to turn down there video because it was to hot ....

What is crazy is that the noise I am seeing has been seen on several different sets at several different locations. I am beginning to wonder if we have some type of interference in my area. It is driving me crazy to no end. The noise is also seen OTA. What is strange is that it comes and goes but will last for days if not weeks at a time then is gone for a few days. I do live near doppler radar and several other radar as I am located near an extremely large AFB. Any suggestions???

Trouble shooting time

What is crazy is that the noise I am seeing has been seen on several different sets at several different locations. I am beginning to wonder if we have some type of interference in my area. It is driving me crazy to no end. The noise is also seen OTA. What is strange is that it comes and goes but will last for days if not weeks at a time then is gone for a few days. I do live near doppler radar and several other radar as I am located near an extremely large AFB. Any suggestions???

1st a question do you see it on any other source other than E* sat system? If not then there is a good chance it is coming in thru either the the OTA connection or the sat lines. This is a step by step trouble shooting. Is it all the time or worse at certain times than others? Go thru these cks and maybe we can figure out what is the problem.

1st a question do you see it on any other source other than E* sat system? If not then there is a good chance it is coming in thru either the the OTA connection or the sat lines. This is a step by step trouble shooting. Is it all the time or worse at certain times than others? Go thru these cks and maybe we can figure out what is the problem.

Not on local sources i.e. Blu-Ray, DVD. I have seen it on D*, E*, and OTA. I have seen it on D* and OTA at my work location. It has an effect on both SD and HD. It doesn't happen all the time but seems to happen 90% of the time. It can really be noticed during fast motion scenes. Viewing SD content it can be seen during fast and slow motion. Perhaps I can try and take come video to help clarify the noise. HD content shows the distortion best during slow motion. When I pause my 722k and slow motion 1/15th its extremely noticeable. I can see the same distortion via TV2 while doing this also with both SAT material and OTA material.

Last edited:
OTA?

Not on local sources i.e. Blu-Ray, . I have seen it on D*, E*, and OTA. I have seen it on D* and OTA at my work location. It has an effect on both SD and HD. It doesn't happen all the time but seems to happen 90% of the time. It can really be noticed during fast motion scenes. Viewing SD content it can be seen during fast and slow motion. Perhaps I can try and take come video to help clarify the noise. HD content shows the distortion best during slow motion. When I pause my 722k and slow motion 1/15th its extremely noticeable. I can see the same distortion via TV2 while doing this also with both SAT material and OTA material.

Is it OTA thru the D* & E* boxes only or both thru the boxes & direct to the TV's? Another thing has your signals just gone completely in short burst at times?

Is it OTA thru the D* & E* boxes only or both thru the boxes & direct to the TV's? Another thing has your signals just gone completely in short burst at times?

OTA thru 722 as well as TV's built in tuners. I have noticed on seperate OTA channels through different TVs tuners. The signal never really goes just stays distored for long periods, weeks at time.

If what you are seeing really is mosquito noise there is nothing you can do about it since it is a compression artifact. Personally, I see it all the time on E* and OTA broadcasts...need to go to Blu-Ray before it goes away.

Verify your sharpness setting (set too high it is more evident) and the closer you are to the TV the easier it will be to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)