Most awful officiating calls you can recall

LMAO....maybe grazed the mask from THAT ANGLE. But other angles show his helmet is not touched and the 'snapping of the neck' comes from the hit from HIS BLIND side....but we all know that could never happen....the neck snap back because of a blind side hit....LOL:rolleyes:

Wait a second, I thought his head didn't move?? :rolleyes:

And what is this obsession with the camera angles? So the "side angle" doesn't show Woodson hitting Brady's helmet, but the "front angle" clearly shows he does. Doesn't that make the other angles a moot point (I mean as far as hitting the helmet goes).

Now, if you don't think that's roughing the passer- fine- we'll agree to disagree. But if we're arguing over Brady getting hit in the head, and one camera angle shows he didn't and the other shows he clearly did.......which replay do you go by?

i agree with post # 2

Attachments

• 1985 World Series - The Call.jpg
    1985 World Series - The Call.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 84
2) The home run stolen by Jeffrey Maier during the 1996 Playoffs between the Orioles and the Yankees. Tony Tarrasco is clearly camped under the ball and this kid reached over the wall to steal it. It was so obvious he did, the kid almost fell onto the field in how far he was leaning over the wall in right. The umps called it a home run to tie the game in the 8th inning....they go on the win the game and the Series...

Yeah, as an O's fan - I was steamed that Richie Garcia called that a homerun. How would baseball history have changed if, as Bob Costas said on the NBC telecast, "the Maier (Mayor) of Baltimore," had not stolen that homerun. The O's would have won 4 World Series in 5 years . . . and the Yankees would have been relegated to the "ash heap of history." (well, not with Peter Angelos as owner).

Jon Miller, who was then the O's radio announcer, was steamed at that call - on air.

Yeah, as an O's fan - I was steamed that Richie Garcia called that a homerun. How would baseball history have changed if, as Bob Costas said on the NBC telecast, "the Maier (Mayor) of Baltimore," had not stolen that homerun. The O's would have won 4 World Series in 5 years . . . and the Yankees would have been relegated to the "ash heap of history." (well, not with Peter Angelos as owner).

Jon Miller, who was then the O's radio announcer, was steamed at that call - on air.

Another DBSForums buddy- lance, AKA that guy who is a Redskins fan (I think.)

3) Another "phantom call", the dreaded Huge Hollins call on the Bulls during the Bulls vs. Knicks playoffs in 1996. The so-called foul on Scotty Pippin was so bad, the Knicks fans were shocked they got the call(I know because I was working for Sports media in Chicago at the time and I was on the team covering the Bulls in NYC) that the response at the Gardens was delayed gasp AND cheer. The clearly clean block would have sealed the win for the Bulls and they would have won in Chicago(the Knicks that year, without Michael Jordan, were terrible in Chicago...go figure....).

Actually, that was in Game 5 of the '94 playoffs. It was in the Eastern Conference Semifinals at Madison Square Garden. What an intense playoff series that was!!!

I remember Pippen dunking on Ewing at Chicago Stadium and straddling over him in Game 6. I remember the fight between Derek Harper and Jo-Jo English that almost spilled over into the sideline area where commissioner David Stern was courtside observing the melee. I remember with 1.8 seconds left in the 3rd game of that series and the Bulls tied with the Knicks, Chicago coach Phil Jackson called on Kukoc to hit the game winning shot. Pippen, steamed at Jackson, sulked on the bench while Kukoc hit the game winner to get the Bulls back in the series.

But Hue Hollins decided the series with his phantom foul call of Scottie Pippen on Hubert Davis. Bad, very bad!

Good to see you again lance.

Good to be back!!! The worst call I have ever seen or heard is Phil Luckett's inability to correctly hear a simple call of a coin toss in the Thanksgiving Day game between the Lions and Steelers in 1998.

I was watching the game with a lot of people in my family over Thanksgiving dinner. Usually, in a large setting like that, all the guys over talking over the announcers and we can barely hear each other. But when Luckett blew the call, the den shuddered in muted silence. No one in the room could believe that the ref did not hear Jerome Bettis correctly.

In that case, lance,

your thoughts on the Skins getting Jason Taylor?

It's a great effort by the Skins, especially after Phillip Daniels got injured for the season. My only concern is that Taylor is not as big or heavy to be durable to get through a 16 game season.

He will have to deal with big bulky tackles like the Cowboys Colombo or Flozell Adams, the Giants McKenzie or David Diehl, the Eagles Runyan or William Thomas twice a year. I am pretty sure the NFC East has the biggest offensive tackles in the entire league; and since Taylor is so much more of a speed rusher who relies more on his balance, agility, and quickness instead of his pure strength, he may struggle.

Oh man! How'd I forget! Thanks for the reminder Brainfry!

"Bottle Throwing Incident"-- Dec. 16, 2001.

During the Browns '01 home finale against Jacksonville,
the crowd of 72,818 reacted angrily when an apparent reception by Cleveland's Quincy Morgan at the Jacksonville 9-yard line was overruled on instant replay by referee Terry McAulay.

But the thing was, that wasn't what pissed everyone off.....

The fans' outburst came after the Browns had a first down at Jacksonville's 9-yard line taken away despite having run a play before the officials reviewed it! Officials stopped the game and decided to review the previous play!

Eventually the catch was overturn, which led to
the Jaguars' victory and ended the Browns' playoff chances.

The decision enraged the thousands of fans and players. As Cleveland's bench erupted in protest, Browns fans in the Dawg Pound bleacher section closest to the play began hurling bottles and other objects from the stands.

After a delay of several minutes, with no end of the flying bottles in sight, McAulay declared the game over and sent the teams off the field. Fans pelted the Jaguars with bottles as they went up the stadium tunnel.

Then things got really interesting.

Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin was 10 minutes into his postgame news conference when McAulay summoned him with word that NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue had called personally with orders to play the game's final 48 seconds.

So with thousands of angry fans still in the stands and several players from both teams already showered and wearing business suits, the Jaguars and Browns came out to watch Brunell kneel twice to end the game

Ahh, what many, too, forget inspired such a response was the fact that the Browns had been victimized by a similar call a couple weeks ago with the opposite result. I believe it as overtime in the Bears-Browns game (could have been before), and the Bears were driving. A Bears receiver appeared to make a reception with only one foot in bounds, but it was called complete. The Bears quickly ran another play before the replay booth had signaled for the review. After the second play, the officials indicated that although they did receive a request to review the previous call, they couldn't as another play had run.

Then, in the Jags game, same situation, opposite result. We could take the one, but not both being called in the opposite way.

Judging by salsa and jwfgeol's team loyalties,

I can't wait to see the trash-talking when Florida goes into Neyland Stadium... when is that?

Actually, I went to Florida State and my sports loyalties are with The U(LONG story and not enough alcohol around to go into details.....;)) As far the trash talk....IF we are talking about "you team sucks and my team is better".....I really don't do that. I call it the way I see and when MY teams sucks, as the old saying goes...."the is no shame in my game......!" I will tell you, MY TEAM SUCKS. I have no visions of grandure. I have been the the sport media and in the business long enough to know NOT to think with my heart....and damn it ain't easy....and to think with me head. Probably the main reason I do not play that fantasy bull****. How can ANY sports fan actually root for someone to do well against their own team....that is sacrilidge(sp?)....but that is for another argument.

That is why I don' talk sh*t......you can win/be in the Super Bowl one year and suck beans the next......2 Marlins World Series and 1 Heat NBA championship taught me that....

Wait a second, I thought his head didn't move?? :rolleyes:

And what is this obsession with the camera angles? So the "side angle" doesn't show Woodson hitting Brady's helmet, but the "front angle" clearly shows he does. Doesn't that make the other angles a moot point (I mean as far as hitting the helmet goes).

Now, if you don't think that's roughing the passer- fine- we'll agree to disagree. But if we're arguing over Brady getting hit in the head, and one camera angle shows he didn't and the other shows he clearly did.......which replay do you go by?

Sorry....you must have me confused with someone else because I don't recall saying anything about his head not moving.....And during the game, they had 4 angles showing what happend, the 2 side angle shows his head was not touch, the front LOOK like it did and the angle behind did not tell you etiehr way....which replay do you go by.....? NONE, that is called INCONCLUSIVE evidence. The call ON THE FIELD was fumble, NOT tuck...there was not enough evidence in the video to change the call on the field.....the announcers said it, the reporters in various sports news said it.....and yet, the guy in the booth said there was enough to overturn the ruling on the field....THAT guy should have been drug tested more than Ricky Williams after a trip to the Far East!

Probably the main reason I do not play that fantasy bull****. How can ANY sports fan actually root for someone to do well against their own team....that is sacrilidge(sp?)....but that is for another argument
My thoughts exactly! The day I'm glad that some guy ran for an 80 yard TD against my team because it scored some fantasy points is the day I quit being a sports fan.

If that's the case, why haven't you admitted as much about your Raiders?! ;):D

Apparently, you have not been here long enough to see when I 1st started posting here, I use to call the Raiders, the Jokeland Faiders....believe me, no one here has been harder on my Raiders than I have. Infact, I can assure you that I have been harder on my team than 90% of the people in here. Other than the Detroit Lions fans....no one has been harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)