Most people don't know what FTA satellite TV is

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd love to see a joint effort with our friends in Canada and in England. There's a lot of great programs that they have many of us would enjoy. With a service like that as an alternative to the pizza guys...well that might just work. Fta? or a low cost service. Hey it could easily be on one satellite 123w? Blind

Unfortunately I think if we did raise awareness of FTA and the big players really started to notice a drop in revenue, they would likely have some of their "friends in high places" do something about it.
As for there being talk of OTA not being free anymore, what the hell are we watching the endless commercials for? I thought that was supposed to pay for it.
The only channels you pay for and don't have to watch commercials seem to be the movie channels and they seem to be doing just fine! Someone is lining their pockets quite nicely.

I don't know what most of that means but Linux, IS better and cheaper.
I was ripped off so many times with windows and had so much trouble and threw away so much money I switched to Linux. (Well, besides my Macs).

Same thing just like FTA satellite, I go to buy computer parts and they tell me I can't buy the part unless I buy a copy of windows with it. I tell them "No, I don't use windows and don't want it." and they accuse me of pirating bootleg windows.
"No ma'am, you can't run a computer without windows, you are required by law to buy a copy of windows with this part. If you're pirating windows you can go to jail!"

Idiots. So I just go to somewhere else and buy what I want.

Why are people so ignorant like that? Or are they just trying to scare me into buying something I don't want and don't need, just to cheat me out of more money?

you are right on this . they are ignorant and trying to cheat you out of money at the same time.

I'd love to see a joint effort with our friends in Canada and in England. There's a lot of great programs that they have many of us would enjoy. With a service like that as an alternative to the pizza guys...well that might just work. Fta? or a low cost service. Hey it could easily be on one satellite 123w? Blind

There's not much free here in Canada! Even our "national broadcasting system" CBC is not available for free unless you are within OTA reception range. And it's government funded. Pretty sad!

One of the things Jamal perhaps could look into could come from the broadcaster's end. Back when Equity Broadcasting was around, they knew full well we enjoyed watching. Member "Gas" ( Gary Lee Robbins from RTN) was even posting here promoting upcoming special events and programming changes.

Although totally out of bounds as viewers contacting uplinkers, for good reasons, what about others doing this on our behalf? Many channels I enjoyed have come and gone, like KCSG comes to mind.

IMHO, we need more Glorystar type insider contact/ input like Brian has. If something concrete was available and not frowned upon as viewers but welcome as an audience everyone could benefit. From the viewers, advertisers to the equipment vendors, something for everyone.

I welcome the day that more channels like THIS TV and other rumored offerings from Luken (RTV) become available. A sizable audience is already waiting right here.

I hate to think that after the gov't used my tax dollars to pay for the DTV conversion, they would even consider allowing OTA to go into a paid system. Talk about something I would never pay a penny towards. :rant:

I have said it 100 times and I will say it again. The only people intrested in FTA television are the people on this board, as one of DISH Networks largest retailers I can tell you that people don't know or care about FTA satellite TV.

First of all the typical consumer is NOT going to do their own installation, they are going to want to hire someone to do it for them, and with a $100 receiver and atleast $100 on installation the minimum price to get into FTA television is around the $200-$300 range for most people.

Second of all, with no subscription Fees, service calls cost money! Its hard enough to get people to pay $29 to send out a technician when their Dish Network goes down, you really think people are going to pay $65+ for someone to come out to repair a FTA system?

Third, There is no programming that intrests people. Granted you got the international channels which go well with the ethnic population, but for the typical "American" consumer, without their favorite channels like USA, CNN, HBO, Free to Air television holds little value to them. FTA was only popular when you could use it to steal programming from DISH Network.

Finally, you can compair FTA to almost a Digital antenna installation. I have seen lots of people put out $20-30 for a pair of dinky rabbit ears to use with their goverment subsidized converter box, but very rarely I have found people willing to pay $200 for a quality antenna installation

Before panicking over losing OTA, it probably wouldn't hurt to remember that most OTA channels are not owned by the big networks (although there are exceptions in big markets), and any of this only-rumored move wouldn't happen without some stations putting up a big fight. Besides, they wouldn't be going away -- they'd be hundreds of stations that suddenly are looking for new programming and a new identity.

Personally, I think it'd be a colossally stupid idea to relinquish a local identity and all-but guaranteed coverage to go join the faceless channels on cable. Right now you're FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC with people on the ground in every sizable city in the country hawking your goods. Take all of that away, and try telling the NFL or Olympics that you're the channel they should spend millions on.

Claude, I am amazed at how much misinformation was in that post.

You have nicely summed up why people don't get into fta satellite. If you are newly interested in satellite tv then you go to a satellite tv store. If you walk into one of those havens of satellite expertise they will tell you that "There is no programming that intrests people" and fta stbs only exist, "to steal programming from DISH Network." The reason that they tell you this is because these satellite retailers only sell contracts to dish network or directv. I can remember how discouraging it was trying to get started in fta with nearly no local sources. There were once local sources for ku and c-band satellite but they became Dish installers.

You do not have to spend $300 to get started in satellite. You need a $25-$35 used box from ebay and an old superdish (or something similar) found free locally.

Likewise you do not need a $200 antenna for ota. If you are having trouble you can build an antenna for less than $10 and get a pre-amp from ebay for another $10. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a "digital" tv antenna there are only tv antennas.

All of that information can be found on this site which is what makes this site so valuable.

Unfortunately while you are wrong about the cost you are correct that most people still are not interested in the content. This is why I suggested a box which can stream media as well as tune ota and fta. People would buy it to watch internet media and then you could offer the ota pvr and the satellite as add ons. These would actually be built in already but you would be selling the hard drive, pre-amps, dish, and lnbfs to enable them.

I would love to see FTA receivers someday have the ability to accept access cards that would allow backyard dish owners to legally subscribe to top CATV channels like USA nd FOOD on an ala carte basis like digicipher II receivers.

Even back in the late 80's when channels started scrambling using the videocipher there were still channels such as Shop At Home, Dr. Scott, etc that remained unscrambled. These could have been considered to be FTA in my opinion, because a person could own an IRD and not subscribe to any programming.

I would love to see FTA receivers someday have the ability to accept access cards that would allow backyard dish owners to legally subscribe to top CATV channels like USA nd FOOD on an ala carte basis like digicipher II receivers.

Even back in the late 80's when channels started scrambling using the videocipher there were still channels such as Shop At Home, Dr. Scott, etc that remained unscrambled. These could have been considered to be FTA in my opinion, because a person could own an IRD and not subscribe to any programming.

Perhaps the reason why we don't have a "PAY" FTA is because of Direct and Dish. Maybe the networks are scared that Dish and Direct could maybe use their influence and leverage to threaten to cut off those channels that "bypass" their established system.

Perhaps the reason why we don't have a "PAY" FTA is because of Direct and Dish. Maybe the networks are scared that Dish and Direct could maybe use their influence and leverage to threaten to cut off those channels that "bypass" their established system.

What is the government doing about these two monopolies and their antitrust practices?

Several thoughts

I could not convince my brother on the merits of FTA - - - then I offered to setup a motorized dish for him. We did it together and he likes it but he is still not head over heals about FTA like I am.

Just one of many problems is that people want the easy way - - - like others have said DISH and DirecTV make it very easy but as prices go up this year for both more folks will be looking for alternatives.

I have offers to setup FTA from my mom and sisters but they are not interested. They really are not TV watchers anyway.

One area not meantioned so far is that FTA gives you a different view of the world - - - When I watch Al Jezerra or CCTV 9 or Press TV - - - I get a different view of the news than CBS, NBC, CNN or FOX. I think that is healthy and sometimes enlightening.

I agree with others that FTA will not catch on like wild fire - - - I say this because I'm still getting free dishes without trying to hard - - - and folks just don't want to fiddle with it.

One area not meantioned so far is that FTA gives you a different view of the world - - - When I watch Al Jezerra or CCTV 9 or Press TV - - - I get a different view of the news than CBS, NBC, CNN or FOX. I think that is healthy and sometimes enlightening.

This is the original brain washing that makes the masses believe that America's press is not censored. DISH and DirecTV has picked up on this to sell their services to the same mass of people.

What is the government doing about these two monopolies and their antitrust practices?

Bending over to the lobbyists money, power and influence.

Elected officials and 527 groups are accepting hard and soft money.

Civil servants use their position to better themselves personally. They network amongst the corporations and trade organizations to make a place in private industry after they retire from government. Then, they can work in private industry and retire from there as well.

If this doesn't happen directly with those two monopolies, it happens with the suppliers who sell them stuff, or customers that buy stuff from them.

Cha-CHING!
:smug

When I watch Al Jezerra or CCTV 9 or Press TV - - - I get a different view of the news than CBS, NBC, CNN or FOX. I think that is healthy and sometimes enlightening.

:up Right on! You do not see any crap like Britney Spears or Tiger Woods going nuts on any of those stations!!! Just the real stuff!

Then there is ABC (Alqeada Broadcasting Company) that gives excess free airtime and publicity which creates more problems! :rant:

The news on FTA is worth it alone!!! :)

...Same thing just like FTA satellite, I go to buy computer parts and they tell me I can't buy the part unless I buy a copy of windows with it. I tell them "No, I don't use windows and don't want it." and they accuse me of pirating bootleg windows.
"No ma'am, you can't run a computer without windows, you are required by law to buy a copy of windows with this part. If you're pirating windows you can go to jail!"

LOL. What computer "parts" did you try to buy where they required you to buy a windows license?

True, vendors usually bundle Windows with PC systems. But some people actually read the license agreement and don't assent to the terms. Then, they have a helluva time trying to return the windows license for credit. But it can be done.

...One area not meantioned so far is that FTA gives you a different view of the world - - - When I watch Al Jezerra or CCTV 9 or Press TV - - - I get a different view of the news than CBS, NBC, CNN or FOX. I think that is healthy and sometimes enlightening.

I like many, believe the mainstream US media is slanted toward particular sociopolitical views. Nevertheless, you don't have to have faith in the propaganda value of Al Jazeera, Press TV or CCTV. AlJazeera was founded by the Qatar government. Press TV and CCTV don't have commercials because they are funded by the government... The governments of Iran and China...

Those news channels were patterned after the BBC. Just because they feel and sometimes look like the BBC doesn't count with me...

Last edited:
Just keep in mind guys, every journalist knows there is no such thing on Earth as "news". Its all made up, carefully selected by editorial stuff from chaotic world events and presented to audience in a particular way that suites the News Outlet's agenda, i.e. pockets and political goals of those who owns the broadcaster or is its major sponsor. Such "news" also tend to be repeated endlessly following known mass brain washing methodology to create broader support for or influence particular actions. That's why it sounds a lot more diverse and "objective", when "news" are received from organizations like CNN, Fox, Al Jazeera, Russia Today... funded by principally different interest groups. ;)

Returning to main question of this thread "How to get people interested in FTA", I think the OP knows the answer (it sure takes skills to pickup the right topic like this one to discuss), but the task seems to be too big and complex to master by a few sat dealers without policy makers and major interest groups involved. Looking at FTA status in Europe, such proliferation was mostly sponsored by governments of multiple neighboring states for geopolitical reasons. And its hardly repeatable in NA conditions, unless major interest groups would see it useful for them to such a degree that it worse serious investment and effort. ;)

It seems like a few large broadcasters have found the right combo of sponsoring content creation, developing broadcast medium, and offering own equipment and services to protect and nourish the fruit that's actually working for most of population quite well. It may be hard to repeat such success by pursuing a totally different path, which still needs to be invented.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)